Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

running shoes with orthotics

Posted by nancy s on 2/04/03 at 14:24 (107957)

I've recently started running again after a 6-month bout with PF. I am now wearing custom orthotics in New Balance 991s. After a 3-week adjustment period, I'm feeling pretty comfortable running in them. The orthotics are JSB Eliminator Line Eliminator II (if that means anything) sports orthotics, rigid plastic arch with a thin cushion over it.

It's now time to replace my running shoes. My question is, with orthotics, does it matter so much what running shoes they're in? In other words, do I still need to go for a running shoe for high-arched feet and substantial cushioning, or will any type of shoe do, since the orthotic is,
theoretically, taking care of my deficiencies?

Any comments welcome.

Thanks, Nancy

Re: running shoes with orthotics -- another nancy s

nancy sc on 2/04/03 at 14:29 (107959)

Sorry, just noticed that there is already a 'nancy s' here. I am a different person, and will in the future refer to myself as 'nancy sc'
to avoid confusion

Re: running shoes with orthotics

Carole C in NOLA on 2/04/03 at 14:39 (107961)

It really does seem to matter to me, what shoe my orthotics are in. They work with the shoe to some extent. I have stopped wearing my orthotics since I feel I am completely healed, but I noticed that they felt distinctly different and less satisfactory when I put them in the 991 (they were custom fitted to my feet wearing SAS shoes).

By the way, I love the 991 and that is my running shoe now too. I do not run but they are wonderful for going to the grocery store, Wal-Mart, and so on. My arches are somewhat high and I am substantially over my ideal weight, so the cushioning is especially wonderful for me. I also like the fact that although New Balance says they correct for mild to moderate over-pronators in general, the correction at the heel feels substantial as though perhaps there is a wedge under the medial side of the front of the heel. That seems to work very well for me and I haven't really found any other shoes like this.

Carole C

nancy sc on 2/04/03 at 16:05 (107981)

Hi Carole:

Thanks for your response. I have not posted before but I've been reading on this site for the past month or so and have gotten some great information.

I guess I should stick to the 991 since it has been working well for me. I also am an overpronator. I was sort of hoping to get away with a lower priced shoe, but after the months of PF pain, and the other costs involved in getting better -- the orthotics, night splint, expensive shoes (I've bought Mephistos, which are great), and on and on and on -- I guess I'd be really foolish to try to cut corners on running shoes.

Thanks again for responding and congratulations on being completely healed. I would call myself about 95% healed, and, interestingly, my feet feel better on the days when I walk/run than when I walk only.

Nancy Sc

nancy s. on 2/04/03 at 16:45 (107988)

thanks, nancy sc. (the second letter of my last name is 'c' also. and we've both had pf! maybe we're related.)

i agree with carole. if you've found a shoe that works well for you, i wouldn't risk lowering the quality now, just as you're getting so much better (in fact i wouldn't risk lowering the quality forevermore). the extra bucks are well worth it to keep you on the right track.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/04/03 at 18:02 (107999)

Nancy, I'm so glad to hear that you are 95% healed! That is just great. I think you are making a good choice in sticking with the 991. It's a terrific shoe, and your feet need good shoes right now while you are still recovering. If you look online you can save a few dollars on it.
Here are some examples:

$115 at http://www.roadrunnersports.com
$110 at http://www.aperfectdealer.com/
$110 at http://www.newbalancetampa.com/

Those are better prices than at my local stores anyway. I have never bought shoes from any of those URL's, but lots of people here have mentioned buying shoes at roadrunnersports.com and being pleased with them. You can get the 991's for $109 there if you buy enough shoes to be in their 'club'.

Carole C

Julie on 2/05/03 at 03:20 (108047)

I agree with what has been said already by nancy and Carole. An orthotic is only as good as the shoe it is worn in. Since your orthotics work for you in the shoes you have been wearing, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by going down-market - you could find out that they don't work as well in other, less good shoes, and you'll have wasted your money.

So stick to your 991s, and happy running.

Take care, though - I'm sure you know to start slowly and monitor the effects. Setbacks usually take a day or so to appear.

nancy sc on 2/05/03 at 10:20 (108079)

Hi Nancy S:

Well, we're probably not related, but speaking of that, I wonder whether PF is hereditary. My first cousin, who is exactly the same age as me, got PF last June, same as me. Due to different temperament, lifestyle, etc., she got impatient and had surgery a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your response.

Nancy Sc

nancy sc on 2/05/03 at 10:27 (108080)

Hi:

Thanks for your comments. I did try running a few months ago, thinking I was more healed than I was, and it was a false start. Had pain later in the day every time I tried. This time it definitely feels different. I am stretching more than I am running at this point.

I am using your stretches which I learned here and I love them. I do them before getting out of bed and several times during the day. They are relaxing and soothing at the same time. Also doing some other calf and hamstring stretches, plus some yoga.

Thanks again.

Nancy Sc.

