Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bronchial Me

Posted by Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 17:55 (108115)

Ok, it's pity party time for me again, sort of. I just found out today that I have bronchitis, which to be honest I've suspected for a week, but everything I read online basically said that it was something that should go away on its own, so I didn't sweat it. But I went to see my doc today about my shoulder and told the nurse when I went in that I thought I had bronchitis, and sure enough I do. I'm on antibiotics now and am hoping that it'll end soon because I've had this infernal thing for two weeks and it's just really really OLD.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to make the misery less, well, miserable, please let me know!! Thanks! :)

Re: Bronchial Me

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 18:25 (108119)

Nancy, I'm sorry to hear you have bronchitis! It sure is miserable. Be sure not to miss any of your antibiotics. They are important to keep you from getting another bug just as this one leaves. Aside from that all I can suggest is to snuggle under a blanket and stay warm. I hope you feel better soon!

Carole C

Re: P.S. Don't forget chicken soup!!! (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 18:25 (108120)

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 18:33 (108121)

I got some chicken soup at the store tonight while I waited for my antibiotics to appear at the pharmacy. He gave me a Z-pak, so I only have to take them for 5 days, which is certainly helpful! I already took the first dose, which was the first thing I did when I walked in the door this evening. It's funny, earlier today I didn't think I'd end up with an antibiotic because everything I'd read made it sound like it wouldn't do anything for me (and I don't like to take them if I'm not sure I need them), but now I keep thinking 'Work! Fast! I don't want to be sick anymore!' What a change after hearing those magic words, 'You need an antibiotic.'

This is only the third time I've seen this doctor--I had to switch when we changed insurance in January--but I really like him. He's the school's on-call doc, which means that I had met him twice before I became an official patient (he comes over to give flu shots in the fall). His specialty is sports med, so he really checked me out when I went in for my shoulder, and I got the full work-up this time, too. He even suggested zinc lozenges (though I suspect it's too late for me with those, since it's been two weeks) and echinacea, which no MD has ever suggested to me. So I'm thinking I made a good choice, even if it was a little on the random side.

Here's keeping the fingers crossed for the Z-pak...

pala on 2/05/03 at 18:40 (108122)

my mother , who was jewish, swore by chicken soup. but it always came along with a guilt trip so i'm not sure if it works wthout the guilt. if you like i can say some thngs here to make you feel guilty. i was trained by an expert and after all who am i to fly in the face of a six thousand year old tradition. :)

marie e on 2/05/03 at 18:40 (108123)

Nancy,
z-pak has worked well on my kids and myself. Have some soup, get some rest, and write your story. Get well soon!

marie

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 18:45 (108124)

Jeez, Pala, this is twice in as many days you're making me laugh! (and I have to confess that laughter right now tends to spawn a coughing-fit, which is especially annoying because I laugh a lot!) Sure, guilt away if you think it'll help :)

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 18:48 (108125)

Rest is definitely in the prescription. I slept for 8 hours last night but could easily have slept for another hour or two, so I am going to go to bed early tonight (I'm yawning already, and it's 7:45!). So hopefully that will help. Tomorrow night I want to go to my self-hypnosis class, which I should think would be therapeutic, too--though I may fall asleep in mid-hypnosis. I'm still going to school, which perhaps I shouldn't, but I've been there so far and will only be better now that I have the meds, so why stop now? (And really, it's more work to stay home than it is to go in, so I might as well go.)

I have had z-paks before, though it's been a while--but I've never had a problem with them. So here's hoping for this time!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 19:45 (108131)

Just think how good all this rest might be for your feet! Just think, you can improve your bronchitis and your feet all at once. :)

Don't forget to stretch though. lol

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/05/03 at 20:01 (108133)

lol paula, you've done it to me again, and i REALLY needed it tonight, so Thank You, Extra.

please make only nancy n guilty, not me nor presumably anyone else. i'm not sick and i'm not eating chicken soup tonight.

hope you feel better soon, nancy, guilt and all. ingest a large chunk of it, i'm sure it works if a trekkie says it will.

nancy

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 20:10 (108134)

Actually, my feet have been fine for a while now, so there's no added benefit to the bronchitis in that regard. Pity, I'd like to think there's an added benefit somewhere!! :)

At any rate, I'm off to get ready for an early bedtime. At least when I'm asleep, I don't notice the more annoying parts of this lovely affliction...or I only notice them once or twice.

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 20:14 (108135)

Yeah, I'm the only guilty party here! Bring on 'da guilt...

You know, I have noticed that I am at least feeling better emotionally than I was last night when I was a paragon of apathy, so I guess that's an improvement--my doc told me this afternoon that I look better than I feel, which is true--to look at me, I don't think you'd know anything was wrong unless I'd just been coughing, which makes my face and eyes a bit red. But I'm not sure I'd have gotten up and left the house if the smoke detector had gone off last night, for instance, because I was just too tired to care...

