Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone scan

Posted by Rachel W. on 2/06/03 at 04:32 (108166)

I posted a message a few days ago regarding my bone scan with concerns from what I saw on the screen, worried if it was something like cancer.

I rang my rheumatologists secretary as I don't see him until 3rd March, explaining that I was worried.

She reassured me that if they saw anything serious then I would have been contacted straight away.

I thought I'd let you know that I'm relieved and my mind is put at rest.

Thankyou.

Rachel.

Re: Bone scan

Rachel W. on 2/08/03 at 09:36 (108452)

Obviously no-ones interesed anyway.

Julie on 2/08/03 at 11:30 (108469)

That's not really fair, Rachel. Of course people are interested, as shown by the responses you had to your first, worried, post: probably most felt, as I did, that there was no need to respond to your report.

It's good that you got back to the doctor, and were reassured: I'm glad to hear it. Please let us know what happens next.

Dr. Z on 2/08/03 at 13:25 (108479)

I saw the message. I knew you were on the correct path by contacting your
doctor. We never want to give you the impression that we don't care.

Rachel W. on 2/09/03 at 10:22 (108576)

Sorry about what I said. I think I've got a bit of a short fuse since I've had all these troubles with my body.

A year on and I've still not been diagnosed with anything yet my life has changed considerably due to the fact that I cannot walk without severe pain plus stiffness in my back and occasional attacks of pain in my elbows, wrists and hands.

Please take no notice.

Rachel.

Julie on 2/09/03 at 11:03 (108578)

Rachel, please don't worry about it! It's ok. Stick around here, keep posting and reading, for information and support. I hope you'll get a diagnosis soon, and a treatment plan that will give you at least some of your life back.

What tests have you had besides the recent bone scan that scared you so? Has rheumatoid arthritis been ruled out?

Rachel W. on 2/10/03 at 11:08 (108670)

Julie,

I've had 4 lots of bloodtests in the last year, an X-ray on my right knee, left ankle and both feet in August which came back normal then I had an X-ray on my spine lumbar and chest, because of the stiffness all over my back and chest pains, which also came back normal.

The first bloodtest I had was beginning of June. It showed a raised ESR, then I had more done almost straight away. They came back normal. I had another bloodtest in August which also came back normal.

I finally saw a rheumatologist on 16th December. He sent me for more bloodtests including for the HLA B27 gene which is present in most Ankylosing spondylitis sufferers and the bone scan. Unfortunately they don't give any results over the phone and I can't see him until the 3rd March.

When I saw the rheumatologist in December I thought I'd get some an answers but sadly I'm still in the dark.

Thanks for your concerns.

I'll let you know what happens on the 3rd March.

Rachel.

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 11:28 (108674)

Rachael, Hello, I too had a battery of lab tests and they checked for everything, and all came out negative. I don't think the doctors know what to do with me now. Two doctors already told me there was no more they can do for me and don't want to see me so I am going to my GP whom I've gone to for many years for regular stuff. As long as the doctors decide that they are not-a-gonna make $$$ off of you anymore, they dismiss you , they throw us away like an old sock. Excuse me for rambling, but I needed to vent, thanks. Hope al goes well with you and please keep us informed as to how all of your tests turn out. Bev

Rachel W. on 2/10/03 at 11:53 (108680)

Bev,

I'm from England so all my treatment's been on the NHS which is why its been so long winded.

I think whatever is wrong with me, I don't suppose they'll be able to do much about it except what they're doing with me now which is pumping me with anti-inflammatories and suggest swimming (go twice a week).

I feel like I need some sort of label. When people ask me whats wrong its embarrassing saying 'Oh, I don't know'. I feel stupid.

I need to say and think 'Oh yes, I've got this'.

Maybe I can try and get on with my life that way instead of pulling my hair out wondering what the hell it is.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Rachel.

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 13:18 (108693)

Rachel, I know what you mean about a 'label'. It is not easy to tell people when they ask. It's like 'take two asprin, you'll be okay' attitude we get out there, right. I hope the doctors can help you soon and please keep us posted. Bev

Re: Rachel

Julie on 2/11/03 at 02:21 (108771)

I've just done a double take, and realised that you're the same Rachel-in-England who posted here several months (a year?) ago. Welcome back!

It really sounds as though all the things that are going on in your body may have a systemic origin. I hope the battery of tests you've had will get to the cause so that whatever it is can be treated.

