Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are Super Feet okay or should I get the special fitted ones?

Posted by Kristen H. on 2/04/03 at 11:59 (107932)

My doctor mentioned having me fitted for ortho inserts for my plantar fasciitis...are something like Super Feet that I read about on this website okay? I don't think my insurance will pay for the special fiited ones. Do you wear them all the time or only when walking a lot...like exercising? This is all new to me! I am still wearing the silly high heels my doctor prescribed for a month!

I have enjoyed this website, but it is scaring me a little. My doctor made this sound like something no big deal I would be over in a month!

Re: Are Super Feet okay or should I get the special fitted ones?

IanJ on 2/04/03 at 12:16 (107933)

Also look at the PowerStep inserts sold on this site. I wear those all the time but am just trying the Super Feet at home.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/04/03 at 14:42 (107962)

Kristen, if PF is identified very early and treated aggressively with conservative treatments very soon after getting it, it will go away faster. By conservative treatments I mean non-surgical treatments, like orthotics, rest, gentle non-weightbearing stretching, ice, and so on, many of which are described in the heel pain book.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/03 at 15:41 (107977)

Kristen:

It can be a bit difficult to come up with a good answer because one would need to know your need for biomechanical control and how that relates to your PF. Superfeet can be effective if you have a good fit and if your biomechanical need is modest.
Ed

Matt V. on 2/04/03 at 17:38 (107994)

When I went to R.E.I., where I bought my pair of Super Feet, I saw the testimonial blurbs on the box about a cure for PF. I was a bit skeptical. But after a few weeks, the pain was gone. See if they offer a refund if it doesn't work for you. Super Feet, some massage (which is counter to what this website advises - so you may not want to go the massage route) and ice packs, and STRETCHING your legs out real good. This was a winning route for me, along with that prescription for blood thinner. But I think it would have all worked fine if I had just gone with the SUPER FEET. And there is little involved in fitting them - just take a pair of scissors and cut along pre-stenciled lines to fit your shoes. That is ALL there is to it - no rocket science involved here - it just works!

Julie on 2/05/03 at 03:00 (108044)

Kirsten, recalling your earlier posts, all I can say is that I think you may be following the advice of a doctor who doesn't know a lot about feet, and you should get a full examination, evaluation, diagnosis and comprehensive treatment plan from one who does.

OTC inserts like Powerstep or Superfeet may or may not be a help. Trying them, and other bits and pieces of treatment, is a hit-and-miss procedure and will lose you valuable time. Please find and consult a podiatrist.

I notice that you're trying the 'silly high heels' the doctor ordered. Please make sure they're not making you worse. Pay attention to the messages your feet give you.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/05/03 at 10:03 (108076)

Hey Kristen..
If that is what you want to try...feel free. I have to be honest and say that what may work wonders for someone else, may not even touch your condition. The best thing to do is keep asking questions, and maybe even find a C.Ped in your area to talk to. Do keep in mind that if you speak with anyone such as a C.Ped, DPM, Ortho doc..etc...know that you can always come back here and ask out advice on what they told you.

The hard part is finding something that is right for you without spending a ton of money. There is the possibility of insurance coverage, as well as office discounts that you can ask for.
Richard, C.Ped

JoAnn on 2/12/03 at 00:56 (108898)

I wear SUPERFEET all the time in all my shoes, I've also used powersteps, I feel they are a good product and one we can afford. Its worth a try and it just may help you. I would not recommend wearing 'high heels' at all.

Jeff A. on 2/12/03 at 18:23 (108954)

Don't let this website scare you, most of the people posting represent a minorty, chronic cases. Most people get good results with treatment, lifestyle changes, arch supports etc.
In my chiropractic practice, I treat PF with manipulation as needed of the ankle and feet, knees, hips , sacroiliac joints and spine. I refer for orthotics and use ultrasound (pulsed and/or continuous). Adjustments are very effective if there is talus dysfunction(ankle). From a chiropractic perspective, correcting biomechanics is important before making custom orthotics to decrease the chance of being fit in pathomechanics. In other words, if your back is out, it will affect the way you stand and walk.
Dr. Jeff

IanJ on 2/13/03 at 01:39 (108983)

Ok, I only use the Superfeet now and I prefer them to the Powersteps.

