Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

another opinion instead of surgery

Posted by matts on 2/09/03 at 15:55 (108602)

i was scheduled for tendon surgery on posterial and pereoneal tendons on the 17th, but when i went to family doctor this week to look at my finger and wrist we talked about foot and ankle. I showed him mri report and he seemed fairly certain that i should have someone else look at it. he made an appt on my previous surgery date to see another orthopedic dr. this guy looks at feet and ankle but is not solely his practice like the ortho I was going to have surgery with.

I was referred originally to the foot and ankle guy by the podiatrist that is really good, for posterial tendon problem a year ago but this other problem on outside of foot has gotten out of hand now, but the ptt has not gone away compeletly and sometimes the arch hurts very bad along with the heel pf still. the surgery was going to fix what looks like tears in the pereoneals and he was going to look at the post tib while the surgery was performed.

I was still unsure about the surgery, so when family doctor said I should get another to look at it, it was probably what i wanted to hear. the reason i went to him was i did not think i could do crutches, even using a wheelchair some, with my wrist and finger, which he says may be tendonitis also.

I was really confused but i guess it does not hurt to have another opinion. What are other treatments for pereooneal problems besides surgery? I would not mind trying something else if this new guy suggests something. I have taken Bextra for a month, but it did not help at all really. I have not tried anything else for pereoneal tendon problems since i was waiting on surgery.

I looked at some old post on message board and it seems like some people get pain on outside of foot and ankle after wearing arch supports to take care of other problems like ptt and pf. Anyone know if this is possible? What are treatments for perioneal tendon problems? Wow, this got kind of long, if you are still reading i would appreciate any comments. thanks.

Re: another opinion instead of surgery

BGCPed on 2/09/03 at 16:11 (108603)

Matt it is very possible to flare up that tendon. i see about 7 cases a year from over corrected orthotics or even walking with your foot supinated (arch up high) to relieve the pf/arch pain.

too much varus posting in an orthotic can put tension on peroneal tendon. I dont know if you have orthotics or not but if you do have then and have a higher type arch have the person that made them reduce the correction. posting on the lateral side of the orthotic and a cut out 1st met if it is plantarflexed does take some tension off the tendon. if you are comfortable with the person that made your fo then print this and they should know what you mean.

if you dont have any made ask one of your Dr. seems with all the problems you are having you should have been in an fo by now, at least a shot before surg

matts on 2/09/03 at 16:29 (108611)

is fo same as afo? I wore an afo for 7 or 8 months last year and it helped a lot with the ptt and arch pain, it took several adjustments but in the end it definitely had a pretty high arch on the foot portion. strange it helped with one thing but may have hurt something else. I think they would have to remold the foot part or make another one or could it be adjusted/ Thank you for your help.

BGCPed on 2/09/03 at 18:14 (108619)

fo is just a device that goes into the shoe. an afo is up the back of the leg,plastic w velcro straps. i am not sure why you got that if you have no foot drop and your function is relativly normal. perhaps your insurance wouldnt cover a foot orthotic but would an afo?
you may want to ask the doctor or the person that made it why they didnt do an in shoe orthotic

matts on 2/10/03 at 20:23 (108744)

I got the afo after trying several in shoe orthotics to treat the posterial tibial problem and pf. I think they helped alot with the orignal problems. Can orthotics or afo brace be use to treat the new problems in the peroneal tendons?

I have not tried any treatment for outside of foot and ankle pain yet, because I had the surgery scheduled, but now I am going to get another dr to look at this problem and was wondering what treatment could be for these new tendon problems, but now i am concerned that the ptt and pf will get real bad again. Right now the pf and ptt are almost bearable compared to the other pain.

BGCPed on 2/09/03 at 16:11 (108603)

Matt it is very possible to flare up that tendon. i see about 7 cases a year from over corrected orthotics or even walking with your foot supinated (arch up high) to relieve the pf/arch pain.

too much varus posting in an orthotic can put tension on peroneal tendon. I dont know if you have orthotics or not but if you do have then and have a higher type arch have the person that made them reduce the correction. posting on the lateral side of the orthotic and a cut out 1st met if it is plantarflexed does take some tension off the tendon. if you are comfortable with the person that made your fo then print this and they should know what you mean.

if you dont have any made ask one of your Dr. seems with all the problems you are having you should have been in an fo by now, at least a shot before surg

matts on 2/09/03 at 16:29 (108611)

is fo same as afo? I wore an afo for 7 or 8 months last year and it helped a lot with the ptt and arch pain, it took several adjustments but in the end it definitely had a pretty high arch on the foot portion. strange it helped with one thing but may have hurt something else. I think they would have to remold the foot part or make another one or could it be adjusted/ Thank you for your help.

BGCPed on 2/09/03 at 18:14 (108619)

fo is just a device that goes into the shoe. an afo is up the back of the leg,plastic w velcro straps. i am not sure why you got that if you have no foot drop and your function is relativly normal. perhaps your insurance wouldnt cover a foot orthotic but would an afo?
you may want to ask the doctor or the person that made it why they didnt do an in shoe orthotic

matts on 2/10/03 at 20:23 (108744)

I got the afo after trying several in shoe orthotics to treat the posterial tibial problem and pf. I think they helped alot with the orignal problems. Can orthotics or afo brace be use to treat the new problems in the peroneal tendons?

I have not tried any treatment for outside of foot and ankle pain yet, because I had the surgery scheduled, but now I am going to get another dr to look at this problem and was wondering what treatment could be for these new tendon problems, but now i am concerned that the ptt and pf will get real bad again. Right now the pf and ptt are almost bearable compared to the other pain.

Re: what kind of treament for peroneal tendon pain Re: another opinion instead of surgery

matts on 2/15/03 at 12:35 (109264)

going for another opinion Monday on pain on outside of foot and ankle and was wondering what i might expect for options. Can orthotics or brace be use for this, they helped some for earlier posterial tibial pain. I was encouraged by my family doctor to get another opinion from orthopod instead of surgery. I thought that was a good idea also. Thanks.