Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery

Posted by lilly on 2/12/03 at 13:58 (108931)

Hi, for the surgery were the bunions are removed...hows recovery?..is it really bad and does it take long?..And what are the screws and needles? do they show?? n if they do show..are they eventually removed? Thanks

Re: Surgery

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/12/03 at 15:41 (108940)

There are many different bunion surgery procedures, some of which require screws, pins or wires. These are used to stabilize the bone and allow the bone to heal in the proper position. These are used when an 'osteotomy' is performed. An osteotomy is a surgical fracture and realignment of the bone to decrease the deformity. It sounds much worse than it is, and the majority of patients experience very little post op discomfort. If screws or hardware is used, the hardware can sometimes be felt through the skin, and is often left in the foot unless there is a problem, then it can be removed very simply. Most patients are back in a comfortable athletic type shoe in several weeks.

There are many procedures and each surgeon has his/her own post op regimen. Although there will certainly be people on this site that describe a terrible experience, I have found that after performing surgery for 18 years, the majority of patients experience very little post op discomfort and are very pleased with results.

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/12/03 at 15:41 (108940)

There are many different bunion surgery procedures, some of which require screws, pins or wires. These are used to stabilize the bone and allow the bone to heal in the proper position. These are used when an 'osteotomy' is performed. An osteotomy is a surgical fracture and realignment of the bone to decrease the deformity. It sounds much worse than it is, and the majority of patients experience very little post op discomfort. If screws or hardware is used, the hardware can sometimes be felt through the skin, and is often left in the foot unless there is a problem, then it can be removed very simply. Most patients are back in a comfortable athletic type shoe in several weeks.

There are many procedures and each surgeon has his/her own post op regimen. Although there will certainly be people on this site that describe a terrible experience, I have found that after performing surgery for 18 years, the majority of patients experience very little post op discomfort and are very pleased with results.

Mar on 2/13/03 at 11:01 (109038)

Hmmm -- wonder who that could be -- ok -- mum's the word Dr W ;-) Mar

Dr. Z on 2/14/03 at 08:13 (109127)

I am willing to bet I know!!

Mar on 2/14/03 at 12:21 (109154)

Yes, I have always thought that you were a 'wise' guy!! ;-) Mar