Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Excitement at school this morning! A package from one of our soldiers...

Posted by Suzanne D on 2/11/03 at 08:16 (108784)

Some of you will remember that my class and another first grade has been writing to a unit of soldiers who are stationed in Uzbekistan. One of my student's step-father is in the unit. It has been heartwarming to write and receive letters and pictures. It has made the world smaller to my students and to me. It has put extra meaning to our saying the pledge each morning.

Today, we received in the mail a big box from one of 'our soldiers'! He has been writing to two little girls - one from each class - as we have more children than they have members of the unit. He sent each girl a beautiful hand-made doll and a hat. The hat is quite warm and made on the order of a 'coon-skin cap' without the tail, if you know what I mean. They are lined and fit the girls perfectly. He sent to me a lovely shawl, and it is the exact color of my daughter's bridesmaid dresses! They are called Victorian Lilac. I plan to place it across the table on which we will set pictures of my daughter and her fiance. He also sent a mug on which is written Operation Enduring Freedom, a little clay ram and two other dolls. He sent the girls letters, a picture of him, and a picture of his bulletin board on which he has hung their letters.

The girls are all smiles. And I am so proud of the rest of the children. I knew this could cause some jealousy among the others, but I prefaced the whole thing with how we are happy for anyone of us who has something nice happen to them, etc. And they have responded well. And the two little girls who received the gifts are among the most needy in the school. So it couldn't have happened to two more worthy recipients.

I just wanted to share this with you all this morning!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Excitement at school this morning! A package from one of our soldiers...

Carole C in NOLA on 2/11/03 at 10:02 (108795)

That is wonderful, Suzanne! How generous your soldiers are with the little children in your class. I'll bet that this soldier would be especially happy if he knew that the two little girls that got the gifts really need them. :)

Carole C

pala on 2/11/03 at 10:09 (108796)

thanks for sharing that with us. it was very heart wamring.

BrianG on 2/11/03 at 20:50 (108882)

Great Suzanne, I'm glad 'your guys' are in an area that they can send, and recieve mail. Hopefully they will stay safe for the rest of their tour.

I saw half a dozen people tonight, holding signs, to stop the war. I wonder if they would all be out there if terrorists managed to take down the Fleet Center in Boston, say maybe when they had the Democratic conventon going on!!

BrianG

pala on 2/11/03 at 21:05 (108886)

i don't quite get the gist of that brian. i mean i get the first sentence to suzanne. i don't quite see what you mean in the next sentence.

Suzanne D on 2/11/03 at 21:07 (108887)

Hi, Brian! I think I am understanding that this group has been building roads and buildings - evidently to set up camps to make ready for incoming troups. The soldier who sent the package wrote to me that they probably would not be able to receive any more letters and gave the impression that they would be leaving that area. I admit that I don't understand military operations and, of course many things are kept secret. But what I do know is that this has enriched my children's lives as well as mine. The soldier wrote that he intended to come to our school when he returned, and I hope he does.

I read a quote today which said, 'To teach is to learn twice'. That is how I feel: I get to learn again with my students. I've always had the utmost respect for our military, and this has made it very real to me - just like when I visited the traveling Vietnam Wall Memorial.

I certainly don't like violence. I can't even watch violent movies without getting upset and dreaming about it later. But freedom isn't free. And I remember each day those soldiers who put themselves at risk to guard our freedom and to try to help throughout the world. And those, like you, who put themselves on the line in the past to do just that.

Suzanne D on 2/11/03 at 21:10 (108888)

Yes, it has amazed me how much it has meant to the soldiers to receive our little letters and pictures. It has certainly been worth the effort it has taken.

Suzanne D on 2/11/03 at 21:15 (108889)

Thank you, Paula. You should have seen those little girls walking down the hall in their fur hats to show the principal. They walked like little princesses. These are little girls who look like their hair is not combed in the morning. But they felt special today!

pala on 2/11/03 at 22:10 (108893)

that's a real nice image .

BrianG on 2/11/03 at 22:29 (108894)

What I am thinking is that someone has to stop the terrorists. Since the USA always seems to be at the forefront, when it comes to the UN, then so be it. I don't particularly like war, but if it means we have to go over there to stop terrorism at it's source, then lets go.