Anyway, bed time for Bronchitis Girl. See you all in the morning.

pala on 2/05/03 at 20:26 (108139)

sure go to bed. don't worry about me. i'll just hang here all alone. bronchitis shmonchitis. i might as well go stick my head in the oven for all you care. and to think of all the times i made you laugh. this is the thanks i get. no matter. i don't deserve any consideration. it's not like my nasal passages are so perfect. they couldn't succumb to bronchitis any minute but i'll just go walk in the snow barefoot for all anyone cares and you can just tuck youself into your comfy bed. sweet dreams.... how was that? need more guilt? i just have to channel mom and bwalla. anyone else need to feel guilty tonite? i'm on a roll.

nancy s. on 2/05/03 at 20:31 (108140)

whoa, i lied! i did have a soup with some chicken in it: progresso's chickarina. just saw the empty can in the kitchen; guess it didn't taste like chicken in there, heh heh.

no guilt was applied with it, though, so i don't think it'll cure whatever comes up in the future.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 20:38 (108142)

You never know. Chicken soup is pretty strong medicine. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/05/03 at 21:32 (108149)

ok, you had me going.

i thought you'd snapped!

it IS hilarious, paula, what you wrote. i'm sorry that stuff is so readily available to your mind, though; clearly you've done your time as the recipient of the guilt trip. on the other hand, it could make you really popular at parties, so see what you can do to get yourself invited. and me too.

nancy

Suzanne D on 2/05/03 at 22:15 (108159)

Hi, Nancy! I'm sorry you're sick. I've had lots of experience with bronchitis at my house as my husband has chronic bronchitis which flares up several times a year, and my older daughter has asthma and has had more bouts of bronchitis than I can count, starting when she was nine months old.

As others have suggested, be sure and take your antibiotics as ordered, and it wouldn't hurt to take some extra vitamin C for the next couple of weeks. Chicken soup really is supposed to have healing properties for respiratory illness. My husband sometimes lies on the couch and hangs his head over, breathing steam and then coughing to get it loosened up. My daughter's pediatrician always said to take Robitussin DM -(He was very specific about taking the DM kind.), and she and my husband take it when they are really congested. The antibiotic will treat the infection, and the Robitussin will break up the congestion. Also, drink a lot of liquids. The doctor and pharmacists have always recommended this as well.

Sorry to offer so much advice; I got started and couldn't stop!

Hope you feel much better soon!

Suzanne :-)

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 06:02 (108168)

Suzanne, I think you have more than done your time with this ugly beast! I'm so sorry to hear about your family's trials with it!

I have been taking a lot of vitamin C and drinking an awful lot, especially tea with honey, for the last two weeks. (I rarely ever drink tea or coffee at work, so everyone knows when I am not feeling quite right because suddenly that's all I drink!) I tried the steam routine (pot of water with towel over head) last week and it felt good but I'm not sure that it did much else. Nothing says I can't do it again, though. Got the DM, too.

I can tell I'm going to be getting tired of chicken soup--is there any stipulation on what kind it has to be? Can it be as simple as a boullion cube? I don't have a lot of the canned stuff but I do have cubes...

Thanks for your advice, Suzanne :)

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 06:04 (108169)

Boy, Pala, you are a Guilt Grand Master! Wow! You're terrifyingly good at this!! But like Nancy, I wish you weren't so familiar with the intricacies of the art of guilt--it's sad that anyone has to listen to this stuff all their lives, or even just for long periods of time.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/06/03 at 06:45 (108171)

Boullion doesn't count, Nancy! I don't think it would actually have any actual chicken in it other than flavor.

But I don't see why it has to be the same recipe of chicken soup. It should include chicken. You could try chicken and rice, chicken and vegetables, chicken noodle, cream of chicken, and so on. Hmm! maybe chicken would be good in a cheese soup.

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 07:44 (108177)

I think you're right on the chicken rice, etc, but I would draw the line at the cream/cheese soups. The dairy stuff in them can increase congestion, which is the last thing I want to do right now. It seems like it's been ages since I've had a glass of milk--actually not really true, since I gave in and had one the other night, but regretted it almost immediately :(

I want to get better, dernit!!! (Patience... patience is a virtue, I know, but why can't those antibiotics fix me NOW! I've been miserable for two weeks... whimper.)

pala on 2/06/03 at 08:39 (108182)

yeah i have that jewish mother lurking in my hippy buddhist mind., just waiting to jump out and start whining. that was just my mother warming up. it could go on all day. i'm in georgia now and most people i know didn't have jewish mothers.

but there are worse dysfunctions, like things never being said. not in in my familty of course. it all got said, volubly, repeatedly, dramatically., hysterically. repression was definitely not a problem.

i used to fantasize that a mistake was made and i was switched at birth with a quiet, reserved, polite english couple. but my parents were very warm, emotionally, constant hugging and expressions of love and warmth, child centered in that whatever i wanted they tried to give me, beyond their incomes sometimes. of course the emotional warmth also came with emotional volatility. it could have been worse., i was never hit or spanked. not once.

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 09:49 (108191)

i think that's true -- things never being said is a worse dysfunction. things were never said in our house when i was growing up -- no emotion was encouraged, but anything considered negative was absolutely not allowed, squashed flat on the spot. my parents spent 36 years never being able to talk anything out, and we four kids lived with a continuous air of silent tension and hostility all around us. it was pretty warping, with some of us faring worse than others (i was in the middle warpo range).

they divorced after 36 years, and i always wished they'd done it sooner. they're both happier now. of course, two of their four children have spent years in therapy trying to figure out how to emote, and with ease! the third one spent years in therapy trying to learn not to apologize for every emotion under the sun! the fourth escaped any of this, i know not how, but we all leaned on him a great deal while growing up.

nancy

Necee on 2/06/03 at 13:23 (108225)

I hope you're feeling better real soon Nancy. Everyone has given you the same advice I would, so I'll just wish you well!!!
Happy trails...