Julie on 2/05/03 at 13:17 (108096)

Nancy

I'm very glad you like the yoga exercises, and find them relaxing and helpful. It really is a good idea to do them before getting out of bed, and before getting up from sitting.

Keep up the good work, and all the best for your healing.

Julie

Re: To Nancy Sc

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 14:13 (108237)

I can't add anything to what has already so aptly been said but another website which might have your shoes at reduced prices is efootwear.com.

Do glad to hear that you're able to run again. Good luck and don't overdo!

nancy sc on 2/04/03 at 14:29 (107959)

Sorry, just noticed that there is already a 'nancy s' here. I am a different person, and will in the future refer to myself as 'nancy sc'
to avoid confusion

Carole C in NOLA on 2/04/03 at 14:39 (107961)

It really does seem to matter to me, what shoe my orthotics are in. They work with the shoe to some extent. I have stopped wearing my orthotics since I feel I am completely healed, but I noticed that they felt distinctly different and less satisfactory when I put them in the 991 (they were custom fitted to my feet wearing SAS shoes).

By the way, I love the 991 and that is my running shoe now too. I do not run but they are wonderful for going to the grocery store, Wal-Mart, and so on. My arches are somewhat high and I am substantially over my ideal weight, so the cushioning is especially wonderful for me. I also like the fact that although New Balance says they correct for mild to moderate over-pronators in general, the correction at the heel feels substantial as though perhaps there is a wedge under the medial side of the front of the heel. That seems to work very well for me and I haven't really found any other shoes like this.

Carole C

nancy sc on 2/04/03 at 16:05 (107981)

Hi Carole:

Thanks for your response. I have not posted before but I've been reading on this site for the past month or so and have gotten some great information.

I guess I should stick to the 991 since it has been working well for me. I also am an overpronator. I was sort of hoping to get away with a lower priced shoe, but after the months of PF pain, and the other costs involved in getting better -- the orthotics, night splint, expensive shoes (I've bought Mephistos, which are great), and on and on and on -- I guess I'd be really foolish to try to cut corners on running shoes.

Thanks again for responding and congratulations on being completely healed. I would call myself about 95% healed, and, interestingly, my feet feel better on the days when I walk/run than when I walk only.

Nancy Sc

nancy s. on 2/04/03 at 16:45 (107988)

thanks, nancy sc. (the second letter of my last name is 'c' also. and we've both had pf! maybe we're related.)

i agree with carole. if you've found a shoe that works well for you, i wouldn't risk lowering the quality now, just as you're getting so much better (in fact i wouldn't risk lowering the quality forevermore). the extra bucks are well worth it to keep you on the right track.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/04/03 at 18:02 (107999)

Nancy, I'm so glad to hear that you are 95% healed! That is just great. I think you are making a good choice in sticking with the 991. It's a terrific shoe, and your feet need good shoes right now while you are still recovering. If you look online you can save a few dollars on it.
Here are some examples:

$115 at http://www.roadrunnersports.com
$110 at http://www.aperfectdealer.com/
$110 at http://www.newbalancetampa.com/

Those are better prices than at my local stores anyway. I have never bought shoes from any of those URL's, but lots of people here have mentioned buying shoes at roadrunnersports.com and being pleased with them. You can get the 991's for $109 there if you buy enough shoes to be in their 'club'.

Carole C

Julie on 2/05/03 at 03:20 (108047)

I agree with what has been said already by nancy and Carole. An orthotic is only as good as the shoe it is worn in. Since your orthotics work for you in the shoes you have been wearing, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by going down-market - you could find out that they don't work as well in other, less good shoes, and you'll have wasted your money.

So stick to your 991s, and happy running.

Take care, though - I'm sure you know to start slowly and monitor the effects. Setbacks usually take a day or so to appear.

nancy sc on 2/05/03 at 10:20 (108079)

Hi Nancy S:

Well, we're probably not related, but speaking of that, I wonder whether PF is hereditary. My first cousin, who is exactly the same age as me, got PF last June, same as me. Due to different temperament, lifestyle, etc., she got impatient and had surgery a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your response.

Nancy Sc

nancy sc on 2/05/03 at 10:27 (108080)

Hi:

Thanks for your comments. I did try running a few months ago, thinking I was more healed than I was, and it was a false start. Had pain later in the day every time I tried. This time it definitely feels different. I am stretching more than I am running at this point.

I am using your stretches which I learned here and I love them. I do them before getting out of bed and several times during the day. They are relaxing and soothing at the same time. Also doing some other calf and hamstring stretches, plus some yoga.

Thanks again.

Nancy Sc.

Julie on 2/05/03 at 13:17 (108096)

Nancy

I'm very glad you like the yoga exercises, and find them relaxing and helpful. It really is a good idea to do them before getting out of bed, and before getting up from sitting.

Keep up the good work, and all the best for your healing.

Julie

Re: To Nancy Sc

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 14:13 (108237)

I can't add anything to what has already so aptly been said but another website which might have your shoes at reduced prices is efootwear.com.

Do glad to hear that you're able to run again. Good luck and don't overdo!