Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What I did to overcome Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Alton P on 2/04/03 at 18:12 (108000)

I just want to thank the creators of this website. The information on this website was very helpful to me in overcoming plantar fasciitis. I want to share what i did to overcome heelspur.

1) For about three months i stretched my calf muscles every morning as instructed by http://www.heelspus.com .

2) At the same time, I made inserts for my shoe to keep pressure off the center of my heel. To make the inserts, i took neoprene rubber (like the one you find in some mousepads) and cut it into a fat horseshoe shape. The size and shape should be appropriate to fit in your shoe and support the area around the tender portion of the heel. If you can't find a neoprene rubber mouse pad, then go to http://www.mcmaster.com to buy neoprene rubber. I weigh about 145lbs and used a 3/16' thick insert (30 Shore A Durometer). One square foot of material cost about $6.00.

3) After three months I started doing Taebo for twenty-five minutes a day (www.taebo.com). (The basic video cost about $20) This daily excercise was key to permanent recovery, because it not only strengthened my feet, but everywhere else too. After 1.5 years of doing this, i can walk with barefeet with no pain. I admit i still use the neoprene inserts in my shoes because of the added comfort. I haven't yet developed a routine to ween myself off the insert. However, the important thing is that the pain is completely gone and i am in a lot better shape then i was three years ago when i first developed plantar fasciitis.

Please email me if you have any questions about what i did to recover.

All the best in your recovery.

Re: What I did to overcome Plantar Fasciitis

JudyS on 2/04/03 at 21:18 (108022)

Thank you, Alton, for your very informative post - and congratulations on taking charge of your recovery!

Re: What I did to overcome Plantar Fasciitis

JudyS on 2/04/03 at 21:18 (108022)

Thank you, Alton, for your very informative post - and congratulations on taking charge of your recovery!