Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heros come in the form of teenagers.........

Posted by marie e on 2/05/03 at 16:11 (108106)

As many of you know already I am a high school teacher. I wanted to share this sweet little story because so often we only hear the bad news about teens today.

A couple of months ago two of my freshmen girls approached my desk. They were full of questions about my feet. They asked me what I did after school and how often I got out. They asked me when the last time I went shopping at the mall. I told them I hadn't been shopping in a mall for over a year...before my tts. I explained how much effort it was to load up a wheel chair and aside from that I had to take someone to help me get in and out etc..... The girls went back to their seats and chatted a bit along with some giggling. They came back up to my desk with big grins on their faces and announced 'Mrs. E we are going to take you to the mall on a shopping trip. My grandma has a Bonneville that we can borrow that will fit the wheel chair. The only thing is we have to take back roads to Ft Wayne because I'm afraid to drive on the interstate.' Mind you we live about 45 minutes from ft wayne and these girls only have their learners permits. I was thinking to myself I hope tranquilizers are part of the deal because I don't think I could survive the trip emotionally. These girls melted my heart....they are my heros. They finally have the trip all organized except grandma is going to drive...that way I won't have to be drugged. Our trip is in two weeks...I'll keep you guys posted about how it goes.

marie

Re: Heros come in the form of our students......

Suzanne D on 2/05/03 at 17:10 (108108)

Oh, how sweet, Marie! That will be a trip that none of you will forget, I'm sure. Your students must think a lot of you to go to this extra effort. You are teaching them more than the subject matter. I hope you have a great trip!

Our students really can cheer us up, can't they? One of my little first grade boys sat down by me last week in the library and said, 'I love you'. I told him that I loved him, too, that I loved all the children in our class. Then he said, 'No, you don't understand. I mean I REALLY love you! I really do!' I guess he thought I didn't understand how special what he was saying really was.

That's what keeps us going, isn't it?

Suzanne :-)

Re: Heros come in the form of teenagers.........

Tammie on 2/06/03 at 10:21 (108198)

Oh my gosh I just love this story Thank you for sharing such a beautiful thing. There is hope for teens!!! I Have a 14 year old daughter who is a freshman, I could only dream that SHE would ever show that beautiful caring side of her! There is hope tho! I think it is so wonderful I do hope that you have a great day.To think that those girls thought and caried out with the plans and such to give you a day at the mall I can hardly believe it, Please share how things go I will be very anxious to hear how it goes!

I hope that you all have a wonderful time!

JudyS on 2/07/03 at 10:48 (108339)

Hmmmm....Marie - I'll be in Southern Michigan in two weeks.....perhaps my sis and I NEED to shop in Fort Wayne also (she knows the town very well)....
Maybe Shipshiwana after that.....

john h on 2/07/03 at 12:04 (108345)

'Southern' Michigan in Febuary still sounds cold Judy.

marie e on 2/08/03 at 18:40 (108507)

Sounds like a great time. I haven't been to shipshiwana in a while. I love the flea market in the summer. Actually I haven't been much of anywhere lately....but I am doing very well and am anxious to go shopping in the mall. You may want to go to Jefferson Pointe in Ft Wayne...it's an outside mall very retro.

marie

nancy s. on 2/08/03 at 18:50 (108511)

marie, i forgot to post how much your story here warmed my heart. those kids sound terrific. and you must be quite something, too, for them to want to do this for you. i hope you all have a great time when you go on your journey -- i'm sure you will! please tell us ALL about it afterward.

nancy

Re: Heros come in the form of our students......

Suzanne D on 2/05/03 at 17:10 (108108)

Oh, how sweet, Marie! That will be a trip that none of you will forget, I'm sure. Your students must think a lot of you to go to this extra effort. You are teaching them more than the subject matter. I hope you have a great trip!

Our students really can cheer us up, can't they? One of my little first grade boys sat down by me last week in the library and said, 'I love you'. I told him that I loved him, too, that I loved all the children in our class. Then he said, 'No, you don't understand. I mean I REALLY love you! I really do!' I guess he thought I didn't understand how special what he was saying really was.

That's what keeps us going, isn't it?

Suzanne :-)

Tammie on 2/06/03 at 10:21 (108198)

Oh my gosh I just love this story Thank you for sharing such a beautiful thing. There is hope for teens!!! I Have a 14 year old daughter who is a freshman, I could only dream that SHE would ever show that beautiful caring side of her! There is hope tho! I think it is so wonderful I do hope that you have a great day.To think that those girls thought and caried out with the plans and such to give you a day at the mall I can hardly believe it, Please share how things go I will be very anxious to hear how it goes!

I hope that you all have a wonderful time!

JudyS on 2/07/03 at 10:48 (108339)

Hmmmm....Marie - I'll be in Southern Michigan in two weeks.....perhaps my sis and I NEED to shop in Fort Wayne also (she knows the town very well)....
Maybe Shipshiwana after that.....

john h on 2/07/03 at 12:04 (108345)

'Southern' Michigan in Febuary still sounds cold Judy.

marie e on 2/08/03 at 18:40 (108507)

Sounds like a great time. I haven't been to shipshiwana in a while. I love the flea market in the summer. Actually I haven't been much of anywhere lately....but I am doing very well and am anxious to go shopping in the mall. You may want to go to Jefferson Pointe in Ft Wayne...it's an outside mall very retro.

marie

nancy s. on 2/08/03 at 18:50 (108511)

marie, i forgot to post how much your story here warmed my heart. those kids sound terrific. and you must be quite something, too, for them to want to do this for you. i hope you all have a great time when you go on your journey -- i'm sure you will! please tell us ALL about it afterward.

nancy