If we sat back and did nothing, there is a good possibility we would have another 9-11. The protestors don't have an answer to that, they just want to stop war. Sorry, but it started at the World Trade Towers and the terrorist leaders are still vowing to bring terror to the US. I do NOT support the protestors!!!!!! But, this is America and they have the right to protest. I just hope they realize the consequences if we pull out now.

BrianG

Necee on 2/11/03 at 23:11 (108897)

Suzanne I enjoyed reading your message to us about the soldiers.
May we never forget them!

Happy trails....

Necee

john h on 2/12/03 at 09:55 (108918)

I think it would be in my personal best interest and everyone else over 50 if we just ignored Sadam and Iraq. At this point he could be crushed with minimum loss of life and I do not think he will bother us until he is well armed with nuclear power and other weapons. This could take some years and not effect those of us over 50. If you are concerned about your grand children or young people then history tells us we must deal with this matter now. It will only get worse. Meglomanics do not go away. We have seen the likes of Hitler,Stalin,Pol Pot and others who have masacred tens of millions of people in the past century. If left unchecked history is replete with what happens. I have seen war up close and personal and no one who has been in the horror of a war wants to engage in war. We could be at a turning point in the history and survival of Western Civilization. The choices we make now we will have far and long reaching effects. You cannot turn your back on what is squarely in front of you and you must make a choice. Saddam and Bin Laden are not going quietly into the night. They hate our country and our way of life. We are on the edge of the abyss looking in and what we see is not pretty..

pala on 2/12/03 at 10:38 (108919)

so how come this administration is ignoring the korea threat? if you are concerned with your children or grandchildren then worry about the largetst defeicit ever the bush administration created for tax cuts for millionaires. your grandchildren will never know the prosperity that you know and he's trying to do it again. or maybe worry about the ammendment rights that have been gnawed away or totally dismanteledt while we all look at a war that is , at this time, unnecessary. and what about korea? oh, no oil there. and what about hunting bin laden? oh, forgot, no oil for millionares there either. yeah, right, saddam is the biggest threat around.....not.

JudyS on 2/12/03 at 13:22 (108928)

I wonder if Korea falls in to the 'one thing at a time' category. While Iraq has had many years and many diplomatic UN resolutions to work with during those years, it has ignored them. So, instead of thinking that the Bush administration is in a rush to go to war, perhaps it's not a rush at all, but a reaction to nearly 12 years of violating UN resolutions? I'm not certain that this can be termed a pre-emptive strike given so many years of violation. President Bush and many, many folks knew well before he took office that Saddam Hussein was continuing to violate those resolutions and Bush never made a secret of the fact that that was of huge concern. I guess the 9/11 attacks where the last straw - I wonder if some folks see the ensuing reactions, as, finally, the beginning of a 'clean sweep' of terrorism and the attitudes that spawn it.
I worry that the growing presence of the US in the middle east can be viewed as an imperialistic take-over but I also think that maybe it's about time. The middle east has done a poor job of taking care of itself and if religious zealots who believe in murder in the name of Allah continue to be bred for lack of alternatives then the world will never, ever be able to rest.
Oil? Yes, I want the oil. Yes, I want to break the control the middle east has over world economies while its own people starve ( except those who live in palaces). Yes, I want the oil to pay for the work allies are doing and will do to develop democracies. And yes, given our own dependance on oil, I'd very much like to see the US have at least some control of its supply. I'm not a corporation, I just have a house to heat and a car to drive.

Having said all that, N. Korea has, relatively speaking, only just begun its buildup of nuclear materials so I wonder if many diplomatic, UN or otherwise, measures need to be explored before addressing the idea of aggressive measures - like war. I understand that President Bush is communicating with N. Korea's neighbors to develop just such an idea.
I don't think the N. Korean threat is being ignored at all.

I think it's important too to understand that those who support Bush's stand on war do not necessarily do so 'blindly' just because he is the president. The very idea insults the intelligence and dignity of those supporters. I doubt that there is one person who agrees with war without wishing there didn't have to be. Yes, some follow blindly, but I think the vast majority of those who support the president do so after much self-educating and, yes, with at least some degree of faith in our system and our elected officials.

And on the other side, I doubt that there is one person who is against war who doesn't agree that Saddam Hussein has to go. It's the method of his elimination that is in dispute.