The chest pains could be the effect of anxiety, of which you've surely had plenty. Do you practise any simple relaxation techniques? You would find that helpful in lowering your stress levels and in dealing with the pain and the 'not knowing'. Email me if you'd like to chat about this and I'll help if I can - it's juliefried @ clara. co. uk (minus the spaces, of course/)

Rachel W. on 2/08/03 at 09:36 (108452)

Obviously no-ones interesed anyway.

Julie on 2/08/03 at 11:30 (108469)

That's not really fair, Rachel. Of course people are interested, as shown by the responses you had to your first, worried, post: probably most felt, as I did, that there was no need to respond to your report.

It's good that you got back to the doctor, and were reassured: I'm glad to hear it. Please let us know what happens next.

Dr. Z on 2/08/03 at 13:25 (108479)

I saw the message. I knew you were on the correct path by contacting your
doctor. We never want to give you the impression that we don't care.

Rachel W. on 2/09/03 at 10:22 (108576)

Sorry about what I said. I think I've got a bit of a short fuse since I've had all these troubles with my body.

A year on and I've still not been diagnosed with anything yet my life has changed considerably due to the fact that I cannot walk without severe pain plus stiffness in my back and occasional attacks of pain in my elbows, wrists and hands.

Please take no notice.

Rachel.

Julie on 2/09/03 at 11:03 (108578)

Rachel, please don't worry about it! It's ok. Stick around here, keep posting and reading, for information and support. I hope you'll get a diagnosis soon, and a treatment plan that will give you at least some of your life back.

What tests have you had besides the recent bone scan that scared you so? Has rheumatoid arthritis been ruled out?

Rachel W. on 2/10/03 at 11:08 (108670)

Julie,

I've had 4 lots of bloodtests in the last year, an X-ray on my right knee, left ankle and both feet in August which came back normal then I had an X-ray on my spine lumbar and chest, because of the stiffness all over my back and chest pains, which also came back normal.

The first bloodtest I had was beginning of June. It showed a raised ESR, then I had more done almost straight away. They came back normal. I had another bloodtest in August which also came back normal.

I finally saw a rheumatologist on 16th December. He sent me for more bloodtests including for the HLA B27 gene which is present in most Ankylosing spondylitis sufferers and the bone scan. Unfortunately they don't give any results over the phone and I can't see him until the 3rd March.

When I saw the rheumatologist in December I thought I'd get some an answers but sadly I'm still in the dark.

Thanks for your concerns.

I'll let you know what happens on the 3rd March.

Rachel.

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 11:28 (108674)

Rachael, Hello, I too had a battery of lab tests and they checked for everything, and all came out negative. I don't think the doctors know what to do with me now. Two doctors already told me there was no more they can do for me and don't want to see me so I am going to my GP whom I've gone to for many years for regular stuff. As long as the doctors decide that they are not-a-gonna make $$$ off of you anymore, they dismiss you , they throw us away like an old sock. Excuse me for rambling, but I needed to vent, thanks. Hope al goes well with you and please keep us informed as to how all of your tests turn out. Bev

Rachel W. on 2/10/03 at 11:53 (108680)

Bev,

I'm from England so all my treatment's been on the NHS which is why its been so long winded.

I think whatever is wrong with me, I don't suppose they'll be able to do much about it except what they're doing with me now which is pumping me with anti-inflammatories and suggest swimming (go twice a week).

I feel like I need some sort of label. When people ask me whats wrong its embarrassing saying 'Oh, I don't know'. I feel stupid.

I need to say and think 'Oh yes, I've got this'.

Maybe I can try and get on with my life that way instead of pulling my hair out wondering what the hell it is.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Rachel.

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 13:18 (108693)

Rachel, I know what you mean about a 'label'. It is not easy to tell people when they ask. It's like 'take two asprin, you'll be okay' attitude we get out there, right. I hope the doctors can help you soon and please keep us posted. Bev

Re: Rachel

Julie on 2/11/03 at 02:21 (108771)

I've just done a double take, and realised that you're the same Rachel-in-England who posted here several months (a year?) ago. Welcome back!

It really sounds as though all the things that are going on in your body may have a systemic origin. I hope the battery of tests you've had will get to the cause so that whatever it is can be treated.

The chest pains could be the effect of anxiety, of which you've surely had plenty. Do you practise any simple relaxation techniques? You would find that helpful in lowering your stress levels and in dealing with the pain and the 'not knowing'. Email me if you'd like to chat about this and I'll help if I can - it's juliefried @ clara. co. uk (minus the spaces, of course/)