Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

acid/alkaline diet to dissolve/prevent bone spurs?

Posted by Marilyn H. on 2/11/03 at 07:39 (108782)

I know that heel spurs don't always cause heel pain, and that heel pain can occur in the absence of bone spurs, but isn't there a way to dissolve or prevent spurs from forming through changing the acid/alkaline balance of diet? Many years ago my grandfather claimed to have dissolved his heel spurs through daily drinks of freshly squeezed lime juice. Could there be any science to back this up? I've suffered off and on from heel pain/spur since 1994, and have been to several podiatrists, had MANY types of orthotics, new shoes, acupuncture, ultrasound, chiropractic, etc. I began having gallbladder attacks in 1995 - gallbladder was removed in 2000. I can't help but think there's some connection between digestive woes/chemistry and foot pain. It has been getting progressively worse, even though I've dropped 35 pounds in the past 6 months. (I'm still very overweight) I can no longer walk for more than 1/2 mile/day without suffering for several days after. Any insight or experience shared would be most appreciated. THANK YOU!

Re: acid/alkaline diet to dissolve/prevent bone spurs?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/11/03 at 16:20 (108831)

Marilyn:
Heel spurs form as a response to chronic excess tension on the plantar fascia. This is probably a normal physiologic response so it is really not related to a dietary deficiency.

Health of our bodies' connective tissue, in general, is affected by diet.
Vitamin C is necssary fro the health of that tissue as well as a balanced diet.
Ed

Re: acid/alkaline diet to dissolve/prevent bone spurs?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/11/03 at 16:20 (108831)

Marilyn:
Heel spurs form as a response to chronic excess tension on the plantar fascia. This is probably a normal physiologic response so it is really not related to a dietary deficiency.

Health of our bodies' connective tissue, in general, is affected by diet.
Vitamin C is necssary fro the health of that tissue as well as a balanced diet.
Ed