As I said to Julie, I'm always craving education on these matters, so if the above seems too simplistic, please forgive me!

pala on 2/12/03 at 14:24 (108936)

well you , judy, are obviously not a blind follower and have very well thought out arguments and i appreciate that. i alsoappreciate your honesty, in the paragraph that begins: 'i want the oil' thank you . it is refreshing. but in my opinion you don't get the profit nor does the iraqi public nor do 'us' unless you are a texas billionaire or a texaco ceo. there is a part of me that would like america and me to get richer on the oil as well. but when i think of the lives lost on both sides, i cannot support oil for blood. and i, we, won't make a profit at any rate. unless i, we , own oil companies. judy, i appreciate civilized dialogue on emotional issues. thanks.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/11/03 at 10:02 (108795)

That is wonderful, Suzanne! How generous your soldiers are with the little children in your class. I'll bet that this soldier would be especially happy if he knew that the two little girls that got the gifts really need them. :)

Carole C

pala on 2/11/03 at 10:09 (108796)

thanks for sharing that with us. it was very heart wamring.

BrianG on 2/11/03 at 20:50 (108882)

Great Suzanne, I'm glad 'your guys' are in an area that they can send, and recieve mail. Hopefully they will stay safe for the rest of their tour.

I saw half a dozen people tonight, holding signs, to stop the war. I wonder if they would all be out there if terrorists managed to take down the Fleet Center in Boston, say maybe when they had the Democratic conventon going on!!

BrianG

pala on 2/11/03 at 21:05 (108886)

i don't quite get the gist of that brian. i mean i get the first sentence to suzanne. i don't quite see what you mean in the next sentence.

Suzanne D on 2/11/03 at 21:07 (108887)

Hi, Brian! I think I am understanding that this group has been building roads and buildings - evidently to set up camps to make ready for incoming troups. The soldier who sent the package wrote to me that they probably would not be able to receive any more letters and gave the impression that they would be leaving that area. I admit that I don't understand military operations and, of course many things are kept secret. But what I do know is that this has enriched my children's lives as well as mine. The soldier wrote that he intended to come to our school when he returned, and I hope he does.

I read a quote today which said, 'To teach is to learn twice'. That is how I feel: I get to learn again with my students. I've always had the utmost respect for our military, and this has made it very real to me - just like when I visited the traveling Vietnam Wall Memorial.

I certainly don't like violence. I can't even watch violent movies without getting upset and dreaming about it later. But freedom isn't free. And I remember each day those soldiers who put themselves at risk to guard our freedom and to try to help throughout the world. And those, like you, who put themselves on the line in the past to do just that.

Suzanne D on 2/11/03 at 21:10 (108888)

Yes, it has amazed me how much it has meant to the soldiers to receive our little letters and pictures. It has certainly been worth the effort it has taken.

Suzanne D on 2/11/03 at 21:15 (108889)

Thank you, Paula. You should have seen those little girls walking down the hall in their fur hats to show the principal. They walked like little princesses. These are little girls who look like their hair is not combed in the morning. But they felt special today!

pala on 2/11/03 at 22:10 (108893)

that's a real nice image .

BrianG on 2/11/03 at 22:29 (108894)

What I am thinking is that someone has to stop the terrorists. Since the USA always seems to be at the forefront, when it comes to the UN, then so be it. I don't particularly like war, but if it means we have to go over there to stop terrorism at it's source, then lets go.

If we sat back and did nothing, there is a good possibility we would have another 9-11. The protestors don't have an answer to that, they just want to stop war. Sorry, but it started at the World Trade Towers and the terrorist leaders are still vowing to bring terror to the US. I do NOT support the protestors!!!!!! But, this is America and they have the right to protest. I just hope they realize the consequences if we pull out now.

BrianG

Necee on 2/11/03 at 23:11 (108897)

Suzanne I enjoyed reading your message to us about the soldiers.
May we never forget them!

Happy trails....

Necee

john h on 2/12/03 at 09:55 (108918)

I think it would be in my personal best interest and everyone else over 50 if we just ignored Sadam and Iraq. At this point he could be crushed with minimum loss of life and I do not think he will bother us until he is well armed with nuclear power and other weapons. This could take some years and not effect those of us over 50. If you are concerned about your grand children or young people then history tells us we must deal with this matter now. It will only get worse. Meglomanics do not go away. We have seen the likes of Hitler,Stalin,Pol Pot and others who have masacred tens of millions of people in the past century. If left unchecked history is replete with what happens. I have seen war up close and personal and no one who has been in the horror of a war wants to engage in war. We could be at a turning point in the history and survival of Western Civilization. The choices we make now we will have far and long reaching effects. You cannot turn your back on what is squarely in front of you and you must make a choice. Saddam and Bin Laden are not going quietly into the night. They hate our country and our way of life. We are on the edge of the abyss looking in and what we see is not pretty..