Necee

Re: For Nancy N

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 13:42 (108228)

Nancy,

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 13:44 (108229)

yes, kathy? i don't have the right last-name initial, but does that matter? :}

nancy

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 13:51 (108232)

OKay, I'll try again. And I can't even blame that on my computer, just my hitting the wrong key!

I have had bronchitis more times than I care to count. I get it at least twice a year, sometimes more. My two children were fortunate to have inherited the trait from me, although I don't think they get it quite as often, more like once a year for them. Since my daughter and I are allergic to most antibiotics, and Zithromax is one we can take, we can tell you that it usually works but it sometimes takes a second course. If you're not a lot better about five days after taking the last pill, you may want to check in with your doctor.

Suzanne is right - Robitussin DM is the way to go during the day, but if you're bothered with a night cough, Delsym is invaluable. It's expensive but it lasts for twelve hours. It also is a combination expectorant and supressant which is what you want to take. I always have it in the house and my daughter brings it to college with her each year. It is great stuff and no, I don't own stock in the company!

Hang in there. Bronchitis can last up to four weeks. That's not to discourage you but so that you don't think you have some dreaded disease if it doesn't go away quickly.

Oh, and drink a lot of water - or any other clear liquid. (Not milk products) This helps to keep the secretions thinner and can be key in getting better faster.

Take care. My daughter just had it, as did my sister. It's that lovely time of year! I hope our experience will help you!

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 13:52 (108233)

Well, I was trying to send a message to the other Nancy, but hello to you! Hope you're enjoying the sunshine today!!

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 17:15 (108255)

Kathy--

Thanks for the tips. My doc mentioned Delsym but I couldn't find it at CVS last night, and he said the DM was OK if I already had it, so I decided not to worry about it. Just how expensive is this stuff, and where do I find it?

I've already had this infernal affliction for 2 weeks, so I am really hoping to say goodbye to it soon. Any guess how long I'm contagious once I've started the antibiotics? I'm supposed to visit a friend next weekend and really don't want to infect anyone else.

Thanks again!

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 17:30 (108259)

Hi Nancy,

I usually get it at CVS and it's about $9.00 or so for a 3-ounce bottle. Any other pharmacy, like Brooks, Rite Aid, etc. should have it. It really does help if you keep coughing while you're trying to sleep.

As to how long you're contagious, they always tell me that 24 hours after taking the first antibiotic, you're not a 'germ' anymore so you should visit your friend and have a good time!

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 17:51 (108264)

i know, kathy, i couldn't help teasing -- probably because i'm in a pretty good mood today because, like you say, the sun was out again! have we had about 4% sunshine so far this winter or what? it was windy today, though -- about 17 degrees high and much lower wind chill temp -- still not even winter beaching-walking weather. are you getting snow tomorrow? (or in the night, starting about 3 a.m., for us.) argh. this is what we call a good old-fashioned new england winter, although at this point i think i'd remove the 'good.'

next week is predicted to be the coldest yet so far! can you believe it? we'll be on our way to michigan when that happens, which i'm not sure will be an improvement. also, we drive through upstate new york, through niagara falls, and over the lower part of ontario, canada. if anyone has any weather news for next week in these areas, i'd appreciate hearing it.

i hope you got out into the sun and enjoyed it today too, kathy.

nancy

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 18:24 (108268)

So do they keep this stuff behind the counter, or is it with the Robitussin and other such fun OTC meds?

And boy, is it good to know I just became un-germed a few hours ago :)

Re: Found it!

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 20:36 (108285)

I just ended up near our Wal-Mart for a totally unrelated reason, and went in to see if they had this stuff--I got my DM there the other day and thought I remembered seeing a cough syrup I didn't recognize. Sure enough, there it was! I got the smaller bottle, which was about $6.60, and it rang up at $7.30 at the register--so I got it at the right price and then they took $3 off for finding the price discrepancy! Works for me!

So I'll give the syrup a try tonight and see if it works for me, too! Thanks for the seconding of my doc's recommendation--not that his wasn't enough for me on its own, but your enthusiastic endorsement made me go to the extra effort.

Suzanne D on 2/07/03 at 07:16 (108307)

Nancy, I hope you're beginning to feel much improved now. It sounds like you were doing many good things for yourself; sometimes it just takes the addition of an antibiotic.

Unfortunately, as Kathy mentioned, bronchitis (at least in this household!) can hang on for awhile. I'll be a 'mother hen' and tell you like I do my daughter: even when you start feeling better, keep vigilant with the vitamin C, drinking lots of fluids, and so forth. Sometimes she gets so tired of doing all that and tends to let it slide when the improvement begins, and then it takes longer for her to get back to normal. Just a thought...Not trying to be bossy!

I have only had bronchitis twice in my life, but those two times were enough to give me a real empathy for anyone who gets it!

