Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Downside risks to eswt?

Posted by alexander C. on 2/04/03 at 14:21 (107956)

I have 3 sessions of low-energy eswt scheduled in a few weeks in Germany with some very prominent doctors who pioneered the field. At the same time, after 2.5 years of PF I feel I am already slowly improving as a result of disciplined treatments and rest. I had injections 2 years ago which didn't help, but I think I never really tried the conservative treatments in a disciplined enough manner. I feel I'm on the right path now. The question is: can eswt actually make things worse? Do any of you guys(or perhaps Scott)know of such cases? As far as I understand, eswt is microtrauma to the heel, and after all the pain I went through it just doesn't seem natural to subject the foot to this...
Many thnx.Alex

Re: Downside risks to eswt?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/03 at 14:43 (107964)

Alexander:
There can be a transient increase in tenderness but there are no long term risks or problems associated with low energy ESWT when performed properly.
Ed

Peter F on 2/04/03 at 14:54 (107969)

I posted exactly the same message 2 m ago and have had eswt x2 since then with definite improvement-I feel that after 2.5 yrs you will end up organising eswt in a few months because anyway because of further pain-Iwould honestly go for it now and get the benefit (during eswt you can really feel it hitting the spot very deep-its quite cathartic-almost like somebody finally scratching your back in a place you havent been able to reach for 2.5 yrs!)

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/03 at 14:43 (107964)

Alexander:
There can be a transient increase in tenderness but there are no long term risks or problems associated with low energy ESWT when performed properly.
Ed

Peter F on 2/04/03 at 14:54 (107969)

I posted exactly the same message 2 m ago and have had eswt x2 since then with definite improvement-I feel that after 2.5 yrs you will end up organising eswt in a few months because anyway because of further pain-Iwould honestly go for it now and get the benefit (during eswt you can really feel it hitting the spot very deep-its quite cathartic-almost like somebody finally scratching your back in a place you havent been able to reach for 2.5 yrs!)