Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping Alternative?

Posted by scassil on 2/12/03 at 12:25 (108924)

Taping my feet using Scott's diagrams is definitely helping my foot heal. But, sticking tape on the bottom of my feet is a hassle. Have any of you veterans or anyone else heard of any alternative methods?

Seems like a cloth support or some other 'device' you could wear on your feet under your socks and shoes to accomplish the same purpose would be nice to have.

Just wishful thinking on my part?

Re: Taping Alternative?

Leon S. on 2/12/03 at 18:39 (108959)

How about velcro strips across the heel and toe and just replace the connecting pieces on a daily basis?

IanJ on 2/13/03 at 01:35 (108981)

I switched from tape to Powersteps then Superfeet but with NO socks. The NO SOCKS is important. Try it.

Leon S. on 2/12/03 at 18:39 (108959)

How about velcro strips across the heel and toe and just replace the connecting pieces on a daily basis?

IanJ on 2/13/03 at 01:35 (108981)

I switched from tape to Powersteps then Superfeet but with NO socks. The NO SOCKS is important. Try it.

D.Thomas on 2/13/03 at 10:20 (109030)

Some other people here use a special tape that helps alot according to them. I don't remember the name of it. You might search back over the posts. The best taping I had was a low-dye technique with a cambell strap that one of my doctors did weekly. It would usually last about 5 days, but I don't think a person could do it by alone.

Julie on 2/13/03 at 16:36 (109082)

Scassil, what exactly is the problem? Perhaps someone can help. What tape/what technique are you using and why is it a hassle? Is the hassle putting it on or taking it off? And if it's helping, why look for an alternative?

The tape D Thomas mentioned above is Leuko tape. An excellent tape that holds its tension and is very effective.

scassil on 2/13/03 at 21:27 (109112)

No major problem, just the hassle of putting it on in the morning, adjusting tension at noon, doing the same in the evening, etc. I'm using the 3 pieces of tape that Scott has a picture of.

It is working, helping my foot to heal, it just seems to me that there might be a different way to accomplish what the tape is doing.

Where can you purchase the Leuko tape? I went to Walgreens tonight, didn't see it.

Julie on 2/14/03 at 03:47 (109118)

John H has several times posted a link to a site where Leuko tape can be bought on line. If you use the search facility you should be able to turn it up. I found that it held its tension all through the day, whatever I was doing, and that ultimately included long days of hill walking (after my PF had more or less healed). If you get it, you should be able to eliminate the midday and evening adjustment-hassles.

Keep taping! It's a godsend, and I seriously doubt there is anything to replace it. Except, of course, properly casted and constructed custom orthotics, which are sufficient for most people, although my experience was that orthotics plus tape was necessary and helpful. Do you have orthotics?

D.Thomas on 2/14/03 at 09:28 (109132)

Hmm..I tried the site that John mentions and keep getting errors saying that it doesn't exist. Maybe you have to call?

'The tape is not easy to find in drugstores. Sports clinics use it a lot.You can call 1-800-523-0914 and ask for Leuko sports tape 1 1/2', 15 yd roll, item #D-BE76168. Also go to http://www.rehabshopper.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi' And I typed in 'leuko tape'.

D.Thomas on 2/14/03 at 09:31 (109133)

The number is actually 1-800-523-0912

john h on 2/14/03 at 11:15 (109141)

The web URL where you can order Leuko tape is http://www.ptcatalog.com
you can sign up for free and just use there search button to find the Leuko Tape. I just received three rolls this week.

john h on 2/14/03 at 11:18 (109142)

Julie turned me on to Leuko tape and I really cannot imagine a better tape. There is no comparison with this tape and regular medical tape.

scassil on 2/14/03 at 11:34 (109145)

I don't have orthotics. I've been wearing Pedifix Arch Cradles in my shoes for a couple of years because of earlier problems with the balls of my feet. These have worked very well for me in resolving that problem, but evidently didn't keep the PF from occurring.

My podiatrist didn't recommend orthotics. I've been to him twice in the last month. Don't know why? I want to try the PowerStep as Ian recommended.

I have the type of body (as I think many of those that post here do) that is very susceptible to repetitive stress injuries. I'm a software engineer, 46 years old, type on a keyboard all day, have carpal tunnel in both wrists, but keep it under control most of the time. Have chronic back pain, other ailments also, but all seem to be related to my body type. That's my theory, anyway. I've managed to stay active, up until my PF started (about 2 months ago) I worked out every other day for the last 10 years, hit golf balls every weekend in the summer.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I will try to locate the tape.

D.Thomas on 2/14/03 at 14:29 (109176)

I decided to try it finally. I just ordered some today and it should arrive next week.

D.Thomas on 2/14/03 at 14:35 (109178)

Scassil,

I did forget to mention something. I have also tried the velcro straps like:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/ProductPg.jsp?baseProdKey=RRPRO-004&catOID=-8951&BV_SessionID=@@@@1596249565.1045254656@@@@&BV_EngineID=kadcggigfkkibekgcgecfeedg.0

I found that this type of product did not even come close to taking stress off the fascia as much as Scott's taping method or my doctor's low-dye w/campbell strap method. It is my personal opinion that they are not worth the money given what you can do with taping.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/15/03 at 10:32 (109244)

Scassil:
If the taping is helping, stick with it. A number of devices have come and gone. A fabric wrap called PSC (pronation spring control) attempted to recreate the effects of taping. It worked okay but often one must make 'wraps' too tight to keep them from slipping -- the advantage going to adhesive tape.
Ed