Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do you do for aerobic exercise?

Posted by Rae S. on 2/09/03 at 17:14 (108614)

Okay, I've been swimming. I think it's great I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the sport. I'm beginning to feel like I should grow gills though. What do you all do for land aerobics? I'm hoping for some creative ideas here. I had thought about getting an eliptocal trainer but the ones I tried out didn't seem to be made for short people. I had to lean forward at an odd angle to grab the arm extentions. Does anyone know if they make an eliptocal trainer where the arm pieces may be closer to your sides? I've been looking at those Gazelles that Tony Little endorses on T.V. I'd like to get some feedback on those if anyones tried that. Biking seems to agitate my tendon. I really need to get my endorphins going any input would be greatly appreciated! I miss running so much.

Re: What do you do for aerobic exercise?

mahatmelissama on 2/09/03 at 18:50 (108626)

I use weights. I also started pilates. Helps my pain sometimes.

Julie on 2/10/03 at 04:08 (108651)

Rae

I can't recall your history, but if you have PF, and it's painful when standing and walking, you might want to think again about the elliptical trainer. I know there's no impact, as in running or on the treadmill, but you're still weight-bearing, and that could easily aggravate your PF.

You might be better off sticking to swimming, as you've discovered that you enjoy it. Upper body weights are a good idea too, and so is Pilates, which emphasises core stability and is mostly non-weight-bearing. Use your enforced holiday from running to focus on other things besides your endorphins- building abdominal strength, for instance.

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 11:33 (108675)

Pilates feels good sometimes ... my leg and feet sometime relaxes after I work my stomach muscles. I also get this from doing sit up and leg raises with weights.

That alone motivates me to do more nad more. :D

(and this is from somebody who has super sensitive feet). I am getting a nicer pair of shoes since I seem to be getting better from pushing my stomach and back muscles to do more. (cuter, higher shoes, tried them on and they were comfy!) I also have lost 15 lbs...grand total of 25 since 09/01 (slow and steady wins the race)

Rae S. on 2/10/03 at 13:19 (108694)

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I seem to have chronic achilles tendonitis with what may be occasional symptoms of PF as well. The doctors aren't all in agreement. I will definetly try the pilates. I know that there seems to be a fine line between to much exercise and not enough. If I quit doing things for too long my tendon almost seems to freeze up. I found that out when my back went TU. The exercise is so important in treatment because my feet seem to affect all of me. The only real cure for the blues is some good old fashioned sweat!

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 14:23 (108701)

I do http://www.joycevedral.com the one called 'Dynamic Tension'. I use only 1, 2 & 3 lbs, doing 12 reps with 1, 10 reps with 2 and 8 reps with 3, then 10 with 2 and then finally 12 with 1. For other excerises (like squatting) I do 3 sets of 10.

I leave out excerises when it hurts too much to do them. I used to not be able to do squats for months and months, now I can do them.

I also do sometimes a pilates tape, beginner one with excerises like 'the hundreds' and so on. If something HURTS, then you stop and do the excerises kind of halfway, as much as you can without the hurt.

I work up a real sweat whenever i do those lifting leg things with my arms laying at my sides. It releases endorphins too. :D

Rae S. on 2/10/03 at 21:27 (108756)

Mahat,may I ask along with this exercise program are you eating any differently than you used to? I actually already have some windsor pilates tapes I just never really got into before. I am going to dig them out. I have some old body sculpting tapes that I used to use about ten years ago laying about somewhere too. If you are losing weight with your feet the way they are now you must have a lot of will power. You should be really proud of that accomplishment. Thanks again!

Julie on 2/11/03 at 02:31 (108772)

Rachel, you'll enjoy Pilates. And keep swimming! But you do need exercises for your feet as well: as you've observed, your achilles tightens up when you're inactive. If you click on the word yoga, you'll be taken to a post I made a while ago on yoga exercises for the feet which seem to have helped people here. You can do these without causing further damage (though if you find them painful, please do them really gently at first).

Julie on 2/11/03 at 03:30 (108778)

I meant Rae, not Rachel. I'd just posted to Rachel - that's what did it. Sorry both of you.

Rae S. on 2/11/03 at 10:15 (108798)

Think nothing of it HEY YOU works just fine for me. I'll try out those yoga exercises and let you know how it goes. Thanks so much!

Mahatmelissama on 2/11/03 at 11:14 (108801)

Yo, Rae,

I do Weight Watchers now (have been since 3/02). I have insulin resistance too (not diabetic but pre-diabetic) so I have more hurdles than I need losing weight. I eat lower glycemic and am having more success now (huge plateau is finally coming to a close).

Since I went down in weight, Weight Watchers rewards me by giving me LESS points! You eat according to your body weight and height. When you get to maintance, you add points until you maintain.

My clothes are falling off of me right now, even though the scale moves not as quick as I would like.

mahatmelissama on 2/09/03 at 18:50 (108626)

I use weights. I also started pilates. Helps my pain sometimes.

Julie on 2/10/03 at 04:08 (108651)

Rae

I can't recall your history, but if you have PF, and it's painful when standing and walking, you might want to think again about the elliptical trainer. I know there's no impact, as in running or on the treadmill, but you're still weight-bearing, and that could easily aggravate your PF.

