Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Gel-filled mats

Posted by Helen M. on 2/08/03 at 18:43 (108509)

Found something that works (for me anyway). It's a gel mat about 20 X 20 inches and 1/2' thick. There's no foam--just a film-encased gel. I like it because it gets rid of pressure points when I stand doing dishes or things around the house. Sorry I don't have a phone number to get one. The label says cloudpad.com

Helen

Re: Gel-filled mats

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/03 at 19:00 (108513)

That sounds really nice! Maybe it could help in the shower too.

Carole C

Mar on 2/09/03 at 16:22 (108607)

I checked it out -- cloudpad.com -- they are $129 on sale for $99. This PF sure is an expensive condition!! Mar

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/03 at 20:02 (108630)

That's for sure! But it's not as bad as the hospital bill when I had an emergency gall bladder removal. $23,000, and that was back in 1994 or so. Health insurance didn't pay all of it, either, and a substantial amount ended up being mine to pay (wasn't I lucky? LOL).

I don't feel like tallying it up again tonight, but I know my expenditures for PF were 'only' somewhere between $1200-$2000. Aargh.

Carole C

Mar on 2/10/03 at 05:23 (108658)

$23,000??? Yikes!! Well, my PF is up to about $6,500 - $7,000 in expenses and I'm still in extreme pain!! That's the 'kicker' (pun intended!!) Mar

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 08:50 (108663)

That's a lot! At least my gall bladder stopped hurting after the surgery.

With that kind of bill, I would figure that probably you had ESWT? If so, maybe it would be worth asking your ESWT man if he would do it again for free, since it didn't work the first time. Couldn't hurt, and maybe he'd say yes.

Carole C

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 11:18 (108673)

Mar, You had ESWT and it did not help? Are you having it again? You are using a scooter, right? Do you need it at all times, or just at work? I agree that this PF can be $$$, I guess cause we are all grasping at anything we hear of to try as we are all pretty ancious to get over this, so we try about all we can. I am sitting here with ice bottles ,rolling my feet on them as I sit here. I did Julie's foot yoga exercises first. If Julie reads this perhaps she could advise ne on other yoga or pilates exercises I can do so I don't gain weight during this ordeal. I need some tapes I can follow that are not having us up on pur feet during the exercises. I haven't been able to go out shopping for any tapes. I guess it is my own fault that I do not go shopping as I am so against using the scooter at WalMart , I've never used them and I am afraid I would run everyone over. Also I don't want to look like I am looking for sympathy. I'm afraid that my hubby would feel like he has an invalid for a wife if I use it while we shop, so he does all the shopping now. Am
I being silly? Thanks for all of your help out there in PF land. Bev

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 11:38 (108676)

I might order the gel fill mat if it works in the shower. Take it with me to hotels when I travel. Is it waterproof?

BTW, I started doing Joyce Vedral's program without weights at first. I added weights and did the best I could. Even doing the program without weights is good for you.

Carole, I bragged in another post..I have lost 15 lbs on ww (slow) but I am losing a lot inches and the PF monster is getting way smaller (I can stand longer...and am ordering cuter shoes since my feet are not as sensitive). It has taken me since 09/01 to lose 25 lbs...so slow!

I can say though that the men are starting to FINALLY notice (more guys are getting friendlier). Too bad I am too insecure from my PF still to be in the mood for a relationship. Only a fellow PF'er could understand what I mean about that.

The SDOs I wear feeling like jello filled mats. getting one to use for dishes and cooking would be great!

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 11:55 (108681)

Mah, Does this exercise program have you on your feet? I need something I can do that does not have me up on my feet, as all us PF'ers know, we can't stand up much, can we? I guess I need to go find a tape somewhere. I wish I could find something on-line as to shop is too hard to do. Perhaps I will look for some sights I can order tapes from . Bev

Re: weight loss, PF, relationships

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 12:48 (108687)

That is great, Melissa! I wish I had lost 25 pounds since September. LOL I lost quite a bit before PF, stayed about the same during PF, and since I recovered I have actually GAINED. I am so mad at myself. I am trying to get back 'on program' with Weight Watchers. It looks like maybe we will have 'Weight Watchers At Work' starting up at my job, so there's my chance.