Is there much sickness in your school? I had 6 children out Monday, four Tuesday and Wednesday, and three yesterday. Today we have another snow day, so perhaps the three days off will help the children to get better.

Feel better soon!

Nancy N on 2/07/03 at 07:24 (108309)

Suzanne--

I certainly don't think you're being bossy! I have never had bronchitis before, so all your information is very helpful and enlightening! I am so sick of this, I just want to get it over with. I'm sort of improving, that I can tell, but I think it'll take another day or two before I see a significant difference. I was still up coughing a lot in the night last night, and finally got so tired of trying to sleep (it's sad when breathing is an irritant that keeps you awake!) and got up to check out the snow. So I figure I'll take a nap later on--maybe more than one. Normally I do drink a lot anyway, but I will try to stay vigilant since I am at home for the next three days--that's usually when I forget about water because I haven't built as much of a habit for it at home. At work, it's always sitting on my desk so it's easy to get enough.

We do have a lot of kids who are out at school lately. Of course, since I was sitting there with full-blown bronchitis myself for a little over a week, I suppose it's not surprising that this stuff is spreading, though even before I was diagnosed I tried to keep a distance from people--even if it had just been an ordinary cough, it was't something I thought other people would like to try!

We are scheduled to have parent conferences today, but since I only taught 6 kids last quarter (I have very small classes, even smaller than typical class size for our school, and last quarter I only taught two classes), and have been sick for so long, I begged my boss to let me hang up a sign telling people they could email or call me if they had a specific concern about their kids. We have the snow, too, but the school decided that we would be there regardless, so I am sure I probably wouldn't have had anyone coming to see me anyway--I usually get one, maybe two. If that. So I have the luxury today of taking some extra time to sleep/rest and recuperate, which is a good thing, because I really think I need it!

Thanks again for all your suggestions--they really are very helpful.

Suzanne D on 2/07/03 at 07:52 (108316)

I'm glad you have the time off from school, Nancy. That will help you to stay in and get more rest. My daughter would really relate to how tired you are of being sick with this. I have heard her say that so many times.

Another point that I have learned through the years is that sometimes bronchitis begins as a bacterial infection, and sometimes it is secondary to a viral infection, if I understand it correctly. It seems to me that when it is a secondary infection to something that started out as viral, you can take longer to get better. I guess that's because the virus isn't touched by the antibiotic, and it has to run its course. Your body is weakened by fighting the virus, so you contract the bacterial infection. Hope I'm not sounding confusing!

I can remember many, many nights when my daughter was little when she would cough almost non-stop. When she was very young, I sometimes held her in a rocking chair so that she could sleep. (She didn't cough as much when she wasn't lying flat.) We would both fall asleep in the rocking chair.

In the bed, if you can elevate the upper part of your body somewhat on extra pillows or cushions - say some you take off your couch - you might find some relief from the coughing.

I hope you can take a nice nap this afternoon!

Nancy N on 2/07/03 at 08:01 (108318)

I'm just plain tired, in addition to being tired of being sick! This bug has really taken it out of me.

I just found out that the parent conferences at school have been cancelled (duh, what were they thinking!) so I am not missing anything anyway. Pity, now I'll end up sitting there some day for four hours doing nothing (except hoping I brought a good book along!).

Anyway, as far as the sleeping--you know the strange thing about this? A lot of the time, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I have trouble going back to sleep. You'd think it would be worse if you wake up and have this intense physical activity going on--but I fall right back to sleep, usually. I guess it's because I'm just so exhausted, but even on school nights, I wasn't worried that I wouldn't get back to sleep. I'd just crawl back into bed and nod off till next time. Still not the best way to get rest, but it beats the alternative! The only time I had trouble getting back to sleep was over a week ago, when I started to cough so suddenly that I woke up from the middle of a dream. It was almost violent, like being pulled through different states of consciousness. And I got a headache immediately--which is what kept me awake for the rest of the night. I took some tylenol (I'm on celebrex for my shoulder so I can't take advil) and that didn't do much to relieve the headache. But that's the only time I had any trouble getting back to sleep.

The pillows are still worth investigating--the question is whether or not they'll feel so strange that I'll stay awake for that reason! Honestly... why is sleep sometimes so complicated?? :)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/03 at 08:11 (108320)

Speaking of headaches, I awakened this morning to an unbelievably severe headache. I took two extra-strength Bayer, and then drove to work and drank a large coffee with skim milk. I feel better for now.

I sure hope that a severe headache is not the first symptom of one of the bugs that's going around. (?)

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/07/03 at 08:23 (108321)

Carole--

I didn't mean to scare you into thinking that the bronchitis came after the headache. I actually got my headache because the bronchitis woke me up so suddenly in the middle of the night one night last week. It was the violent awakening that did it. I didn't have any sort of headache until then, and that was about a week into the bronchitis. So I wouldn't necessarily panic over it.

Though, in my experience, waking with a headache is never a good sign (unless you have it because you woke up too early, like I did), so you might want to take it easy for a day or two and make sure you get enough rest just in case.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/03 at 08:33 (108323)

I am definitely relieved to hear that, Nancy.

Actually, today I got to sleep in an extra hour. The headache awakened me five minutes before the alarm did, fifty-five minutes later than usual, so I didn't really wake up too early at all.

