Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eswt for other areas of the foot

Posted by peter f on 2/08/03 at 04:03 (108438)

I have had a great response to eswt in the medial heels (usual spot) it def worked-if its placebo then its the only placebo response I have had in 2.5 yrs!

Like many people I have areas of arch tenderness and even some PF tenderness feelings in other spots eg near the base of fifth metatarsal-do you think eswt will be ever used on other areas of the pl fascia or has it been used already like this?

Re: eswt for other areas of the foot

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/08/03 at 11:24 (108466)

Peter:

One other area of the foot that ESWT has been used successfully is the achilles tendon at its attachment to the heel bone.

ESWT is only indicated for insertional PF in the foot by the FDA. Uses in other area of the foot are considered 'off label' uses. Off label usage is perfectly legal but is unlikely to have insurance coverage in the US.

The FDA is approving ESWT on a tendon by tendon (or ligament) basis. At this rate, we will be able to treat all tendinopathies in the body about 200 years from now. Logic and common sense will eventually prevail and a 'body-wide' indication will probably occur, hopefully, in the next few years.
Ed

Peter F on 2/08/03 at 12:45 (108477)

thanks for the info

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/08/03 at 11:24 (108466)

Peter:

One other area of the foot that ESWT has been used successfully is the achilles tendon at its attachment to the heel bone.

ESWT is only indicated for insertional PF in the foot by the FDA. Uses in other area of the foot are considered 'off label' uses. Off label usage is perfectly legal but is unlikely to have insurance coverage in the US.

The FDA is approving ESWT on a tendon by tendon (or ligament) basis. At this rate, we will be able to treat all tendinopathies in the body about 200 years from now. Logic and common sense will eventually prevail and a 'body-wide' indication will probably occur, hopefully, in the next few years.
Ed

Peter F on 2/08/03 at 12:45 (108477)

thanks for the info