Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

it's time for surgery

Posted by Marty on 2/12/03 at 13:10 (108927)

I feel it's time to go have one foot released. The doc explained all the cons and what I need to do to give it the best chance for success. He's going to do a higher cut then normal due to damage so it's going to be tuff. The nerve heals at a rate of about 3/4 of an inch per month so I'm prepare for shooting pains and so forth for the next year. I was warned by him and of coarse all of you that the next year is going to tuff, I feel I'm ready but only time will tell. Told me what my life will be like if it's not successful and what the options were at that point.

I go in next Wednesday and at this time I'm in the planning stage to make it through the next few weeks and months. I have read the posts in the surgery board so I have a good idea what others have done and not done.

Wish me luck and say a prayer for me.

Marty

Re: it's time for surgery

SteveG on 2/12/03 at 13:22 (108929)

Best of luck to you, Marty. It sounds like he does have a good idea of where the problem is originating. Take it easy and be very diligent and careful during the postop phase.

Sharon W on 2/12/03 at 14:06 (108933)

Will do, Marty.

I think you do already know what you're in for with this surgery and you're going into it with your eyes wide open. You've had foot pain for 7 years, and other treatments haven't worked for you. You've collected all the information you could (even though some of the info you got has been conflicting and confusing), and now you've made an informed decision. I hope it's not a decison that you will someday regret -- but, one of the things you already know is that there are no guarantees!

So, I wish you the best of luck, the best of surgeon's skill, and speedy healing with no complications at all.

Sharon

lauriel on 2/12/03 at 14:13 (108935)

As steve said take it easy and do be careful and listen to your Doc and PT when you have it. I have just started my 2nd month of PT after surgery, Well Monday, I told my PT that my range of motion was still lacking quite a bit on one area. but others had improved great. He said he had held off on stretching that area because he did not want to cause injury as this is the sensitive area to stretch but he showed me a stretch to start using. Yesterday I decided to do it differently and and I am paying for it now. The area swelled up to the size of a baseball and immediately stiffened up and my foot got a tingling sensation. I iced several times yesterday and elevated it and got the swelling down, but today the areas I had the great improvement on are now every tight! almost where I was a month ago. I am going to get chewed out big time today when I see him.

Just know not to push yourself and good luck!
Laurie

Re: that a bummer get better soon

Marty on 2/12/03 at 20:00 (108964)

Man that a bummer about your over aggressive stretching, I hope you get better soon and get your old life back. For me that's going to be a while but I'm ready for the battle.

Marty

Re: thanks Sharon

Marty on 2/12/03 at 20:33 (108965)

Sharon,

I want to express my sincere appreciation to you for being there when things were spinning out of control for me. I have been going to doctors every week since the first week in January in search of the right direction. 2 pods, 2 neuro's and an ortho, it took a bit to find this guy but after my 2 hour visit with him and the detail and depth that he went to including the cons' I'm going to go with him. He even called the neuro where I got my ncv while I was there. Probably knows more about PN in the feet then the 2 neuro's if seen. I feel this is right so once again thanks for being there and giving me support and information.

Best Wishes,

Marty

Ps. Time is on your side with your recent pains ... hang in there the pain will fade in time and all the good memories will make you smile. I hope your hand is doing better.

BrianG on 2/12/03 at 21:43 (108969)

Hi Marty,

I'm just wondering if you have talked with your doctor about pain control, after the surgery? It seems many doctors don't want to deal with this issue. They feel they have done their part when you leave the hospital.

If it was me, I would talk to him about pain control Before the surgery. What will you do if he 'thinks' you won't need any. After all, 'none of his other patients needed anything stronger than an asprin'!!! It can happen, and it does hapen more times than you would believe. Your primary doc may be able to help you out, if the surgeon refuses to. Then again, you might have a very hgh tollerance to pain, and only need a couple asprins.

Good luck
BrianG

Re: meds

Marty on 2/12/03 at 22:18 (108971)

Oh believe me I talked about it in great depth and I'm going to get what ever I want. Talked about patches, pumps, pills the whole works.

Thanks,

Marty

carynz on 2/12/03 at 23:54 (108976)

heh marty

okay you with the ft and me wiyh the shoulder maybe we should meet 1/2 way and join at the hip!! hope all goes aokay let us know.

cheers caryn

SteveG on 2/12/03 at 13:22 (108929)

Best of luck to you, Marty. It sounds like he does have a good idea of where the problem is originating. Take it easy and be very diligent and careful during the postop phase.

Sharon W on 2/12/03 at 14:06 (108933)

Will do, Marty.

I think you do already know what you're in for with this surgery and you're going into it with your eyes wide open. You've had foot pain for 7 years, and other treatments haven't worked for you. You've collected all the information you could (even though some of the info you got has been conflicting and confusing), and now you've made an informed decision. I hope it's not a decison that you will someday regret -- but, one of the things you already know is that there are no guarantees!