pala on 2/12/03 at 10:38 (108919)

so how come this administration is ignoring the korea threat? if you are concerned with your children or grandchildren then worry about the largetst defeicit ever the bush administration created for tax cuts for millionaires. your grandchildren will never know the prosperity that you know and he's trying to do it again. or maybe worry about the ammendment rights that have been gnawed away or totally dismanteledt while we all look at a war that is , at this time, unnecessary. and what about korea? oh, no oil there. and what about hunting bin laden? oh, forgot, no oil for millionares there either. yeah, right, saddam is the biggest threat around.....not.

JudyS on 2/12/03 at 13:22 (108928)

I wonder if Korea falls in to the 'one thing at a time' category. While Iraq has had many years and many diplomatic UN resolutions to work with during those years, it has ignored them. So, instead of thinking that the Bush administration is in a rush to go to war, perhaps it's not a rush at all, but a reaction to nearly 12 years of violating UN resolutions? I'm not certain that this can be termed a pre-emptive strike given so many years of violation. President Bush and many, many folks knew well before he took office that Saddam Hussein was continuing to violate those resolutions and Bush never made a secret of the fact that that was of huge concern. I guess the 9/11 attacks where the last straw - I wonder if some folks see the ensuing reactions, as, finally, the beginning of a 'clean sweep' of terrorism and the attitudes that spawn it.
I worry that the growing presence of the US in the middle east can be viewed as an imperialistic take-over but I also think that maybe it's about time. The middle east has done a poor job of taking care of itself and if religious zealots who believe in murder in the name of Allah continue to be bred for lack of alternatives then the world will never, ever be able to rest.
Oil? Yes, I want the oil. Yes, I want to break the control the middle east has over world economies while its own people starve ( except those who live in palaces). Yes, I want the oil to pay for the work allies are doing and will do to develop democracies. And yes, given our own dependance on oil, I'd very much like to see the US have at least some control of its supply. I'm not a corporation, I just have a house to heat and a car to drive.

Having said all that, N. Korea has, relatively speaking, only just begun its buildup of nuclear materials so I wonder if many diplomatic, UN or otherwise, measures need to be explored before addressing the idea of aggressive measures - like war. I understand that President Bush is communicating with N. Korea's neighbors to develop just such an idea.
I don't think the N. Korean threat is being ignored at all.

I think it's important too to understand that those who support Bush's stand on war do not necessarily do so 'blindly' just because he is the president. The very idea insults the intelligence and dignity of those supporters. I doubt that there is one person who agrees with war without wishing there didn't have to be. Yes, some follow blindly, but I think the vast majority of those who support the president do so after much self-educating and, yes, with at least some degree of faith in our system and our elected officials.

And on the other side, I doubt that there is one person who is against war who doesn't agree that Saddam Hussein has to go. It's the method of his elimination that is in dispute.

As I said to Julie, I'm always craving education on these matters, so if the above seems too simplistic, please forgive me!

pala on 2/12/03 at 14:24 (108936)

well you , judy, are obviously not a blind follower and have very well thought out arguments and i appreciate that. i alsoappreciate your honesty, in the paragraph that begins: 'i want the oil' thank you . it is refreshing. but in my opinion you don't get the profit nor does the iraqi public nor do 'us' unless you are a texas billionaire or a texaco ceo. there is a part of me that would like america and me to get richer on the oil as well. but when i think of the lives lost on both sides, i cannot support oil for blood. and i, we, won't make a profit at any rate. unless i, we , own oil companies. judy, i appreciate civilized dialogue on emotional issues. thanks.

john h on 2/13/03 at 08:45 (109011)

Iraq is the major supplier of oil to China and of course France and Germany. I think it is cynical to think we are possible going to war with Iraq over oil. We will not control the oil fields and send the oil to the U.S. This is about a perceived threat to the U.S and other nations in the area including Isreal. Iraq has invaded Iran and Kuwait in recent years so it is clear they are an agressive expansionist regime..

pala on 2/13/03 at 08:53 (109012)

of course we will, if 'we' means big oil companies.and if send means sell. me? cynical? i'd go stick my head in the sand, but i'm afraid i'll strike oil .