I need to start getting regular exercise more too.

You're right - - I know exactly what you mean about that, and probably most other single PF'ers can relate to not being in the mood for a relationship because of feeling insecure from PF. When I first got PF, just two weeks after my diagnosis (when I was in a lot of pain) Bobbie (the man I was dating) just stopped seeing me. That really hurt and he gave no reason. I didn't want to go through that again, and I didn't really date much for a while. Now that I'm recovered I still haven't been going out as much as I did before PF. I've been writing Frank and seeing him when he is back for a visit, but that's fairly 'safe' because he moved 1300 miles away a few years back.

Good news, though; he's coming back for a one week visit during Mardi Gras. His family will mostly be out of town then, so he's just coming to see me. He's going to take me to two of the biggest Mardi Gras parades, and to an opulent Mardi Gras ball. This would be a big challenge for me physically even before PF, due to my arthritis. I am determined to handle it if it kills me! I hope I can do it because these are things that I've always wanted to do. I will let y'all know how it goes.

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 12:48 (108688)

hi bev, please try very hard to get over the psychological pain of having to use a scooter. it will free you! and it will free your husband! i know this from firsthand experience.

i was very reluctant at first, too. and i admit, the very first time i used it (at home depot, with my husband), i ran over his foot, almost knocked over a display, etc. We laughed about it and it was no big deal. in fact, we had fun. he was happy i was out somewhere with him without killing my feet, instead of stuck in the house as usual.

then i got to using it at the market so i could do the grocery shopping and take some of the load off of my husband. nobody thought i was looking for sympathy. they were very nice -- reaching things for me if i was having trouble and so on. you know you're using the scooter because you have an injury; it's nothing to be ashamed of.

using the scooter may be one of the many reasons i'm so much better now. go for it!

nancy

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 12:59 (108691)

Carole C., WOW, Mardi Gras ball , sounds like a ball ! My hubby said some day he would like to visit New Orleans some day. My son was there on a youth seminar years ago and they went to a place to eat(Pastor picked out the place), and they couldn't figure out why there were all men and no women there--- poor pastor--he will never live that down, he was so embarrased. Anyway, have a great time at the ball and let us know how it was. Bev

monte on 2/10/03 at 13:36 (108698)

melissa

i see you name alot and never corresponded with you. I am glad to see that you are feeling better....I remember you being pretty bad at one point. Did you have arch pain too? I have the arch pain in both feet as well as the heel pain. But i must say, my heel pain has gone down to a personal pain level of about 1 in my right foot and 2 in my left. But the arches still hurt/burn. I think the ESWT helped me. DR Z did a sonogram and found that the inflammation that I had in Aug 2002 was now gone!
How are those orthotics that you wear? Are they good for the arches?
Thanks
Monte

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 14:05 (108699)

I definitely will give everyone a full report! I've never been to a Mardi Gras ball before. It looks like a pretty opulent, ornate, and lavish affair, but fun too and it will be something to remember for a long time. I just hope I can figure out something to wear that is comfortable and sufficiently formal. It's been decades since I've been to anything at which most of the men wore tuxedos, and I think this is like that.

Tell your son not to feel embarrassed about eating at a place like that. For some reason, nobody around here cares too much about that, one way or the other. Lots of times people who are not gay, go to gay establishments if the food or music is better. Now in Baton Rouge, and most everywhere else I've lived in the South, it would be a different matter.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 14:07 (108700)

Monte, what great news to hear that your heels are healing and that your inflammation and pain is down!!!

That's definitely a step in the right direction. I suspect your arches will be the next to improve. :)

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 14:25 (108702)

I knew you'd understand, Carole! Good luck to you...you are brave to go to a Mardi Gras! (All that standing).

I think if I could meet a guy who was not turned off so much by me not being able to stand, things could work out.

(The list includes hiking, walks without sitting...etc).

monte on 2/10/03 at 14:26 (108703)

carole
thanks for the support that you provided when i was down. I still have the long (very informative) e-mails from you and Nancy and Carmen.

