Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 month post surgery update and neurontin question

Posted by lauriel on 2/04/03 at 14:11 (107950)

Well, it has been a long 2 months, this week-end was the first time I have been able to go to the supermarket for the first time (only for a few things) without a lot of soreness and shooting pain without crutches, I still get the shooting pain every so often. I am going to the PT for another month. This has really helped. I had my check up today and the Dr said it will be another 2 months before the swelling is gone and nerve pain is gone, could be longer. He advised me to take Neurontin.

I havent had to take it before so question is. Why would I want to take it now when I am only have occasional pain, it may flare up more once I start walking more, but do I need to? He said it helps with the nerve endings but it didnt sound like it would actually help them heal but rather just make it feel better. I would rather not take it as it sounds like really potent stuff.
Laurie

Re: 2 month post surgery update and neurontin question

Dr Z on 2/04/03 at 14:52 (107968)

I agree with you. If you have pain only on occassion then I see no need for the neurontin medication. If doesn't cure your pain,it only helps to make you feel better. Rest, physical therapy and time should help you alot

lauriel on 2/04/03 at 15:02 (107971)

Thanks for the information that is what I thought. I just need to remember not to push too hard too fast as my PT says.
Thanks
Laurie

Cherie on 2/05/03 at 20:18 (108137)

Laurie, I am recovering from a tibial nerve injury and the neurologist has me on a low dosage of Neurontin (400mg/day) and it does not affect me at all. I take 100 w/breakfast, 100/lunch and 200/bedtime. I notice that it relieves mild pain at this low dosage so I don't have the tingling and aching quite as much. He told me that he wanted me to take it because any pain slows my recovery as well as reduces serotonin levels which leads to depression. I have had no side effects with this low dose at all. My orthopedic surgeon also told me to continue with this dose as it does other things besides relieve pain. Just wanted to let you know that it has worked well for me at this very low dose...Cherie

lauriel on 2/06/03 at 11:00 (108206)

thanks for the information - that is really helpful to know
Laurie

Dr Z on 2/04/03 at 14:52 (107968)

I agree with you. If you have pain only on occassion then I see no need for the neurontin medication. If doesn't cure your pain,it only helps to make you feel better. Rest, physical therapy and time should help you alot

lauriel on 2/04/03 at 15:02 (107971)

Thanks for the information that is what I thought. I just need to remember not to push too hard too fast as my PT says.
Thanks
Laurie

Cherie on 2/05/03 at 20:18 (108137)

Laurie, I am recovering from a tibial nerve injury and the neurologist has me on a low dosage of Neurontin (400mg/day) and it does not affect me at all. I take 100 w/breakfast, 100/lunch and 200/bedtime. I notice that it relieves mild pain at this low dosage so I don't have the tingling and aching quite as much. He told me that he wanted me to take it because any pain slows my recovery as well as reduces serotonin levels which leads to depression. I have had no side effects with this low dose at all. My orthopedic surgeon also told me to continue with this dose as it does other things besides relieve pain. Just wanted to let you know that it has worked well for me at this very low dose...Cherie

lauriel on 2/06/03 at 11:00 (108206)

thanks for the information - that is really helpful to know
Laurie