You might be better off sticking to swimming, as you've discovered that you enjoy it. Upper body weights are a good idea too, and so is Pilates, which emphasises core stability and is mostly non-weight-bearing. Use your enforced holiday from running to focus on other things besides your endorphins- building abdominal strength, for instance.

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 11:33 (108675)

Pilates feels good sometimes ... my leg and feet sometime relaxes after I work my stomach muscles. I also get this from doing sit up and leg raises with weights.

That alone motivates me to do more nad more. :D

(and this is from somebody who has super sensitive feet). I am getting a nicer pair of shoes since I seem to be getting better from pushing my stomach and back muscles to do more. (cuter, higher shoes, tried them on and they were comfy!) I also have lost 15 lbs...grand total of 25 since 09/01 (slow and steady wins the race)

Rae S. on 2/10/03 at 13:19 (108694)

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I seem to have chronic achilles tendonitis with what may be occasional symptoms of PF as well. The doctors aren't all in agreement. I will definetly try the pilates. I know that there seems to be a fine line between to much exercise and not enough. If I quit doing things for too long my tendon almost seems to freeze up. I found that out when my back went TU. The exercise is so important in treatment because my feet seem to affect all of me. The only real cure for the blues is some good old fashioned sweat!

Mahatmelissama on 2/10/03 at 14:23 (108701)

I do http://www.joycevedral.com the one called 'Dynamic Tension'. I use only 1, 2 & 3 lbs, doing 12 reps with 1, 10 reps with 2 and 8 reps with 3, then 10 with 2 and then finally 12 with 1. For other excerises (like squatting) I do 3 sets of 10.

I leave out excerises when it hurts too much to do them. I used to not be able to do squats for months and months, now I can do them.

I also do sometimes a pilates tape, beginner one with excerises like 'the hundreds' and so on. If something HURTS, then you stop and do the excerises kind of halfway, as much as you can without the hurt.

I work up a real sweat whenever i do those lifting leg things with my arms laying at my sides. It releases endorphins too. :D

Rae S. on 2/10/03 at 21:27 (108756)

Mahat,may I ask along with this exercise program are you eating any differently than you used to? I actually already have some windsor pilates tapes I just never really got into before. I am going to dig them out. I have some old body sculpting tapes that I used to use about ten years ago laying about somewhere too. If you are losing weight with your feet the way they are now you must have a lot of will power. You should be really proud of that accomplishment. Thanks again!

Julie on 2/11/03 at 02:31 (108772)

Rachel, you'll enjoy Pilates. And keep swimming! But you do need exercises for your feet as well: as you've observed, your achilles tightens up when you're inactive. If you click on the word yoga, you'll be taken to a post I made a while ago on yoga exercises for the feet which seem to have helped people here. You can do these without causing further damage (though if you find them painful, please do them really gently at first).

Julie on 2/11/03 at 03:30 (108778)

I meant Rae, not Rachel. I'd just posted to Rachel - that's what did it. Sorry both of you.

Rae S. on 2/11/03 at 10:15 (108798)

Think nothing of it HEY YOU works just fine for me. I'll try out those yoga exercises and let you know how it goes. Thanks so much!

Mahatmelissama on 2/11/03 at 11:14 (108801)

Yo, Rae,

I do Weight Watchers now (have been since 3/02). I have insulin resistance too (not diabetic but pre-diabetic) so I have more hurdles than I need losing weight. I eat lower glycemic and am having more success now (huge plateau is finally coming to a close).

Since I went down in weight, Weight Watchers rewards me by giving me LESS points! You eat according to your body weight and height. When you get to maintance, you add points until you maintain.

My clothes are falling off of me right now, even though the scale moves not as quick as I would like.

Lolly O on 3/04/03 at 14:59 (111775)

I was getting really frustrated and sorely missed my beloved treadmill. I finally broke down and ordered that super duper ultra elite GAZELLE. I started with only 15 minutes and then iced. This morning I did 45 minutes and iced. I may be lying to myself, but I don't think using the GAZELLE is causing my heels/ankles to hurt more. But I have only used it (4) times so far.

This new model with the hydraulics is great resistance.
I am so pleased with it. Its almost too good to be true. I hope I am not causing any further damage? Has anyone had a bad foot/heel experince with the GAZELLE?

Lolly O on 3/04/03 at 15:00 (111776)

was getting really frustrated and sorely missed my beloved treadmill. I finally broke down and ordered that super duper ultra elite GAZELLE. I started with only 15 minutes and then iced. This morning I did 45 minutes and iced. I may be lying to myself, but I don't think using the GAZELLE is causing my heels/ankles to hurt more. But I have only used it (4) times so far.

This new model with the hydraulics is great resistance.
I am so pleased with it. Its almost too good to be true. I hope I am not causing any further damage? Has anyone had a bad foot/heel experince with the GAZELLE?

Bev N on 3/04/03 at 17:06 (111792)

OH, to be able to use my treadmill, what a joy it would be to just be able to walk again. My poor treadmill has been so very neglected the past 17 months. I am hoping to be able to go bike riding when the weather gets nice if my PF will allow that. I will have to wait and see.