Dr Z wants me to get my orthotics adjusted and start physical therapy to regain strength. I rested so much that now my legs shake when i walk down the stairs.

But I will try to get it all back VERY SLOWLY!...I still am very injured, just not as bad as last year.

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 14:29 (108705)

monte,

I had great pain in arch and heel, but mostly in arch.

I was up to a 8 or 9, losing sleep at night sometimes.

Now I am down to a 0 during the day...3 to 4 standing and only like a 7 standing in line at the end of my time. At least I don't often get foot cramps anymore.

I get leg cramps ... pain moves around to leg, even hip as I get better.

My toes for some reason take turns (left than right) hurting sometimes, getting all crampy and also spasms. Weird.

I use SDOs and also get PT weekly from my friendly torturer, my chiropractor. He puts an electrical device on my back and also does ultra sound on legs and feet, plus he twists and adjusts me.

I am happy to hear ESWT helped you. I intend to try it if i don't fully heal. Blessings.

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 15:42 (108714)

Carole, What I would be worried about is what kind of shoes can you wear to the ball? I can't dress up at all anymore as New Balance and Camboots do not go to well with dress clothes. Oh , well, someday. Have fun!
Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 15:43 (108715)

Monte, that is so sweet of you to say! I had forgotten all about that.

I found that most of my strength returned surprisingly fast once my feet were mostly healed, and you may find that is true also. I don't do much stair climbing, though; never have.

You have the right attitude. Take it easy. You are healing, so you have been doing the right things and there is no rush. The physical therapist can help you too.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 15:59 (108717)

That's the nice thing about Frank. He understands. Well, at least I think he does. I still feel some pressure although that may be originating in my own mind. He usually pays attention to non-verbal signs (like slowing down, or not talking much) and asks me if I need to sit down before I mention it.

Actually I am not brave, I am terrified! LOL But life is for living and I am determined to do this; I can hardly wait. My feet do feel recovered right now, despite my fears. I just hope that my recovered feet (and knees, etc) can handle this.

I think I'll wear my New Balance to the parades, or maybe my Birkenstocks if he thinks there'll be more standing than walking. I will have to wear dressy flats to the ball, I think (I refuse to wear heels!), but my feet will be fine with that as long as I don't have to walk too far. There will be places to sit at the ball, but I won't want to sit much, I'd imagine.

I think you are right. If you could meet someone who would tolerate that, probably the two of you would get along really well. A bonus would be that even when you can stand forever and not hurt, you would know that he would stick by you when times are tough. People like that are so rare.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 16:05 (108719)

Although PF had me pretty severely limited last year, my feet are recovered (I think?). I was able to wear some dress flats for a whole day about three weeks ago, when I had to in order to chair a meeting for work. They really did not hurt. I plan to wear the same flats to the ball. I refuse to wear high heels! I would not have worn them even before PF, because I hate heels and I'm awkward in them.

The standing in dress flats part doesn't scare me. The part that scares me is if we have to walk very far from where we park to the ball. Maybe there will be parking right there (I hope!).

Believe me, I will have a LOT of fun! I plan to 'have a ball', at the Ball! :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 16:46 (108720)

sorry, bev, i get the feeling that my advice bothers you. i'll knock it off! best of luck to you.

Mar on 2/10/03 at 17:34 (108724)

CAROLE --

I had 2 ESWT all for one price and can get a 3rd one included as well. We're trying to decide if it will help at this point. Mar

Mar on 2/10/03 at 17:41 (108726)

Bev -

I had 2 ESWTs and they have not helped me. I might still get a third one?? The scooter - I use it at work everyday now and for stores and anywhere that i will have to walk - like when I go to hospital for pain management. I'll use it more in the spring and summer when the weather is nicer. At Walmart and ShopRite I use the ones in the stores because they have nice big baskets. The first time I used one I felt foolish and self-conscious, but i soon got over it because at least i can shop and do things that i couldn;t before. The first day at work i felt foolish also, but now it is just accepted and I am so happy to have it. So, be daring and go for it. I still crash into things - so what!! It makes people laugh ;-) It helps me NOT to feel like an invalid because at least i can do things that i couldn't before. Go for it! Mar