I'm hoping that maybe it's due to the front that came through. I'll try to catch up on my sleep this weekend, too!

I am dreading the moment when this extra strength aspirin wears off, but maybe for nothing. My headache might be gone by then; who knows.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/07/03 at 08:46 (108325)

Great, Nancy. Let us know if it worked. And even if it doesn't, what a great price!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 18:25 (108119)

Nancy, I'm sorry to hear you have bronchitis! It sure is miserable. Be sure not to miss any of your antibiotics. They are important to keep you from getting another bug just as this one leaves. Aside from that all I can suggest is to snuggle under a blanket and stay warm. I hope you feel better soon!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 18:25 (108120)

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 18:33 (108121)

I got some chicken soup at the store tonight while I waited for my antibiotics to appear at the pharmacy. He gave me a Z-pak, so I only have to take them for 5 days, which is certainly helpful! I already took the first dose, which was the first thing I did when I walked in the door this evening. It's funny, earlier today I didn't think I'd end up with an antibiotic because everything I'd read made it sound like it wouldn't do anything for me (and I don't like to take them if I'm not sure I need them), but now I keep thinking 'Work! Fast! I don't want to be sick anymore!' What a change after hearing those magic words, 'You need an antibiotic.'

This is only the third time I've seen this doctor--I had to switch when we changed insurance in January--but I really like him. He's the school's on-call doc, which means that I had met him twice before I became an official patient (he comes over to give flu shots in the fall). His specialty is sports med, so he really checked me out when I went in for my shoulder, and I got the full work-up this time, too. He even suggested zinc lozenges (though I suspect it's too late for me with those, since it's been two weeks) and echinacea, which no MD has ever suggested to me. So I'm thinking I made a good choice, even if it was a little on the random side.

Here's keeping the fingers crossed for the Z-pak...

pala on 2/05/03 at 18:40 (108122)

my mother , who was jewish, swore by chicken soup. but it always came along with a guilt trip so i'm not sure if it works wthout the guilt. if you like i can say some thngs here to make you feel guilty. i was trained by an expert and after all who am i to fly in the face of a six thousand year old tradition. :)

marie e on 2/05/03 at 18:40 (108123)

Nancy,
z-pak has worked well on my kids and myself. Have some soup, get some rest, and write your story. Get well soon!

marie

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 18:45 (108124)

Jeez, Pala, this is twice in as many days you're making me laugh! (and I have to confess that laughter right now tends to spawn a coughing-fit, which is especially annoying because I laugh a lot!) Sure, guilt away if you think it'll help :)

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 18:48 (108125)

Rest is definitely in the prescription. I slept for 8 hours last night but could easily have slept for another hour or two, so I am going to go to bed early tonight (I'm yawning already, and it's 7:45!). So hopefully that will help. Tomorrow night I want to go to my self-hypnosis class, which I should think would be therapeutic, too--though I may fall asleep in mid-hypnosis. I'm still going to school, which perhaps I shouldn't, but I've been there so far and will only be better now that I have the meds, so why stop now? (And really, it's more work to stay home than it is to go in, so I might as well go.)

I have had z-paks before, though it's been a while--but I've never had a problem with them. So here's hoping for this time!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 19:45 (108131)

Just think how good all this rest might be for your feet! Just think, you can improve your bronchitis and your feet all at once. :)

Don't forget to stretch though. lol

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/05/03 at 20:01 (108133)

lol paula, you've done it to me again, and i REALLY needed it tonight, so Thank You, Extra.

please make only nancy n guilty, not me nor presumably anyone else. i'm not sick and i'm not eating chicken soup tonight.

hope you feel better soon, nancy, guilt and all. ingest a large chunk of it, i'm sure it works if a trekkie says it will.

nancy

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 20:10 (108134)

Actually, my feet have been fine for a while now, so there's no added benefit to the bronchitis in that regard. Pity, I'd like to think there's an added benefit somewhere!! :)

At any rate, I'm off to get ready for an early bedtime. At least when I'm asleep, I don't notice the more annoying parts of this lovely affliction...or I only notice them once or twice.

Nancy N on 2/05/03 at 20:14 (108135)

Yeah, I'm the only guilty party here! Bring on 'da guilt...

You know, I have noticed that I am at least feeling better emotionally than I was last night when I was a paragon of apathy, so I guess that's an improvement--my doc told me this afternoon that I look better than I feel, which is true--to look at me, I don't think you'd know anything was wrong unless I'd just been coughing, which makes my face and eyes a bit red. But I'm not sure I'd have gotten up and left the house if the smoke detector had gone off last night, for instance, because I was just too tired to care...

