Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For you animal lovers!

Posted by dave r on 2/06/03 at 10:01 (108196)

Mary and I were driving back from the store the other day and i noticed that there was a muskrat walking down the side of the highway. You may remember that my house is a place for all wayword bound animals. Size or type doesnt matter. the just keep showing up.
Anyhow, since all animals are welcome at my house i was forced to pull over to 'check it out'. I told Mary that there is no way that she is going to let it in the car. As soon as we stopped she opened the door and it walked up to her. then it jumped off the ground and made a funny sound. Man i thought we were both goners! So now i am laughing and the muskrat is trying to get inside the car. People are slowing down to see what the heck is going on and i am going nuts.
Finally i convinced her to just let it be on its merry way.......

Re: For you animal lovers!

pala on 2/06/03 at 11:39 (108212)

i observed some muskrats in a park i lived near. they are interesting to watch. this particular family lived near a little pond in the city. it was great to be in a city and watch them.

Necee on 2/06/03 at 13:19 (108223)

Dave you sound like me and my husband, we would stop in a heartbeat to help an animal. Our Annie is a stray that someone dumped alongside the road in the freezing snow, she was only a pup at the time she was rescued, and is the sweeteest little dog. In my opinion, animals don't have to be purebred in order to make good pets.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Happy trails...

Necee

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 13:34 (108227)

anyone who would stop in a heartbeat to help any animal is tops in my book!

nancy

Necee on 2/06/03 at 16:38 (108251)

Nancy you'd do the same thing! So you're tops in mine too.

Happy trails.....

Necee

marie e on 2/06/03 at 18:19 (108267)

We need more people in the world who would stop for muskrats!!!! COOL!

marie

BrianG on 2/06/03 at 20:15 (108279)

Just a quick reminder, muskrats are mammals. All mammals can catch, and transmit rabbies. So, just be careful of any wild animal that may come upon, while your in it's element. What you may think is cute and cudley, could also be the carrier of a disease that can kill, if not treated in time.

Regards
BrianG

john h on 2/07/03 at 12:14 (108348)

Last summer Brian was one of the more serious years in Arkansas for rabies. Our primary carrier is skunks. There were probably 30-40 reported cases but no human cases. My county which is the largest in Arkansas had no reported cases and we have an extrodinary number of wild animals. In my yard I have racoons and oppossum and fox on a regualr basis. The racoons in particular can be very friendly. A mama and 5 babies were all around me with the babies crawling in my lap (glad mamma did not get mad)on a nightly basis. A strange site is to see a racoon, oppossum, and cat all eating out of the same bowl at the same time. Fortunately I have never been bit but know I am a bit stupid here. Just cannot help myself..

john h on 2/07/03 at 12:17 (108349)

I had an injured racoon at my house for about a month. He had a very bad limp and could hardly walk so he just stayed on my front poarch on rear deck. I finally took him to the vet who found he had muultiple fractures in his hip and told me there was nothing to do but put him down as he was probably in serious pain. I get much to attached to animals.

BrianG on 2/07/03 at 20:30 (108411)

Hey John, my sister in law was the same way. Her cats were always bringing live, baby birds, and mamals into her house. She used to catch them with her bare hands and put them outside. Especially baby rabbits!!! I printed out the rabies warning for her, now she uses a nice thick pair of gloves.

I think we have more rabid racoons and groundhogs, than anything else. I've personally dispatched 4-5 through the years. It beats waiting for the dog officer, with kids and all in the neighborhood. My favorite tool is the long handled shovel :*)

Did I say that?
BrianG

pala on 2/06/03 at 11:39 (108212)

i observed some muskrats in a park i lived near. they are interesting to watch. this particular family lived near a little pond in the city. it was great to be in a city and watch them.

Necee on 2/06/03 at 13:19 (108223)

Dave you sound like me and my husband, we would stop in a heartbeat to help an animal. Our Annie is a stray that someone dumped alongside the road in the freezing snow, she was only a pup at the time she was rescued, and is the sweeteest little dog. In my opinion, animals don't have to be purebred in order to make good pets.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Happy trails...

Necee

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 13:34 (108227)

anyone who would stop in a heartbeat to help any animal is tops in my book!

nancy

Necee on 2/06/03 at 16:38 (108251)

Nancy you'd do the same thing! So you're tops in mine too.

Happy trails.....

Necee

marie e on 2/06/03 at 18:19 (108267)

We need more people in the world who would stop for muskrats!!!! COOL!

marie

BrianG on 2/06/03 at 20:15 (108279)

Just a quick reminder, muskrats are mammals. All mammals can catch, and transmit rabbies. So, just be careful of any wild animal that may come upon, while your in it's element. What you may think is cute and cudley, could also be the carrier of a disease that can kill, if not treated in time.

Regards
BrianG

john h on 2/07/03 at 12:14 (108348)

Last summer Brian was one of the more serious years in Arkansas for rabies. Our primary carrier is skunks. There were probably 30-40 reported cases but no human cases. My county which is the largest in Arkansas had no reported cases and we have an extrodinary number of wild animals. In my yard I have racoons and oppossum and fox on a regualr basis. The racoons in particular can be very friendly. A mama and 5 babies were all around me with the babies crawling in my lap (glad mamma did not get mad)on a nightly basis. A strange site is to see a racoon, oppossum, and cat all eating out of the same bowl at the same time. Fortunately I have never been bit but know I am a bit stupid here. Just cannot help myself..

john h on 2/07/03 at 12:17 (108349)

I had an injured racoon at my house for about a month. He had a very bad limp and could hardly walk so he just stayed on my front poarch on rear deck. I finally took him to the vet who found he had muultiple fractures in his hip and told me there was nothing to do but put him down as he was probably in serious pain. I get much to attached to animals.

BrianG on 2/07/03 at 20:30 (108411)

Hey John, my sister in law was the same way. Her cats were always bringing live, baby birds, and mamals into her house. She used to catch them with her bare hands and put them outside. Especially baby rabbits!!! I printed out the rabies warning for her, now she uses a nice thick pair of gloves.

I think we have more rabid racoons and groundhogs, than anything else. I've personally dispatched 4-5 through the years. It beats waiting for the dog officer, with kids and all in the neighborhood. My favorite tool is the long handled shovel :*)

Did I say that?
BrianG