Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First line

Posted by Nancy N on 2/08/03 at 21:43 (108530)

I went out last week and got myself two of the Magnetic Poetry kits, which were on 50% off sale at Borders, thinking I could use them to generate some ideas for my writing. I was very surprised at some of the words that were in the Classic set--things like 'chameleon' and 'anchor.' Kind of random! At any rate, it's been interesting to see what I can come up with.

Last night, I decided that there was one word that was so very random it was begging to be used. So here's my potential first line--what do you guys think?

'Our kielbasa revolution seemed like a good idea at the time.'

It has Pulitzer written all over it, don't you think?

Re: First line

Suzanne D on 2/08/03 at 22:10 (108534)

It's full of mystery and intrigue, Nancy! Makes me want to find out what happened next which is just what you want the first sentence to do, I would think!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/03 at 22:11 (108535)

Absolutely! It certainly pulls the reader into the story... makes the reader ponder and think, 'What on earth is a kielbasa revolution?'

(grin)

Sounds like a great start to me! Go for it! lol

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/08/03 at 22:13 (108536)

Yes, I'd quite like to know the answer to thay question myself!

But really, can you imagine writing a poem about kielbasa? I was so baffled by its inclusion in the kit that I just had to find a way to use it!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/03 at 22:32 (108539)

I think it would make a great short story, or introductory chapter to your novel.

Kielbasa doesn't inspire me to poetry though I'd imagine it's probably inspired some limericks from someone.

Carole C

Re: Favorite lines

Nancy N on 2/08/03 at 22:56 (108541)

Yes, I think there's some potential in the strange and absurd world of kielbasa revolution!

I watched one of my very favorite movies tonight--Charade, with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Lots and lots of good lines in that movie, but I noticed one this evening that never caught my attention before. They're crammed into a small elevator, and he's being very matter-of-fact, and she says 'I know it's asking you to stretch your imagination, but don't you think you could pretend for just a moment that I'm a woman?'

Boy, do I have the perfect recipient for that line, but I know I couldn't possibly deliver it half as well as Audrey does!! This one is going to be a new favorite for me.

There are so many others, but it's past my bedtime so I need to get to sleep. But now that I think about it, I suppose I could also filch a line like this one from some movie or book and use it to start something new. That could be interesting!

Julie on 2/09/03 at 04:56 (108547)

Nancy, I love Charade too, and that's definitely one of my favourite lines in the world!

Klaus gave me a box of five Audrey Hepburn videos for my birthday last year: Roman Holiday (my all-time favourite), Sabrina, Charade, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and - hitherto unknown to me but now up there with my other favourites - ' Paris When it Sizzles'. Do you know it?

Nancy N on 2/09/03 at 07:54 (108550)

I haven't ever heard of that one, Julie! What's it about? I love the rest--Roman Holiday is a favorite too, along with the others. I'd cheerfully spend a day or two cluelessly wandering around Rome if I had a host like Gregory Peck.

I did notice last night how many wonderful lines there are in Charade. Some are more obvious than others, like the 'Drip Dry' scene, which is a classic. After watching the movie, and seeing how they get along, it's no wonder that line jumped out at me as one I could use. We get along in much the same way. It all seemed very familiar... :)

Julie on 2/09/03 at 08:24 (108557)

'Paris When it Sizzles' is a spoof of film genres, with about a million wonderful visual gags and great comic/romantic acting by Audrey and William Holden. After we watched it I looked it up on the net and read that it had sunk almost without trace when it was released in the 60s. Now I think it's a sort of minority cult film. Knowing your sense of humour, I think you'd love it.

I think it must be time to watch it again....I could do with a laugh.

Nancy N on 2/09/03 at 08:30 (108558)

Wow, that sounds really interesting! I'll have to check it out--thanks for telling me about it.

nancy s. on 2/09/03 at 08:39 (108560)

lol nancy, thanks for this! i can't envision it in a story, but i'd sure keep it on my refridgerator as a conversation piece.

nancy

Nancy N on 2/09/03 at 09:00 (108564)

Well, this is the challenge, isn't it? To figure out how to turn it into the beginning of a story. To be honest, if I go with this one at all, I'll have to do some research into kielbasa, because I don't think I've ever had it. And even if I have, trying to figure out how it could become a revolutionary item will be a bit of a challenge. But clearly, we're not going for high literature here, so I can head off in some completely absurd direction and see where it takes me :)

And you're right, if all else fails, I can put it on the fridge and see who comments on it!

Leon S. on 2/09/03 at 18:37 (108623)

Pardon me for intruding but the line 'Paris When it Sizzles' comes from the song, 'I Love Paris'. If you already knew that, please excuse the interruption.

Julie on 2/10/03 at 04:59 (108656)

No such thing here as intruding, Leon. It sometimes might sound as though two people are having a private conversation, but that's rarely the case, it just sounds like it, and all are welcome. Yes, I know where the line comes from (in fact when I first mentioned the film, I had it in my head that IT was called 'I Love Paris' and had to change my post.

A wonderful song and a wonderful witty quirky film - have you seen it?