Anyway, bed time for Bronchitis Girl. See you all in the morning.

pala on 2/05/03 at 20:26 (108139)

sure go to bed. don't worry about me. i'll just hang here all alone. bronchitis shmonchitis. i might as well go stick my head in the oven for all you care. and to think of all the times i made you laugh. this is the thanks i get. no matter. i don't deserve any consideration. it's not like my nasal passages are so perfect. they couldn't succumb to bronchitis any minute but i'll just go walk in the snow barefoot for all anyone cares and you can just tuck youself into your comfy bed. sweet dreams.... how was that? need more guilt? i just have to channel mom and bwalla. anyone else need to feel guilty tonite? i'm on a roll.

nancy s. on 2/05/03 at 20:31 (108140)

whoa, i lied! i did have a soup with some chicken in it: progresso's chickarina. just saw the empty can in the kitchen; guess it didn't taste like chicken in there, heh heh.

no guilt was applied with it, though, so i don't think it'll cure whatever comes up in the future.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 20:38 (108142)

You never know. Chicken soup is pretty strong medicine. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/05/03 at 21:32 (108149)

ok, you had me going.

i thought you'd snapped!

it IS hilarious, paula, what you wrote. i'm sorry that stuff is so readily available to your mind, though; clearly you've done your time as the recipient of the guilt trip. on the other hand, it could make you really popular at parties, so see what you can do to get yourself invited. and me too.

nancy

Suzanne D on 2/05/03 at 22:15 (108159)

Hi, Nancy! I'm sorry you're sick. I've had lots of experience with bronchitis at my house as my husband has chronic bronchitis which flares up several times a year, and my older daughter has asthma and has had more bouts of bronchitis than I can count, starting when she was nine months old.

As others have suggested, be sure and take your antibiotics as ordered, and it wouldn't hurt to take some extra vitamin C for the next couple of weeks. Chicken soup really is supposed to have healing properties for respiratory illness. My husband sometimes lies on the couch and hangs his head over, breathing steam and then coughing to get it loosened up. My daughter's pediatrician always said to take Robitussin DM -(He was very specific about taking the DM kind.), and she and my husband take it when they are really congested. The antibiotic will treat the infection, and the Robitussin will break up the congestion. Also, drink a lot of liquids. The doctor and pharmacists have always recommended this as well.

Sorry to offer so much advice; I got started and couldn't stop!

Hope you feel much better soon!

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 06:02 (108168)

Suzanne, I think you have more than done your time with this ugly beast! I'm so sorry to hear about your family's trials with it!

I have been taking a lot of vitamin C and drinking an awful lot, especially tea with honey, for the last two weeks. (I rarely ever drink tea or coffee at work, so everyone knows when I am not feeling quite right because suddenly that's all I drink!) I tried the steam routine (pot of water with towel over head) last week and it felt good but I'm not sure that it did much else. Nothing says I can't do it again, though. Got the DM, too.

I can tell I'm going to be getting tired of chicken soup--is there any stipulation on what kind it has to be? Can it be as simple as a boullion cube? I don't have a lot of the canned stuff but I do have cubes...

Thanks for your advice, Suzanne :)

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 06:04 (108169)

Boy, Pala, you are a Guilt Grand Master! Wow! You're terrifyingly good at this!! But like Nancy, I wish you weren't so familiar with the intricacies of the art of guilt--it's sad that anyone has to listen to this stuff all their lives, or even just for long periods of time.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/06/03 at 06:45 (108171)

Boullion doesn't count, Nancy! I don't think it would actually have any actual chicken in it other than flavor.

But I don't see why it has to be the same recipe of chicken soup. It should include chicken. You could try chicken and rice, chicken and vegetables, chicken noodle, cream of chicken, and so on. Hmm! maybe chicken would be good in a cheese soup.

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 07:44 (108177)

I think you're right on the chicken rice, etc, but I would draw the line at the cream/cheese soups. The dairy stuff in them can increase congestion, which is the last thing I want to do right now. It seems like it's been ages since I've had a glass of milk--actually not really true, since I gave in and had one the other night, but regretted it almost immediately :(

I want to get better, dernit!!! (Patience... patience is a virtue, I know, but why can't those antibiotics fix me NOW! I've been miserable for two weeks... whimper.)

pala on 2/06/03 at 08:39 (108182)

yeah i have that jewish mother lurking in my hippy buddhist mind., just waiting to jump out and start whining. that was just my mother warming up. it could go on all day. i'm in georgia now and most people i know didn't have jewish mothers.

but there are worse dysfunctions, like things never being said. not in in my familty of course. it all got said, volubly, repeatedly, dramatically., hysterically. repression was definitely not a problem.

i used to fantasize that a mistake was made and i was switched at birth with a quiet, reserved, polite english couple. but my parents were very warm, emotionally, constant hugging and expressions of love and warmth, child centered in that whatever i wanted they tried to give me, beyond their incomes sometimes. of course the emotional warmth also came with emotional volatility. it could have been worse., i was never hit or spanked. not once.

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 09:49 (108191)

i think that's true -- things never being said is a worse dysfunction. things were never said in our house when i was growing up -- no emotion was encouraged, but anything considered negative was absolutely not allowed, squashed flat on the spot. my parents spent 36 years never being able to talk anything out, and we four kids lived with a continuous air of silent tension and hostility all around us. it was pretty warping, with some of us faring worse than others (i was in the middle warpo range).

they divorced after 36 years, and i always wished they'd done it sooner. they're both happier now. of course, two of their four children have spent years in therapy trying to figure out how to emote, and with ease! the third one spent years in therapy trying to learn not to apologize for every emotion under the sun! the fourth escaped any of this, i know not how, but we all leaned on him a great deal while growing up.

nancy

Necee on 2/06/03 at 13:23 (108225)

I hope you're feeling better real soon Nancy. Everyone has given you the same advice I would, so I'll just wish you well!!!
Happy trails...