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 18:32 (108735)

Nancy, No I am not bothered at all, I LOVE all of your help, and I really appreciate all of your concern. You help me out a lot. Thankyou very much!!Bev

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 18:57 (108739)

thanks, bev, i was worried i'd offended somehow. i'm so glad that's not the case. i must be getting separation anxiety from the board since i'm going away for a week! you're asking great questions and must be learning a lot, so i do wish you the very best in finding the right combination of treatments to work for you. i had a long bout of pf and tendonitises, and am much better, but if i weren't, i'd have tried eswt by now. i think it's well worth a try.
nancy

monte on 2/10/03 at 20:13 (108743)

i hope the arches are the last to heal and we are on our way. thanks for the information. p.s. do you like the SDOs?

another thing....don't worry about meeting a man who can deal with you not standing. There are alot of caring people out there who DO understand us. The right person comes along and cares for us whether we stand or stand or lay down. Trust me!

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 20:52 (108751)

you are so right, monte! there ARE caring people out there who are capable of loving no matter what disabilities or hardships come with the package. i've met people like that in my store -- people who have fallen in love with others who have all sorts of problems, and married them too.

for any pf'er who wants this as a part of life and doesn't have it yet: remain open, stay alive in your spirit, don't fold in on yourself, keep your interest in others and in the rest of the world, and opportunities will present themselves and you'll be able to SEE & embrace them.

nancy
p.s. Continued good luck to you, monte.

Mar on 2/10/03 at 20:56 (108753)

Hey Nancy - look for one of those guys in your store for me, ok? ;-) Mar

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 21:21 (108754)

ok mar -- i'll start getting their names, addresses, and phone numbers, just for you! the top of the list will say: 'ALL OPEN-MINDED PEOPLE WITH HEART, SIGN HERE.'

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 21:28 (108757)

Another lesson that PF has been teaching us: not to be uncaring like that! To remain compassionate, caring, insightful, and deep, even if/when PF is gone with the wind.

Oh well, my father always told me that misfortune was 'character building'. I hated hearing it then, and I hate hearing myself say it now, but I'm beginning to understand. I guess this PF mess is our chance to build character. (oh goodie?)

Carole C

Re: Carole: Mardi Gras Ball...

Suzanne D on 2/10/03 at 21:31 (108758)

Wow, Carole ~ How exciting! I think I would feel like Cinderella at such an affair!

Do tell us all about it: your outfit, the decorations, the music, the food...:-)

You are smart to wear shoes already broken in.

By the way, I hope you're feeling better today!
Suzanne :-)

Re: PF as a character-builder

Julie on 2/11/03 at 02:52 (108775)

Hi Carole

Your dad was right, but I think only up to a point. Whether a misfortune (let's call it a challenging experience) is character building depends on what you make of it. Some people, like yourself and others here, become more compassionate and caring and insightful, others are embittered. Some open up more to life's possibilities, others turn in on themselves. Some will go deeper into things as a result of a painful experience, others will forget all about it once they're 'back to normal'.

Whatever experiences we get - and we have very little control over that - we have a choice as to how we look at them and what we do with them.

I'll bet your dad knew how to use his experiences - and you certainly do.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/11/03 at 07:41 (108783)

I do think I will feel like Cinderella! This is such a great opportunity and one that I just can't pass up. I will definitely keep everyone informed about every last detail.

Thanks for caring about my 'flu-like illness' bug. Everyone seems to be sick lately. I'm feeling a little better, I think, and decided to go to work. :)

Carole C

Re: To Melissa

Kathy G on 2/11/03 at 08:52 (108789)

Melissa,

I'm so happy to hear of your wonderful progress! For some reason, and I have no idea why, yesterday while I was putting on my shoes, I thought of you! Isn't that strange? I have no idea why unless it's because I haven't ruled out the SDO's and subconsciously it made me think of you. But I was wondering how you were doing.

