Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciitis after surgery

Posted by tina t on 2/10/03 at 00:45 (108649)

I had surgery for plantar fasciitis in september 2002 he went in on the side of my foot cut the fascia, and removed a bone spur. It has been 5 months almost since but i am still having pain in morning and during the day, i stand 8 hours a day at work. I just had a ultrasound done and they said that my fascia was still inflammed, i go back to my doctors end of the week. I dont understand if he released the fascia and removed the bone spur, how can it still be inflammed is it possible for him not to have released it all the way. And would i need to have surgery again to get so i can walk with no pain.

Re: plantar fasciitis after surgery

Julie on 2/10/03 at 04:51 (108655)

Tina

I'm sure you'llget a response from one of the doctors; meanwhile may I ask if there is any chance of your getting switched to sit-down duties for the time being? Standing for work 8 hours a day is certainly doing your foot no good! I don't know how soon you began weight-bearing after your surgery, or how soon you returned to work, but this probably has delayed your healing and caused the continuing inflammation.

Before you start thinking 'more surgery' please see if you can get a change in your work duties.

tina on 2/11/03 at 00:30 (108768)

Thanks Julie for responding. I started weight bearing on my foot 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery, i was out of work for five weeks with this.
There is no chance of switching to sit down duties as i work in food service industry and i have to be on the floor to perform my job. Any more info would be appreciated, thanks Tina

Dr. Z on 2/11/03 at 01:04 (108769)

Hi

It can take at least six months to one year for healing. It is very normal to have inflamation after any type of heel spur surgery. Now what to do. I would go for a physical therapy session for at least three time per week for the next six weeks. How it the range of motion in your ankle.? I have used ESWT for slow healing post heel spur surgery and the pain has resolved very quickly

Julie on 2/10/03 at 04:51 (108655)

Tina

I'm sure you'llget a response from one of the doctors; meanwhile may I ask if there is any chance of your getting switched to sit-down duties for the time being? Standing for work 8 hours a day is certainly doing your foot no good! I don't know how soon you began weight-bearing after your surgery, or how soon you returned to work, but this probably has delayed your healing and caused the continuing inflammation.

Before you start thinking 'more surgery' please see if you can get a change in your work duties.

tina on 2/11/03 at 00:30 (108768)

Thanks Julie for responding. I started weight bearing on my foot 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery, i was out of work for five weeks with this.
There is no chance of switching to sit down duties as i work in food service industry and i have to be on the floor to perform my job. Any more info would be appreciated, thanks Tina

Dr. Z on 2/11/03 at 01:04 (108769)

Hi

It can take at least six months to one year for healing. It is very normal to have inflamation after any type of heel spur surgery. Now what to do. I would go for a physical therapy session for at least three time per week for the next six weeks. How it the range of motion in your ankle.? I have used ESWT for slow healing post heel spur surgery and the pain has resolved very quickly

tina on 2/16/03 at 01:08 (109340)

Thanks for anwering Dr, i have been doing physical therapy at home, i went back to my doctor yesterday he said my plantar is still inflamed after looking at the ultrasound results and i also have numbess on my heel and sharp twinging under my arch he now wants me to go to a neurolist he thinks i have tarsal tunnel also. If i have surgery for tarsal tunnel will my plantar inflammation go down, at times i just cry i am tired of this pain if feels like there are needles pinching my feet, i am tired of feeling like a cripple. Tina