Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spur and sciatica

Posted by Jean Owens on 2/06/03 at 14:03 (108234)

I recently was prescribed some footwear for my heel spur problem. About three weeks after I began wearing the footwear I developed sciatic pain. Is there any connection?

Re: heel spur and sciatica

Dr. Z on 2/06/03 at 16:09 (108245)

Yes this is very possible. If the footwear is making your lower extremity -foot turns outward this could twist the hip joint. Stop wearing these shoe for now and see if the problem stops

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 17:33 (108261)

Jean,

Whenever I got a cortisone shot for my neuroma, which I had prior to developing PF, I would be awake all night with sciatica. I believed that it was due to the way I walked when my foot was numb. The last couple of shots, I attempted to walk as little as possible and it seemed to help. So, a non-doctor, thinks it may well be the way you're walking in the new footwear.

Hope it gets better soon!

Dr. Z on 2/06/03 at 16:09 (108245)

Yes this is very possible. If the footwear is making your lower extremity -foot turns outward this could twist the hip joint. Stop wearing these shoe for now and see if the problem stops

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 17:33 (108261)

Jean,

Whenever I got a cortisone shot for my neuroma, which I had prior to developing PF, I would be awake all night with sciatica. I believed that it was due to the way I walked when my foot was numb. The last couple of shots, I attempted to walk as little as possible and it seemed to help. So, a non-doctor, thinks it may well be the way you're walking in the new footwear.

Hope it gets better soon!