Congratulations! I am hopeful that you will continue to heal! It's good to hear from you!

Mahatmelissama on 2/11/03 at 13:06 (108810)

Thx Kathy! The SDOs are muy comfortable, I love them.
I am much better but still have to go a long way healing.

I would guesstimate I am about 50% better than I was back in July 2002.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/03 at 19:00 (108513)

That sounds really nice! Maybe it could help in the shower too.

Carole C

Mar on 2/09/03 at 16:22 (108607)

I checked it out -- cloudpad.com -- they are $129 on sale for $99. This PF sure is an expensive condition!! Mar

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/03 at 20:02 (108630)

That's for sure! But it's not as bad as the hospital bill when I had an emergency gall bladder removal. $23,000, and that was back in 1994 or so. Health insurance didn't pay all of it, either, and a substantial amount ended up being mine to pay (wasn't I lucky? LOL).

I don't feel like tallying it up again tonight, but I know my expenditures for PF were 'only' somewhere between $1200-$2000. Aargh.

Carole C

Mar on 2/10/03 at 05:23 (108658)

$23,000??? Yikes!! Well, my PF is up to about $6,500 - $7,000 in expenses and I'm still in extreme pain!! That's the 'kicker' (pun intended!!) Mar

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 08:50 (108663)

That's a lot! At least my gall bladder stopped hurting after the surgery.

With that kind of bill, I would figure that probably you had ESWT? If so, maybe it would be worth asking your ESWT man if he would do it again for free, since it didn't work the first time. Couldn't hurt, and maybe he'd say yes.

Carole C

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 11:18 (108673)

Mar, You had ESWT and it did not help? Are you having it again? You are using a scooter, right? Do you need it at all times, or just at work? I agree that this PF can be $$$, I guess cause we are all grasping at anything we hear of to try as we are all pretty ancious to get over this, so we try about all we can. I am sitting here with ice bottles ,rolling my feet on them as I sit here. I did Julie's foot yoga exercises first. If Julie reads this perhaps she could advise ne on other yoga or pilates exercises I can do so I don't gain weight during this ordeal. I need some tapes I can follow that are not having us up on pur feet during the exercises. I haven't been able to go out shopping for any tapes. I guess it is my own fault that I do not go shopping as I am so against using the scooter at WalMart , I've never used them and I am afraid I would run everyone over. Also I don't want to look like I am looking for sympathy. I'm afraid that my hubby would feel like he has an invalid for a wife if I use it while we shop, so he does all the shopping now. Am
I being silly? Thanks for all of your help out there in PF land. Bev

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 11:38 (108676)

I might order the gel fill mat if it works in the shower. Take it with me to hotels when I travel. Is it waterproof?

BTW, I started doing Joyce Vedral's program without weights at first. I added weights and did the best I could. Even doing the program without weights is good for you.

Carole, I bragged in another post..I have lost 15 lbs on ww (slow) but I am losing a lot inches and the PF monster is getting way smaller (I can stand longer...and am ordering cuter shoes since my feet are not as sensitive). It has taken me since 09/01 to lose 25 lbs...so slow!

I can say though that the men are starting to FINALLY notice (more guys are getting friendlier). Too bad I am too insecure from my PF still to be in the mood for a relationship. Only a fellow PF'er could understand what I mean about that.

The SDOs I wear feeling like jello filled mats. getting one to use for dishes and cooking would be great!

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 11:55 (108681)

Mah, Does this exercise program have you on your feet? I need something I can do that does not have me up on my feet, as all us PF'ers know, we can't stand up much, can we? I guess I need to go find a tape somewhere. I wish I could find something on-line as to shop is too hard to do. Perhaps I will look for some sights I can order tapes from . Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 12:48 (108687)

That is great, Melissa! I wish I had lost 25 pounds since September. LOL I lost quite a bit before PF, stayed about the same during PF, and since I recovered I have actually GAINED. I am so mad at myself. I am trying to get back 'on program' with Weight Watchers. It looks like maybe we will have 'Weight Watchers At Work' starting up at my job, so there's my chance.

I need to start getting regular exercise more too.

