Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just grousing

Posted by Lara T on 2/11/03 at 14:59 (108825)

I've said several times that lots of good medical people aren't famliar with tarsal tunnel syndrome - it's not widely recognized yet. Confirmation of this a few years ago was I went to the local medical school book store and went to the orthopedic section, found a text on ankles/feet. I looked up Tarsal Tunnel in the index and there was either a column-and a half, or a page and a half. The book was about 9x12 or 10x15, and probably 2-3 inches thick. I assumed things had gotten better in the last 2-3 years. When I first was diagnosed and did a web search I found very little. A couple years later there was MUCH more.

Well, I'm taking medical terminology this semester, and was looking up some words in my Medical Dictionary (a standard, widely used one - Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary). I ran across 'carpal tunnel syndrome' and thought 'gee, why don't I see what they say about 'tarsal tunnel syndrome'.

Well, and here comes my indignation - there was no entry to Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome! or even tarsal tunnel. There's tarsal, tarsal bone, tarsale, and then lots of suffixes for various conditions related to the tarsal bone or muscle. Carpal tunnel syndrome on the other hand has about 12 inches of information.

Arrgggghhhhh

Re: Oops - wrong board Re: Just grousing

Lara T on 2/11/03 at 14:59 (108826)

Sorry, meant to post this on the TTS board

Re: Opps, wrong again Re: Oops - wrong board Re: Just grousing

Lara T on 2/11/03 at 15:01 (108828)

Now I'm really confused. I thought I saw that my last post was on the PF board. I'm confused. Just ignore me today. NOthing of any help to anyone in this post anyway.

Sharon W on 2/11/03 at 16:45 (108835)

Actually, I think you made a very good point. It's HARD to find information about TTS; in fact, this board is probably the best source of info around...

Sharon

Re: Oops - wrong board Re: Just grousing

Lara T on 2/11/03 at 14:59 (108826)

Sorry, meant to post this on the TTS board

Lara T on 2/11/03 at 15:01 (108828)

Now I'm really confused. I thought I saw that my last post was on the PF board. I'm confused. Just ignore me today. NOthing of any help to anyone in this post anyway.

Sharon W on 2/11/03 at 16:45 (108835)

Actually, I think you made a very good point. It's HARD to find information about TTS; in fact, this board is probably the best source of info around...

Sharon