Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Raynaud's confirmed...Thanks again, Dr. Z!!!

Posted by Kathryn B. on 2/07/03 at 16:39 (108384)

Hi, Dr. Z! With nine months of trying to find the source of my foot pain, it now appears that I do have Raynaud's...something that you first suggested. I saw a rheumatologist yesterday who felt this is my main problem, and an orthopedic surgeon today agreed. Both seemed very knowledgeable. The rheumatologist has done lab work to rule out related diseases and will see me back next week. The orthopedic surgeon was very definite, as well. She noted red toes with purple under the toenails and said that the capillary refill was very sluggish. I had experienced very cold feet some winters and hand joint pain one other winter. She felt that I had likely had this tendency, and that a very stressful set of events (plus my upping my smoking during them) set off this occurrence. Rheumatologist feels the same. So, I now I am quitting the smoking! The orthopedic surgeon said that I did have little fat pad, but she felt that my foot structure was, otherwise, good. Just thought I would give this background in case it helps someone else. I was expecting the diagnosis by now, as my feet go from purplish to normal and back, but this is a recent symptoms...probably the lack of it threw off other physicians. It certainly can cause foot pain!!!! No matter what's ahead, it sure is good to feel that I am on the right track in terms of a diagnosis. Thanks again, Dr. Z for your help and to all of you for running this message board!!!

Re: Raynaud's confirmed...Thanks again, Dr. Z!!!

Dr. Z on 2/07/03 at 17:39 (108388)

Glad you found the source of your problem. I like the hot pack/strips that you find in the drug store for this problem. Warm soaks twenty minutes daily is helpful too

Kathryn B. on 2/07/03 at 18:55 (108395)

Will try the hot packs. Guess it was good that I didn't use icing without a diagnosis!!! I have been doing warm soaks already. Really do think you docs are great here!!! Thanks!! Thanks!!

Carol on 2/12/03 at 07:23 (108908)

After reading this, I have the same symtpoms of Raynaud's - I have been in pain now for 3 months, I do get sores on my toes and blisters often. I'm wearing orthotics in my atheletic shoes, however not in my dress shoes.

How do you confirm a diagnosis of Raynaud's first of all, can you give me the list of symptoms I need to look for.

Waht causes this?

I'm just ready to get rid of this pain,

Thanks for yourr help!

Dr. Z on 2/07/03 at 17:39 (108388)

Glad you found the source of your problem. I like the hot pack/strips that you find in the drug store for this problem. Warm soaks twenty minutes daily is helpful too

Kathryn B. on 2/07/03 at 18:55 (108395)

Will try the hot packs. Guess it was good that I didn't use icing without a diagnosis!!! I have been doing warm soaks already. Really do think you docs are great here!!! Thanks!! Thanks!!

Carol on 2/12/03 at 07:23 (108908)

After reading this, I have the same symtpoms of Raynaud's - I have been in pain now for 3 months, I do get sores on my toes and blisters often. I'm wearing orthotics in my atheletic shoes, however not in my dress shoes.

How do you confirm a diagnosis of Raynaud's first of all, can you give me the list of symptoms I need to look for.

Waht causes this?

I'm just ready to get rid of this pain,

Thanks for yourr help!