Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spurs

Posted by Chris D on 2/11/03 at 21:16 (108890)

I heard that a heel spur will go away in time. I started researching this, all that I have found is that the pain will go away. What I want to know is will the 'bony' calcium buildup leave after a period of time, or am I just stuck with it? I have been taking care of my feet for over six years, stretching the calves when needed. The podiatrist that I initially visited did show me these techniques, gave me an arch support, and advised that I quit running. I haven't as much as played a basketball game since that time......I miss them. Will there ever be a time when I can jog again due to the bony growth leaving?

Re: Heel spurs

Dr. Z on 2/12/03 at 07:11 (108905)

A heel spur is a bone calcification built up at the inserion of the plantar fascia. It is in response to stress or micro-tearing of this major supporting structure. When the plantar fascia attachment heals the pain will go away. It is your body's mechanism to place this bone spur down in attempt to heel the area. Even though it is called a bone spur it isn't a sharp piece of bone sticking into any nerves . I have seen thousands of heel spurs on x-ray that have no pain assoicated with it. Your problem is the plantar fascia injury or inflamation

Julie on 2/12/03 at 08:48 (108915)

Chris, as Dr Z has said, your problem is plantar fasciitis, not the spur, and if you have been dealing with it for six years only with stretching and arch supports, it sounds as though you haven't really come to grips with it. Please read the heel pain book on this website to inform yourself about the condition and about conservative treatments for it., and consult another podiatrist, one who will examine you, evaluate your gait to identify any abnormality in your biomechanics, and prescribe and work with you on a comprehensive healing programme. PF CAN heal, but the longer it goes on the longer it may take to heal, so be patient.

You should also investigate ESWT - plenty of information on this site.

Dr. Z on 2/12/03 at 07:11 (108905)

A heel spur is a bone calcification built up at the inserion of the plantar fascia. It is in response to stress or micro-tearing of this major supporting structure. When the plantar fascia attachment heals the pain will go away. It is your body's mechanism to place this bone spur down in attempt to heel the area. Even though it is called a bone spur it isn't a sharp piece of bone sticking into any nerves . I have seen thousands of heel spurs on x-ray that have no pain assoicated with it. Your problem is the plantar fascia injury or inflamation

Julie on 2/12/03 at 08:48 (108915)

Chris, as Dr Z has said, your problem is plantar fasciitis, not the spur, and if you have been dealing with it for six years only with stretching and arch supports, it sounds as though you haven't really come to grips with it. Please read the heel pain book on this website to inform yourself about the condition and about conservative treatments for it., and consult another podiatrist, one who will examine you, evaluate your gait to identify any abnormality in your biomechanics, and prescribe and work with you on a comprehensive healing programme. PF CAN heal, but the longer it goes on the longer it may take to heal, so be patient.

You should also investigate ESWT - plenty of information on this site.