IanJ on 2/04/03 at 12:16 (107933)

Also look at the PowerStep inserts sold on this site. I wear those all the time but am just trying the Super Feet at home.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/04/03 at 14:42 (107962)

Kristen, if PF is identified very early and treated aggressively with conservative treatments very soon after getting it, it will go away faster. By conservative treatments I mean non-surgical treatments, like orthotics, rest, gentle non-weightbearing stretching, ice, and so on, many of which are described in the heel pain book.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/03 at 15:41 (107977)

Kristen:

It can be a bit difficult to come up with a good answer because one would need to know your need for biomechanical control and how that relates to your PF. Superfeet can be effective if you have a good fit and if your biomechanical need is modest.
Ed

Matt V. on 2/04/03 at 17:38 (107994)

When I went to R.E.I., where I bought my pair of Super Feet, I saw the testimonial blurbs on the box about a cure for PF. I was a bit skeptical. But after a few weeks, the pain was gone. See if they offer a refund if it doesn't work for you. Super Feet, some massage (which is counter to what this website advises - so you may not want to go the massage route) and ice packs, and STRETCHING your legs out real good. This was a winning route for me, along with that prescription for blood thinner. But I think it would have all worked fine if I had just gone with the SUPER FEET. And there is little involved in fitting them - just take a pair of scissors and cut along pre-stenciled lines to fit your shoes. That is ALL there is to it - no rocket science involved here - it just works!

Julie on 2/05/03 at 03:00 (108044)

Kirsten, recalling your earlier posts, all I can say is that I think you may be following the advice of a doctor who doesn't know a lot about feet, and you should get a full examination, evaluation, diagnosis and comprehensive treatment plan from one who does.

OTC inserts like Powerstep or Superfeet may or may not be a help. Trying them, and other bits and pieces of treatment, is a hit-and-miss procedure and will lose you valuable time. Please find and consult a podiatrist.

I notice that you're trying the 'silly high heels' the doctor ordered. Please make sure they're not making you worse. Pay attention to the messages your feet give you.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/05/03 at 10:03 (108076)

Hey Kristen..
If that is what you want to try...feel free. I have to be honest and say that what may work wonders for someone else, may not even touch your condition. The best thing to do is keep asking questions, and maybe even find a C.Ped in your area to talk to. Do keep in mind that if you speak with anyone such as a C.Ped, DPM, Ortho doc..etc...know that you can always come back here and ask out advice on what they told you.

The hard part is finding something that is right for you without spending a ton of money. There is the possibility of insurance coverage, as well as office discounts that you can ask for.
Richard, C.Ped

JoAnn on 2/12/03 at 00:56 (108898)

I wear SUPERFEET all the time in all my shoes, I've also used powersteps, I feel they are a good product and one we can afford. Its worth a try and it just may help you. I would not recommend wearing 'high heels' at all.

Jeff A. on 2/12/03 at 18:23 (108954)

Don't let this website scare you, most of the people posting represent a minorty, chronic cases. Most people get good results with treatment, lifestyle changes, arch supports etc.
In my chiropractic practice, I treat PF with manipulation as needed of the ankle and feet, knees, hips , sacroiliac joints and spine. I refer for orthotics and use ultrasound (pulsed and/or continuous). Adjustments are very effective if there is talus dysfunction(ankle). From a chiropractic perspective, correcting biomechanics is important before making custom orthotics to decrease the chance of being fit in pathomechanics. In other words, if your back is out, it will affect the way you stand and walk.
Dr. Jeff

IanJ on 2/13/03 at 01:39 (108983)

Ok, I only use the Superfeet now and I prefer them to the Powersteps.

Re: jeff a ?

BGCPed on 2/13/03 at 17:13 (109087)

So is it possible to change the foots structure and function via chiro adjustments? Could you take say a pronated foot with grade 2 ptti and tight gastroc snd fix it. Would it treat symptoms only or change shape?

Just wondering about it from your angle

Re: jeff a ?

Jeff, D.C. on 2/14/03 at 13:02 (109163)

Pronation and tight gastroc caused by joint dysfunction can be corrected which may reduce symptoms. Sometimes the gostroc isn't the problem it is the talus. Dorsiflexion is restricted and you must determine the cause. A history of inversion sprain is common with talus dysfunction.
With the patient supine, passively dorsiflex both feet and see if one moves less than the other. Also the end feel is different with tight muscles vs. joint restriction. Compare foot position bilaterally with the talus in the neutral position( as you would in fitting orthotics non-weight bearing). You should see good alignment, if one is or both is off it may be joint dysfuntion.

Misalignment of the sacroiliac joints usually results in a functional short leg. Weight bearing, the patient will typically compensate by pronating on the long leg side and suppinating on the short leg side to even the pelvis. This causes tibial rotation bilaterally and stresses the knees. If it is chronic, you will see more wear on the back outside heel of the shoe on the pronated side due to more inversion on heel strike.
So before casting or fitting a custom orthotic, posture and gait analysis can valuable tools in diagnosing the primary cause of various problems.

With the exception of specific medical conditions, foot deformities(congenital or traumatic), anatomic short leg etc., the chiropractic goal is to create as much symmetry and balance as possible bofore prescribing any ortopedic device to prevent 'casting in' pathomechanics.

This chiropractic perspective supports the argument for orthotics that are symetric bilaterally in uncomplicated cases.

I think some chiropractors don't address foot and ankle problems properly in treating spinal problems and vice versa for podiatrists. We need to work together more.
Dr. Jeff