You're right - - I know exactly what you mean about that, and probably most other single PF'ers can relate to not being in the mood for a relationship because of feeling insecure from PF. When I first got PF, just two weeks after my diagnosis (when I was in a lot of pain) Bobbie (the man I was dating) just stopped seeing me. That really hurt and he gave no reason. I didn't want to go through that again, and I didn't really date much for a while. Now that I'm recovered I still haven't been going out as much as I did before PF. I've been writing Frank and seeing him when he is back for a visit, but that's fairly 'safe' because he moved 1300 miles away a few years back.

Good news, though; he's coming back for a one week visit during Mardi Gras. His family will mostly be out of town then, so he's just coming to see me. He's going to take me to two of the biggest Mardi Gras parades, and to an opulent Mardi Gras ball. This would be a big challenge for me physically even before PF, due to my arthritis. I am determined to handle it if it kills me! I hope I can do it because these are things that I've always wanted to do. I will let y'all know how it goes.

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 12:48 (108688)

hi bev, please try very hard to get over the psychological pain of having to use a scooter. it will free you! and it will free your husband! i know this from firsthand experience.

i was very reluctant at first, too. and i admit, the very first time i used it (at home depot, with my husband), i ran over his foot, almost knocked over a display, etc. We laughed about it and it was no big deal. in fact, we had fun. he was happy i was out somewhere with him without killing my feet, instead of stuck in the house as usual.

then i got to using it at the market so i could do the grocery shopping and take some of the load off of my husband. nobody thought i was looking for sympathy. they were very nice -- reaching things for me if i was having trouble and so on. you know you're using the scooter because you have an injury; it's nothing to be ashamed of.

using the scooter may be one of the many reasons i'm so much better now. go for it!

nancy

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 12:59 (108691)

Carole C., WOW, Mardi Gras ball , sounds like a ball ! My hubby said some day he would like to visit New Orleans some day. My son was there on a youth seminar years ago and they went to a place to eat(Pastor picked out the place), and they couldn't figure out why there were all men and no women there--- poor pastor--he will never live that down, he was so embarrased. Anyway, have a great time at the ball and let us know how it was. Bev

monte on 2/10/03 at 13:36 (108698)

melissa

i see you name alot and never corresponded with you. I am glad to see that you are feeling better....I remember you being pretty bad at one point. Did you have arch pain too? I have the arch pain in both feet as well as the heel pain. But i must say, my heel pain has gone down to a personal pain level of about 1 in my right foot and 2 in my left. But the arches still hurt/burn. I think the ESWT helped me. DR Z did a sonogram and found that the inflammation that I had in Aug 2002 was now gone!
How are those orthotics that you wear? Are they good for the arches?
Thanks
Monte

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 14:05 (108699)

I definitely will give everyone a full report! I've never been to a Mardi Gras ball before. It looks like a pretty opulent, ornate, and lavish affair, but fun too and it will be something to remember for a long time. I just hope I can figure out something to wear that is comfortable and sufficiently formal. It's been decades since I've been to anything at which most of the men wore tuxedos, and I think this is like that.

Tell your son not to feel embarrassed about eating at a place like that. For some reason, nobody around here cares too much about that, one way or the other. Lots of times people who are not gay, go to gay establishments if the food or music is better. Now in Baton Rouge, and most everywhere else I've lived in the South, it would be a different matter.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 14:07 (108700)

Monte, what great news to hear that your heels are healing and that your inflammation and pain is down!!!

That's definitely a step in the right direction. I suspect your arches will be the next to improve. :)

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 14:25 (108702)

I knew you'd understand, Carole! Good luck to you...you are brave to go to a Mardi Gras! (All that standing).

I think if I could meet a guy who was not turned off so much by me not being able to stand, things could work out.

(The list includes hiking, walks without sitting...etc).

monte on 2/10/03 at 14:26 (108703)

carole
thanks for the support that you provided when i was down. I still have the long (very informative) e-mails from you and Nancy and Carmen.

Dr Z wants me to get my orthotics adjusted and start physical therapy to regain strength. I rested so much that now my legs shake when i walk down the stairs.