Necee

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 13:42 (108228)

Nancy,

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 13:44 (108229)

yes, kathy? i don't have the right last-name initial, but does that matter? :}

nancy

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 13:51 (108232)

OKay, I'll try again. And I can't even blame that on my computer, just my hitting the wrong key!

I have had bronchitis more times than I care to count. I get it at least twice a year, sometimes more. My two children were fortunate to have inherited the trait from me, although I don't think they get it quite as often, more like once a year for them. Since my daughter and I are allergic to most antibiotics, and Zithromax is one we can take, we can tell you that it usually works but it sometimes takes a second course. If you're not a lot better about five days after taking the last pill, you may want to check in with your doctor.

Suzanne is right - Robitussin DM is the way to go during the day, but if you're bothered with a night cough, Delsym is invaluable. It's expensive but it lasts for twelve hours. It also is a combination expectorant and supressant which is what you want to take. I always have it in the house and my daughter brings it to college with her each year. It is great stuff and no, I don't own stock in the company!

Hang in there. Bronchitis can last up to four weeks. That's not to discourage you but so that you don't think you have some dreaded disease if it doesn't go away quickly.

Oh, and drink a lot of water - or any other clear liquid. (Not milk products) This helps to keep the secretions thinner and can be key in getting better faster.

Take care. My daughter just had it, as did my sister. It's that lovely time of year! I hope our experience will help you!

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 13:52 (108233)

Well, I was trying to send a message to the other Nancy, but hello to you! Hope you're enjoying the sunshine today!!

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 17:15 (108255)

Kathy--

Thanks for the tips. My doc mentioned Delsym but I couldn't find it at CVS last night, and he said the DM was OK if I already had it, so I decided not to worry about it. Just how expensive is this stuff, and where do I find it?

I've already had this infernal affliction for 2 weeks, so I am really hoping to say goodbye to it soon. Any guess how long I'm contagious once I've started the antibiotics? I'm supposed to visit a friend next weekend and really don't want to infect anyone else.

Thanks again!

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 17:30 (108259)

Hi Nancy,

I usually get it at CVS and it's about $9.00 or so for a 3-ounce bottle. Any other pharmacy, like Brooks, Rite Aid, etc. should have it. It really does help if you keep coughing while you're trying to sleep.

As to how long you're contagious, they always tell me that 24 hours after taking the first antibiotic, you're not a 'germ' anymore so you should visit your friend and have a good time!

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 17:51 (108264)

i know, kathy, i couldn't help teasing -- probably because i'm in a pretty good mood today because, like you say, the sun was out again! have we had about 4% sunshine so far this winter or what? it was windy today, though -- about 17 degrees high and much lower wind chill temp -- still not even winter beaching-walking weather. are you getting snow tomorrow? (or in the night, starting about 3 a.m., for us.) argh. this is what we call a good old-fashioned new england winter, although at this point i think i'd remove the 'good.'

next week is predicted to be the coldest yet so far! can you believe it? we'll be on our way to michigan when that happens, which i'm not sure will be an improvement. also, we drive through upstate new york, through niagara falls, and over the lower part of ontario, canada. if anyone has any weather news for next week in these areas, i'd appreciate hearing it.

i hope you got out into the sun and enjoyed it today too, kathy.

nancy

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 18:24 (108268)

So do they keep this stuff behind the counter, or is it with the Robitussin and other such fun OTC meds?

And boy, is it good to know I just became un-germed a few hours ago :)

Nancy N on 2/06/03 at 20:36 (108285)

I just ended up near our Wal-Mart for a totally unrelated reason, and went in to see if they had this stuff--I got my DM there the other day and thought I remembered seeing a cough syrup I didn't recognize. Sure enough, there it was! I got the smaller bottle, which was about $6.60, and it rang up at $7.30 at the register--so I got it at the right price and then they took $3 off for finding the price discrepancy! Works for me!

So I'll give the syrup a try tonight and see if it works for me, too! Thanks for the seconding of my doc's recommendation--not that his wasn't enough for me on its own, but your enthusiastic endorsement made me go to the extra effort.

Suzanne D on 2/07/03 at 07:16 (108307)

Nancy, I hope you're beginning to feel much improved now. It sounds like you were doing many good things for yourself; sometimes it just takes the addition of an antibiotic.

Unfortunately, as Kathy mentioned, bronchitis (at least in this household!) can hang on for awhile. I'll be a 'mother hen' and tell you like I do my daughter: even when you start feeling better, keep vigilant with the vitamin C, drinking lots of fluids, and so forth. Sometimes she gets so tired of doing all that and tends to let it slide when the improvement begins, and then it takes longer for her to get back to normal. Just a thought...Not trying to be bossy!

I have only had bronchitis twice in my life, but those two times were enough to give me a real empathy for anyone who gets it!

Is there much sickness in your school? I had 6 children out Monday, four Tuesday and Wednesday, and three yesterday. Today we have another snow day, so perhaps the three days off will help the children to get better.

Feel better soon!