So, I wish you the best of luck, the best of surgeon's skill, and speedy healing with no complications at all.

Sharon

lauriel on 2/12/03 at 14:13 (108935)

As steve said take it easy and do be careful and listen to your Doc and PT when you have it. I have just started my 2nd month of PT after surgery, Well Monday, I told my PT that my range of motion was still lacking quite a bit on one area. but others had improved great. He said he had held off on stretching that area because he did not want to cause injury as this is the sensitive area to stretch but he showed me a stretch to start using. Yesterday I decided to do it differently and and I am paying for it now. The area swelled up to the size of a baseball and immediately stiffened up and my foot got a tingling sensation. I iced several times yesterday and elevated it and got the swelling down, but today the areas I had the great improvement on are now every tight! almost where I was a month ago. I am going to get chewed out big time today when I see him.

Just know not to push yourself and good luck!
Laurie

Marty on 2/12/03 at 20:00 (108964)

Man that a bummer about your over aggressive stretching, I hope you get better soon and get your old life back. For me that's going to be a while but I'm ready for the battle.

Marty

Re: thanks Sharon

Marty on 2/12/03 at 20:33 (108965)

Sharon,

I want to express my sincere appreciation to you for being there when things were spinning out of control for me. I have been going to doctors every week since the first week in January in search of the right direction. 2 pods, 2 neuro's and an ortho, it took a bit to find this guy but after my 2 hour visit with him and the detail and depth that he went to including the cons' I'm going to go with him. He even called the neuro where I got my ncv while I was there. Probably knows more about PN in the feet then the 2 neuro's if seen. I feel this is right so once again thanks for being there and giving me support and information.

Best Wishes,

Marty

Ps. Time is on your side with your recent pains ... hang in there the pain will fade in time and all the good memories will make you smile. I hope your hand is doing better.

BrianG on 2/12/03 at 21:43 (108969)

Hi Marty,

I'm just wondering if you have talked with your doctor about pain control, after the surgery? It seems many doctors don't want to deal with this issue. They feel they have done their part when you leave the hospital.

If it was me, I would talk to him about pain control Before the surgery. What will you do if he 'thinks' you won't need any. After all, 'none of his other patients needed anything stronger than an asprin'!!! It can happen, and it does hapen more times than you would believe. Your primary doc may be able to help you out, if the surgeon refuses to. Then again, you might have a very hgh tollerance to pain, and only need a couple asprins.

Good luck
BrianG

Marty on 2/12/03 at 22:18 (108971)

Oh believe me I talked about it in great depth and I'm going to get what ever I want. Talked about patches, pumps, pills the whole works.

Thanks,

Marty

carynz on 2/12/03 at 23:54 (108976)

heh marty

okay you with the ft and me wiyh the shoulder maybe we should meet 1/2 way and join at the hip!! hope all goes aokay let us know.

cheers caryn

Re: Glad to hear it

Sharon W on 2/13/03 at 08:06 (109001)

Marty,

Sounds like you really found a good pod! I love it, that he spent 2 hours with you, explaining everything and answering questions... even talking to your neurologist himself!! And it sounds like he was probably HONEST with you, too... that's something I look for, in ANY doctor.

Sharon

lauriel on 2/13/03 at 12:40 (109064)

Good for you, I was lucky, The Dr prescribed me Vicodin, but I did not need to take it, but I had it if I needed it. As a matter if fact, My friend who is a an OR nurse told me to take it before the other meds wore off, because it would be much harder to control the pain after it started than before, so I was very tempted to take it but didnt. I think you should take them as prescribed since I think what they are going to do is a lot more complicated than what I had done. When is your surgery scheduled?
Laurie

Marty on 2/13/03 at 13:15 (109070)

Lauriel

Thanks for advice on meds. I do know I'm in for a ride since I have to get both a high release along with the normal one. This really make me a bit unsure just how bad it's going to get. I also have pf and we talked about having that done too but he told me he can get me in for eswt later so I think I made the right decision there.

I was really excited to here that he knew of a machine here in Utah and that he could probably get me to use it. I have been asking if anyone knew of the procedure here in Utah to no avail. I just about jumped right out of my chair bare foot and all when he started to explain the new procedure that was on the marker. I stayed as cool as a cut though, I looked at him and said calmly is it the dornier machine. You should of seen his face, he look at me and said how do you know about this?, I was glad to say: heelspurs.com ! He said he would check it out, the web site that is.

Anyway thanks,

Marty

marie e on 2/17/03 at 11:56 (109473)

Marty,

I will be thinking about you this wednesday. I wish you the best success with your surgery. Take care of yourself.

marie

Re: thanks marie

Marty on 2/17/03 at 12:44 (109481)

Thanks so much for your support when things were real tuff! You have been great marie.

Say a prayer for me I go in day after tomorrow.

Marty