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 11:48 (108679)

Nancy, Up here in polish land kielbasa is something we eat for dinner, I never heard of it till I married into a family of Germans. Bev

Leon S on 2/10/03 at 12:55 (108690)

Julie, I haven't seen it nor have I heard of it. On your recommendation, however, I will look for it in the video store.

Suzanne D on 2/08/03 at 22:10 (108534)

It's full of mystery and intrigue, Nancy! Makes me want to find out what happened next which is just what you want the first sentence to do, I would think!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/03 at 22:11 (108535)

Absolutely! It certainly pulls the reader into the story... makes the reader ponder and think, 'What on earth is a kielbasa revolution?'

(grin)

Sounds like a great start to me! Go for it! lol

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/08/03 at 22:13 (108536)

Yes, I'd quite like to know the answer to thay question myself!

But really, can you imagine writing a poem about kielbasa? I was so baffled by its inclusion in the kit that I just had to find a way to use it!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/03 at 22:32 (108539)

I think it would make a great short story, or introductory chapter to your novel.

Kielbasa doesn't inspire me to poetry though I'd imagine it's probably inspired some limericks from someone.

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/08/03 at 22:56 (108541)

Yes, I think there's some potential in the strange and absurd world of kielbasa revolution!

I watched one of my very favorite movies tonight--Charade, with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Lots and lots of good lines in that movie, but I noticed one this evening that never caught my attention before. They're crammed into a small elevator, and he's being very matter-of-fact, and she says 'I know it's asking you to stretch your imagination, but don't you think you could pretend for just a moment that I'm a woman?'

Boy, do I have the perfect recipient for that line, but I know I couldn't possibly deliver it half as well as Audrey does!! This one is going to be a new favorite for me.

There are so many others, but it's past my bedtime so I need to get to sleep. But now that I think about it, I suppose I could also filch a line like this one from some movie or book and use it to start something new. That could be interesting!

Julie on 2/09/03 at 04:56 (108547)

Nancy, I love Charade too, and that's definitely one of my favourite lines in the world!

Klaus gave me a box of five Audrey Hepburn videos for my birthday last year: Roman Holiday (my all-time favourite), Sabrina, Charade, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and - hitherto unknown to me but now up there with my other favourites - ' Paris When it Sizzles'. Do you know it?

Nancy N on 2/09/03 at 07:54 (108550)

I haven't ever heard of that one, Julie! What's it about? I love the rest--Roman Holiday is a favorite too, along with the others. I'd cheerfully spend a day or two cluelessly wandering around Rome if I had a host like Gregory Peck.

I did notice last night how many wonderful lines there are in Charade. Some are more obvious than others, like the 'Drip Dry' scene, which is a classic. After watching the movie, and seeing how they get along, it's no wonder that line jumped out at me as one I could use. We get along in much the same way. It all seemed very familiar... :)

Julie on 2/09/03 at 08:24 (108557)

'Paris When it Sizzles' is a spoof of film genres, with about a million wonderful visual gags and great comic/romantic acting by Audrey and William Holden. After we watched it I looked it up on the net and read that it had sunk almost without trace when it was released in the 60s. Now I think it's a sort of minority cult film. Knowing your sense of humour, I think you'd love it.

I think it must be time to watch it again....I could do with a laugh.

Nancy N on 2/09/03 at 08:30 (108558)

Wow, that sounds really interesting! I'll have to check it out--thanks for telling me about it.

nancy s. on 2/09/03 at 08:39 (108560)

lol nancy, thanks for this! i can't envision it in a story, but i'd sure keep it on my refridgerator as a conversation piece.

nancy

Nancy N on 2/09/03 at 09:00 (108564)

Well, this is the challenge, isn't it? To figure out how to turn it into the beginning of a story. To be honest, if I go with this one at all, I'll have to do some research into kielbasa, because I don't think I've ever had it. And even if I have, trying to figure out how it could become a revolutionary item will be a bit of a challenge. But clearly, we're not going for high literature here, so I can head off in some completely absurd direction and see where it takes me :)

And you're right, if all else fails, I can put it on the fridge and see who comments on it!

Leon S. on 2/09/03 at 18:37 (108623)

Pardon me for intruding but the line 'Paris When it Sizzles' comes from the song, 'I Love Paris'. If you already knew that, please excuse the interruption.

Julie on 2/10/03 at 04:59 (108656)

No such thing here as intruding, Leon. It sometimes might sound as though two people are having a private conversation, but that's rarely the case, it just sounds like it, and all are welcome. Yes, I know where the line comes from (in fact when I first mentioned the film, I had it in my head that IT was called 'I Love Paris' and had to change my post.

A wonderful song and a wonderful witty quirky film - have you seen it?

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 11:48 (108679)

Nancy, Up here in polish land kielbasa is something we eat for dinner, I never heard of it till I married into a family of Germans. Bev

Leon S on 2/10/03 at 12:55 (108690)

Julie, I haven't seen it nor have I heard of it. On your recommendation, however, I will look for it in the video store.