Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Carole

Posted by Kathy G on 2/11/03 at 08:46 (108788)

Carole,

The ball sounds like so much fun! My husband would like to go to Mardi Gras some day. I'm a bit hesitant as I have a hard time with large crowds. It's never prevented me from doing anything, however, so maybe it's something we can look forward to when he retires. That it, if we have enough money when he retires. If the stock market doesn't rebound after the war, which appears inevitable, many of us with 401K retirement plans will be working until we're 85. Not that I work, but I would if I could.

When is the ball? Will you wear a gown? Will you wear a mask? I'm so glad you'll be seeing Frank again!

Don't get discouraged about the weight. You'll lose it slowly but surely if you go back on Weightwatchers.

About walking from the car to the ball, do you have a temporary (or permanent) walking disability placard? Or at least that's what we have in our state. If you could get one from your doctor, prior to the ball, it would allow you to park in a handicapped parking space. Although with the crowds I see at Mardi Gras, I don't know as there will be too many of those available.

I have a permanent placard and on the good days, of which there don't seem to be many of late, if I want to go to the mall or run a great many errands, I use it because it's the cumulative effect of walking that causes the problem, as we all know. If I'm just going to just one place, I'll park in a normal spot but not as far away as possible as I used to in pre-PF days. But if I'm doing a lot that day, even if my feet aren't yet hurting, I use the handicapped parking spaces as I know that my feet will hurt before the day is over.

Keep us posted on the ball. New Orleans sounds like such a neat place to live!

Re: To Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 2/11/03 at 09:42 (108792)

Kathy, I know what you mean about the interest rates. The main part of my govt retirement plan is my 401K, and I have no idea what the interest rates will be by the time I hit retirement age. I just hope they are over 3% at least. Otherwise I will be working forever.

The Mardi Gras ball that Frank invited me to, is on March 3rd... the evening of the day before Mardi Gras which is called Lundi Gras. Although he asked me some time ago, I just found out last weekend that he definitely has the tickets. So now, I can think about what to wear and probably go buy something. I have one gown that might be ok, but if I can find another that is nicer for a reasonable price I will. He will be wearing a tuxedo. I don't have a mask but maybe I should get one, depending on what people do these days. I really haven't researched this much yet! Guess I had better do that.

I definitely feel down about having gained weight. I need to call and find out if we had enough people for Weight Watchers At Work, because if we didn't then I need to sign up for regular Weight Watchers.

I do have a handicapped hangtag. But, I don't know if it will do me any good. During Mardi Gras there are whole sections of the city that are closed off to vehicular traffic. Maybe they let cars with handicapped hangtags through, or maybe not. It will probably be even worse than usual (if that's imaginable) because of the terrorist condition orange. At any rate I haven't even seen the maps of what will be closed when, yet (if they are available). Mardi Gras is mass pandemonium, with hundreds of thousands of people swarming through the streets downtown like crazed lemmings. It should be an amazing experience (once).

I will definitely keep you all posted! This will be quite a Big Deal. :)

Even more, I'm looking forward to seeing Frank again! He's a lot of fun to be with.

Carole C

Re: To Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 2/11/03 at 09:42 (108792)

Kathy, I know what you mean about the interest rates. The main part of my govt retirement plan is my 401K, and I have no idea what the interest rates will be by the time I hit retirement age. I just hope they are over 3% at least. Otherwise I will be working forever.

The Mardi Gras ball that Frank invited me to, is on March 3rd... the evening of the day before Mardi Gras which is called Lundi Gras. Although he asked me some time ago, I just found out last weekend that he definitely has the tickets. So now, I can think about what to wear and probably go buy something. I have one gown that might be ok, but if I can find another that is nicer for a reasonable price I will. He will be wearing a tuxedo. I don't have a mask but maybe I should get one, depending on what people do these days. I really haven't researched this much yet! Guess I had better do that.

I definitely feel down about having gained weight. I need to call and find out if we had enough people for Weight Watchers At Work, because if we didn't then I need to sign up for regular Weight Watchers.

I do have a handicapped hangtag. But, I don't know if it will do me any good. During Mardi Gras there are whole sections of the city that are closed off to vehicular traffic. Maybe they let cars with handicapped hangtags through, or maybe not. It will probably be even worse than usual (if that's imaginable) because of the terrorist condition orange. At any rate I haven't even seen the maps of what will be closed when, yet (if they are available). Mardi Gras is mass pandemonium, with hundreds of thousands of people swarming through the streets downtown like crazed lemmings. It should be an amazing experience (once).

I will definitely keep you all posted! This will be quite a Big Deal. :)

Even more, I'm looking forward to seeing Frank again! He's a lot of fun to be with.

Carole C