Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 Months Post-ESWT

Posted by Julie C. on 2/09/03 at 14:06 (108593)

I am two months post-ESWT with the OssaTron and find my pain has over the last 8 weeks gradually increased to a point where it is now worse than the day I had my treatment. (Let's say it was an 8.5 before and now it's a 9.5...I would label the pain a 10 except that I hate to call anything a 10--I'm saving that number for later!) I spent the day of treatment and 2 other days at home and went back to work on the 3rd post-op day, (I'm an OR nurse.) Day 4 and 5 off, Day 6 and 7 worked, then off 10 days because I locked up my sacro-iliac joint. The first week back to work after my back episode wasn't bad because I was on evenings during a holiday week and the case load was really low. As the numbness that I had the first post-op week has worn off, the pain gets worse. Here's my question: how likely is it that the 2nd ESWT treatment will work better than the first one? I'd love to know the stats from research and from your personal experience with your patient load. And (because my personality type always wants to know) WHAT IF the second treatment doesn't work? Then what? Suffice it to say, I am frustrated beyond description at the pain and the distraction of dealing with it. Thanks in advance for any information! Julie C.

Re: 2 Months Post-ESWT

Mar on 2/09/03 at 16:15 (108604)

Julie -

I had no relief from ESWT #1 and they told me that there were good stats for people in that situation to get relief from ESWT #2. I had #2 in August and am no better than when the PF first started -- I was maybe a slight bit better after #1, but that has been lost. I used to have a day or 2 here and there without extreme pain. Now I always have extreme pain. So I'm wondering what the stats are for ESWT #3! Let's hope the docs can answer both our questions. Good luck -- Mar

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 12:00 (108682)

Mar and Julie C, WOW , to ESWT or not to ESWT is the question. Some get better and some become worse, how are we to judge what to do ? Sure does leave us PF'ers with a lot to think about. Bev

Mar on 2/10/03 at 17:43 (108728)

Life's a crap shoot I guess!! The success rate is very high with ESWT, so i think it is worth the risk. Mar

Julie C. on 2/10/03 at 18:32 (108734)

Bev N.,

Even though it has not worked so far for me, I would agree with Mar that it is a good thing to try (if you can afford it or your insurance pays) because it is noninvasive. I don't blame my PF being worse on the ESWT--I'm absolutely sure that I would be in the same place with my pain if I had not had it at all. But so many people have had ESWT and had a successful outcome that I would never discourage anyone from trying it. Good luck! Julie C.

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 19:19 (108740)

Julie, Thankyou for your help, I will need to check with my ins. and see if I can find a way to have ESWT covered. Bev

Mar on 2/09/03 at 16:15 (108604)

Julie -

I had no relief from ESWT #1 and they told me that there were good stats for people in that situation to get relief from ESWT #2. I had #2 in August and am no better than when the PF first started -- I was maybe a slight bit better after #1, but that has been lost. I used to have a day or 2 here and there without extreme pain. Now I always have extreme pain. So I'm wondering what the stats are for ESWT #3! Let's hope the docs can answer both our questions. Good luck -- Mar

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 12:00 (108682)

Mar and Julie C, WOW , to ESWT or not to ESWT is the question. Some get better and some become worse, how are we to judge what to do ? Sure does leave us PF'ers with a lot to think about. Bev

Mar on 2/10/03 at 17:43 (108728)

Life's a crap shoot I guess!! The success rate is very high with ESWT, so i think it is worth the risk. Mar

Julie C. on 2/10/03 at 18:32 (108734)

Bev N.,

Even though it has not worked so far for me, I would agree with Mar that it is a good thing to try (if you can afford it or your insurance pays) because it is noninvasive. I don't blame my PF being worse on the ESWT--I'm absolutely sure that I would be in the same place with my pain if I had not had it at all. But so many people have had ESWT and had a successful outcome that I would never discourage anyone from trying it. Good luck! Julie C.

Bev N on 2/10/03 at 19:19 (108740)

Julie, Thankyou for your help, I will need to check with my ins. and see if I can find a way to have ESWT covered. Bev