Nancy N on 2/07/03 at 07:24 (108309)

Suzanne--

I certainly don't think you're being bossy! I have never had bronchitis before, so all your information is very helpful and enlightening! I am so sick of this, I just want to get it over with. I'm sort of improving, that I can tell, but I think it'll take another day or two before I see a significant difference. I was still up coughing a lot in the night last night, and finally got so tired of trying to sleep (it's sad when breathing is an irritant that keeps you awake!) and got up to check out the snow. So I figure I'll take a nap later on--maybe more than one. Normally I do drink a lot anyway, but I will try to stay vigilant since I am at home for the next three days--that's usually when I forget about water because I haven't built as much of a habit for it at home. At work, it's always sitting on my desk so it's easy to get enough.

We do have a lot of kids who are out at school lately. Of course, since I was sitting there with full-blown bronchitis myself for a little over a week, I suppose it's not surprising that this stuff is spreading, though even before I was diagnosed I tried to keep a distance from people--even if it had just been an ordinary cough, it was't something I thought other people would like to try!

We are scheduled to have parent conferences today, but since I only taught 6 kids last quarter (I have very small classes, even smaller than typical class size for our school, and last quarter I only taught two classes), and have been sick for so long, I begged my boss to let me hang up a sign telling people they could email or call me if they had a specific concern about their kids. We have the snow, too, but the school decided that we would be there regardless, so I am sure I probably wouldn't have had anyone coming to see me anyway--I usually get one, maybe two. If that. So I have the luxury today of taking some extra time to sleep/rest and recuperate, which is a good thing, because I really think I need it!

Thanks again for all your suggestions--they really are very helpful.

Suzanne D on 2/07/03 at 07:52 (108316)

I'm glad you have the time off from school, Nancy. That will help you to stay in and get more rest. My daughter would really relate to how tired you are of being sick with this. I have heard her say that so many times.

Another point that I have learned through the years is that sometimes bronchitis begins as a bacterial infection, and sometimes it is secondary to a viral infection, if I understand it correctly. It seems to me that when it is a secondary infection to something that started out as viral, you can take longer to get better. I guess that's because the virus isn't touched by the antibiotic, and it has to run its course. Your body is weakened by fighting the virus, so you contract the bacterial infection. Hope I'm not sounding confusing!

I can remember many, many nights when my daughter was little when she would cough almost non-stop. When she was very young, I sometimes held her in a rocking chair so that she could sleep. (She didn't cough as much when she wasn't lying flat.) We would both fall asleep in the rocking chair.

In the bed, if you can elevate the upper part of your body somewhat on extra pillows or cushions - say some you take off your couch - you might find some relief from the coughing.

I hope you can take a nice nap this afternoon!

Nancy N on 2/07/03 at 08:01 (108318)

I'm just plain tired, in addition to being tired of being sick! This bug has really taken it out of me.

I just found out that the parent conferences at school have been cancelled (duh, what were they thinking!) so I am not missing anything anyway. Pity, now I'll end up sitting there some day for four hours doing nothing (except hoping I brought a good book along!).

Anyway, as far as the sleeping--you know the strange thing about this? A lot of the time, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I have trouble going back to sleep. You'd think it would be worse if you wake up and have this intense physical activity going on--but I fall right back to sleep, usually. I guess it's because I'm just so exhausted, but even on school nights, I wasn't worried that I wouldn't get back to sleep. I'd just crawl back into bed and nod off till next time. Still not the best way to get rest, but it beats the alternative! The only time I had trouble getting back to sleep was over a week ago, when I started to cough so suddenly that I woke up from the middle of a dream. It was almost violent, like being pulled through different states of consciousness. And I got a headache immediately--which is what kept me awake for the rest of the night. I took some tylenol (I'm on celebrex for my shoulder so I can't take advil) and that didn't do much to relieve the headache. But that's the only time I had any trouble getting back to sleep.

The pillows are still worth investigating--the question is whether or not they'll feel so strange that I'll stay awake for that reason! Honestly... why is sleep sometimes so complicated?? :)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/03 at 08:11 (108320)

Speaking of headaches, I awakened this morning to an unbelievably severe headache. I took two extra-strength Bayer, and then drove to work and drank a large coffee with skim milk. I feel better for now.

I sure hope that a severe headache is not the first symptom of one of the bugs that's going around. (?)

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/07/03 at 08:23 (108321)

Carole--

I didn't mean to scare you into thinking that the bronchitis came after the headache. I actually got my headache because the bronchitis woke me up so suddenly in the middle of the night one night last week. It was the violent awakening that did it. I didn't have any sort of headache until then, and that was about a week into the bronchitis. So I wouldn't necessarily panic over it.

Though, in my experience, waking with a headache is never a good sign (unless you have it because you woke up too early, like I did), so you might want to take it easy for a day or two and make sure you get enough rest just in case.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/03 at 08:33 (108323)

I am definitely relieved to hear that, Nancy.

Actually, today I got to sleep in an extra hour. The headache awakened me five minutes before the alarm did, fifty-five minutes later than usual, so I didn't really wake up too early at all.

I'm hoping that maybe it's due to the front that came through. I'll try to catch up on my sleep this weekend, too!

I am dreading the moment when this extra strength aspirin wears off, but maybe for nothing. My headache might be gone by then; who knows.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/07/03 at 08:46 (108325)

Great, Nancy. Let us know if it worked. And even if it doesn't, what a great price!