Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

golf

Posted by albert m on 2/11/03 at 16:03 (108830)

I'M AN AVID GOLFER W/ A 5 HCP. WE HAVE A TRIP TO SCOTLAND, WHERE WALKING IS REQUIRED, SCHEDULED FOR 6/12- 6/24. WE TYPICALLY WALK 36 HOLES/DAY. I DEVELOPED PLANTAR FASCIITIS OVER 30 AGO W/ PAIN IN MY RT HEEL. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO INSURE RECOVERY BEFORE THE TRIP? I DON'T WANT TO QUIT GOLF OR OTHER EXERCISE BECAUSE YOU NEED TO BE IN CONDITION FOR THIS TYPE OF TRIP. SHOULD I CANCEL?

Re: golf

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/11/03 at 16:42 (108834)

Albert:
You have 4 months to get rid of the problem. The key to success involves the application of several conservative modalities in combination to obtain the optimal effect. See Scott's Heel Pain Book in order to understand the nature of those modalities, then see a professional to prescribe an optimal combination of treatments.

One thing to consider is that if you you have had the problem for a long time tissue quality may be adversely affected. ESWT now exists to help with that. The important thing is to get started soon.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 2/12/03 at 08:07 (108911)

A good soft, but supportive orthosis could help. I see many golfers as well as pros and have never had a problem.
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/11/03 at 16:42 (108834)

Albert:
You have 4 months to get rid of the problem. The key to success involves the application of several conservative modalities in combination to obtain the optimal effect. See Scott's Heel Pain Book in order to understand the nature of those modalities, then see a professional to prescribe an optimal combination of treatments.

One thing to consider is that if you you have had the problem for a long time tissue quality may be adversely affected. ESWT now exists to help with that. The important thing is to get started soon.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 2/12/03 at 08:07 (108911)

A good soft, but supportive orthosis could help. I see many golfers as well as pros and have never had a problem.
Richard