But I will try to get it all back VERY SLOWLY!...I still am very injured, just not as bad as last year.

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 14:29 (108705)

monte,

I had great pain in arch and heel, but mostly in arch.

I was up to a 8 or 9, losing sleep at night sometimes.

Now I am down to a 0 during the day...3 to 4 standing and only like a 7 standing in line at the end of my time. At least I don't often get foot cramps anymore.

I get leg cramps ... pain moves around to leg, even hip as I get better.

My toes for some reason take turns (left than right) hurting sometimes, getting all crampy and also spasms. Weird.

I use SDOs and also get PT weekly from my friendly torturer, my chiropractor. He puts an electrical device on my back and also does ultra sound on legs and feet, plus he twists and adjusts me.

I am happy to hear ESWT helped you. I intend to try it if i don't fully heal. Blessings.

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 15:42 (108714)

Carole, What I would be worried about is what kind of shoes can you wear to the ball? I can't dress up at all anymore as New Balance and Camboots do not go to well with dress clothes. Oh , well, someday. Have fun!
Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 15:43 (108715)

Monte, that is so sweet of you to say! I had forgotten all about that.

I found that most of my strength returned surprisingly fast once my feet were mostly healed, and you may find that is true also. I don't do much stair climbing, though; never have.

You have the right attitude. Take it easy. You are healing, so you have been doing the right things and there is no rush. The physical therapist can help you too.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 15:59 (108717)

That's the nice thing about Frank. He understands. Well, at least I think he does. I still feel some pressure although that may be originating in my own mind. He usually pays attention to non-verbal signs (like slowing down, or not talking much) and asks me if I need to sit down before I mention it.

Actually I am not brave, I am terrified! LOL But life is for living and I am determined to do this; I can hardly wait. My feet do feel recovered right now, despite my fears. I just hope that my recovered feet (and knees, etc) can handle this.

I think I'll wear my New Balance to the parades, or maybe my Birkenstocks if he thinks there'll be more standing than walking. I will have to wear dressy flats to the ball, I think (I refuse to wear heels!), but my feet will be fine with that as long as I don't have to walk too far. There will be places to sit at the ball, but I won't want to sit much, I'd imagine.

I think you are right. If you could meet someone who would tolerate that, probably the two of you would get along really well. A bonus would be that even when you can stand forever and not hurt, you would know that he would stick by you when times are tough. People like that are so rare.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 16:05 (108719)

Although PF had me pretty severely limited last year, my feet are recovered (I think?). I was able to wear some dress flats for a whole day about three weeks ago, when I had to in order to chair a meeting for work. They really did not hurt. I plan to wear the same flats to the ball. I refuse to wear high heels! I would not have worn them even before PF, because I hate heels and I'm awkward in them.

The standing in dress flats part doesn't scare me. The part that scares me is if we have to walk very far from where we park to the ball. Maybe there will be parking right there (I hope!).

Believe me, I will have a LOT of fun! I plan to 'have a ball', at the Ball! :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 16:46 (108720)

sorry, bev, i get the feeling that my advice bothers you. i'll knock it off! best of luck to you.

Mar on 2/10/03 at 17:34 (108724)

CAROLE --

I had 2 ESWT all for one price and can get a 3rd one included as well. We're trying to decide if it will help at this point. Mar

Mar on 2/10/03 at 17:41 (108726)

Bev -

I had 2 ESWTs and they have not helped me. I might still get a third one?? The scooter - I use it at work everyday now and for stores and anywhere that i will have to walk - like when I go to hospital for pain management. I'll use it more in the spring and summer when the weather is nicer. At Walmart and ShopRite I use the ones in the stores because they have nice big baskets. The first time I used one I felt foolish and self-conscious, but i soon got over it because at least i can shop and do things that i couldn;t before. The first day at work i felt foolish also, but now it is just accepted and I am so happy to have it. So, be daring and go for it. I still crash into things - so what!! It makes people laugh ;-) It helps me NOT to feel like an invalid because at least i can do things that i couldn't before. Go for it! Mar

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 18:32 (108735)

