Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chinese Foot Binding

Posted by Sara on 2/09/03 at 12:44 (108583)

Hello,
I am doing a research paper for my Honors English class, and I was wondering if you could answer some questions I have about Chinese Foot Binding. When does the normal foot stop to grow? What kind of effects would binding the bones of the foot cause in small children? With todays technology do you think we could reverse this process? Thank you for your time. If you do not wish to answer these questions, could you please direct me to someone who would? Thank you again for your time.

-Sara

Re: Chinese Foot Binding

BGCPed on 2/09/03 at 16:23 (108609)

There is an interesting display at the Bata/Beta ? Shoe Museum on Bloor street in Toronto. They have a few pair of those shoes and some pictures of the feet. It is a very inhumane practice and I dont know if it still exists. The girls were put in these at a very young age and the foot would curl under. On an x-ray they resemble a chickens foot with the toes and midfoot curled under.

They also display a very old sandal from an asian country. It is about 3 inches tall. It has a leather bladder inside that was filled with rose water. When the lady would walk the bladder would squirt the water out of holes under the heel and ball. Kind of strange that there could be two totally different types of shoes from that era. One that would torture and one that would pamper.

The museum is actually very interesting. It is about 4 floors and has some things that are thousands of years old. They give narrated tours also

Re: Chinese Foot Binding

BGCPed on 2/09/03 at 16:23 (108609)

There is an interesting display at the Bata/Beta ? Shoe Museum on Bloor street in Toronto. They have a few pair of those shoes and some pictures of the feet. It is a very inhumane practice and I dont know if it still exists. The girls were put in these at a very young age and the foot would curl under. On an x-ray they resemble a chickens foot with the toes and midfoot curled under.

They also display a very old sandal from an asian country. It is about 3 inches tall. It has a leather bladder inside that was filled with rose water. When the lady would walk the bladder would squirt the water out of holes under the heel and ball. Kind of strange that there could be two totally different types of shoes from that era. One that would torture and one that would pamper.

The museum is actually very interesting. It is about 4 floors and has some things that are thousands of years old. They give narrated tours also