Nancy, No I am not bothered at all, I LOVE all of your help, and I really appreciate all of your concern. You help me out a lot. Thankyou very much!!Bev

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 18:57 (108739)

thanks, bev, i was worried i'd offended somehow. i'm so glad that's not the case. i must be getting separation anxiety from the board since i'm going away for a week! you're asking great questions and must be learning a lot, so i do wish you the very best in finding the right combination of treatments to work for you. i had a long bout of pf and tendonitises, and am much better, but if i weren't, i'd have tried eswt by now. i think it's well worth a try.
nancy

monte on 2/10/03 at 20:13 (108743)

i hope the arches are the last to heal and we are on our way. thanks for the information. p.s. do you like the SDOs?

another thing....don't worry about meeting a man who can deal with you not standing. There are alot of caring people out there who DO understand us. The right person comes along and cares for us whether we stand or stand or lay down. Trust me!

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 20:52 (108751)

you are so right, monte! there ARE caring people out there who are capable of loving no matter what disabilities or hardships come with the package. i've met people like that in my store -- people who have fallen in love with others who have all sorts of problems, and married them too.

for any pf'er who wants this as a part of life and doesn't have it yet: remain open, stay alive in your spirit, don't fold in on yourself, keep your interest in others and in the rest of the world, and opportunities will present themselves and you'll be able to SEE & embrace them.

nancy
p.s. Continued good luck to you, monte.

Mar on 2/10/03 at 20:56 (108753)

Hey Nancy - look for one of those guys in your store for me, ok? ;-) Mar

nancy s. on 2/10/03 at 21:21 (108754)

ok mar -- i'll start getting their names, addresses, and phone numbers, just for you! the top of the list will say: 'ALL OPEN-MINDED PEOPLE WITH HEART, SIGN HERE.'

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/03 at 21:28 (108757)

Another lesson that PF has been teaching us: not to be uncaring like that! To remain compassionate, caring, insightful, and deep, even if/when PF is gone with the wind.

Oh well, my father always told me that misfortune was 'character building'. I hated hearing it then, and I hate hearing myself say it now, but I'm beginning to understand. I guess this PF mess is our chance to build character. (oh goodie?)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/10/03 at 21:31 (108758)

Wow, Carole ~ How exciting! I think I would feel like Cinderella at such an affair!

Do tell us all about it: your outfit, the decorations, the music, the food...:-)

You are smart to wear shoes already broken in.

By the way, I hope you're feeling better today!
Suzanne :-)

Re: PF as a character-builder

Julie on 2/11/03 at 02:52 (108775)

Hi Carole

Your dad was right, but I think only up to a point. Whether a misfortune (let's call it a challenging experience) is character building depends on what you make of it. Some people, like yourself and others here, become more compassionate and caring and insightful, others are embittered. Some open up more to life's possibilities, others turn in on themselves. Some will go deeper into things as a result of a painful experience, others will forget all about it once they're 'back to normal'.

Whatever experiences we get - and we have very little control over that - we have a choice as to how we look at them and what we do with them.

I'll bet your dad knew how to use his experiences - and you certainly do.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/11/03 at 07:41 (108783)

I do think I will feel like Cinderella! This is such a great opportunity and one that I just can't pass up. I will definitely keep everyone informed about every last detail.

Thanks for caring about my 'flu-like illness' bug. Everyone seems to be sick lately. I'm feeling a little better, I think, and decided to go to work. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/11/03 at 08:52 (108789)

Melissa,

I'm so happy to hear of your wonderful progress! For some reason, and I have no idea why, yesterday while I was putting on my shoes, I thought of you! Isn't that strange? I have no idea why unless it's because I haven't ruled out the SDO's and subconsciously it made me think of you. But I was wondering how you were doing.

Congratulations! I am hopeful that you will continue to heal! It's good to hear from you!

Mahatmelissama on 2/11/03 at 13:06 (108810)

Thx Kathy! The SDOs are muy comfortable, I love them.
I am much better but still have to go a long way healing.

I would guesstimate I am about 50% better than I was back in July 2002.