Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

banks

Posted by pala on 2/12/03 at 15:49 (108942)

on a totally different issue, this today , is the fifth bank interaction i've had in two weeks that were screwed up. anyone else noticing more banking mistakes than usual on the part of the banks? what the heck?

Re: banks

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/03 at 17:23 (108945)

How weird! I had a problem a few weeks ago where I wanted to move some money from checking to savings, and the bimbo moved the same amount in the other direction instead. But really that is all, and it was easily remedied the next day (when I saw the mistake online).

They did do one silly thing today, though it wasn't really a problem for me. At my bank they try to add a personal touch, so a few years back they assigned me a 'personal banker' that works there. Today my 'personal banker' called me and asked if I was interested in refinancing my house. I told him no, that I just bought it last fall. Then he asked me if I had any big purchases coming up, or would be interested in a line of credit. I told him no, that I don't plan to be needing any extra money. He finally ended up commenting on my occupation and asking me what I really DO at work. I told him, he thanked me, and couldn't think of anything else to say! I thought the whole conversation was pretty hilarious. LOL

I'd be pretty steamed if my bank made any serious mistakes, like miscalculating my balance or short-changing me. What kind of banking mistakes are you experiencing?

Carole C

pala on 2/12/03 at 17:45 (108949)

i tried to wire money from one bank to another. at the other bank they were giving me a better interest rate if i got it to them with a certain time period. the first bank gave me the wrong wiring instructions twice. finally a supervisor, handled it and just before he completed the wire he said he was going to lunch. i had to call again, wait on hold, get another supervisor explain the whole thing again and it was done. just in the nick of time! my dinner is ready, tell you the mess up on the other end later.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/03 at 17:55 (108951)

Wow! What a hassle. It is so aggravating when people don't care enough to give you the right instructions, or to complete a transaction before going to lunch, or whatever. In this time when so many good people can't find work, I'm amazed that people like that can keep their jobs.

I can't imagine how the other end could have possibly messed up. This should be interesting.

Carole C

Leon S. on 2/12/03 at 18:28 (108956)

In that same line, my brother and I were the beneficiaries of some securities my father left us before he died. We called the bank (First Union) in order to sell them, spoke to some associate who said he would take care of it after lunch. Ten days later, we found out that nothing was done and when the sale was completed, we lost over $7000 in value. The bank claimed that it was handled in a 'timely manner.' They refused to respond to any other questions so we ultimately took them to arbitration. They even refused to respond to that and as a result we won the arbitration and surprisingly, the bank couldn't wait to pay us.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/03 at 19:41 (108961)

LOL!!! Good work, Leon. I love it when the person who is right triumphs. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/12/03 at 21:09 (108966)

Agreed! As I often say to my father after a run-in with a financial institution, 'Remind me again why this is better than keeping it all in my mattress???'

Re: Keeping tabs on your money

Necee on 2/13/03 at 01:29 (108979)

I've had several encounters with Banks.
I always reconcile my check book with the bank statement, and I've found many mistakes where they wouldn't make the correct deposit amount into my account, it amazes me how it's always in their favor!

Another consumer alert......
when going through the checkout line, always watch the cashier, make sure that things don't get scaned twice. I've had that happen to me more times than I can remember! I always pay close attention to the prices and the scan, you'd be amazed at how many times they make mistakes. I bought some produce one time, and the girl entered the wrong code number for squash, she entered some code for mushrooms and the price rang up $14.00, I didn't buy mushrooms! I don't even like mushrooms!

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/03 at 17:23 (108945)

How weird! I had a problem a few weeks ago where I wanted to move some money from checking to savings, and the bimbo moved the same amount in the other direction instead. But really that is all, and it was easily remedied the next day (when I saw the mistake online).

They did do one silly thing today, though it wasn't really a problem for me. At my bank they try to add a personal touch, so a few years back they assigned me a 'personal banker' that works there. Today my 'personal banker' called me and asked if I was interested in refinancing my house. I told him no, that I just bought it last fall. Then he asked me if I had any big purchases coming up, or would be interested in a line of credit. I told him no, that I don't plan to be needing any extra money. He finally ended up commenting on my occupation and asking me what I really DO at work. I told him, he thanked me, and couldn't think of anything else to say! I thought the whole conversation was pretty hilarious. LOL

I'd be pretty steamed if my bank made any serious mistakes, like miscalculating my balance or short-changing me. What kind of banking mistakes are you experiencing?

Carole C

pala on 2/12/03 at 17:45 (108949)

i tried to wire money from one bank to another. at the other bank they were giving me a better interest rate if i got it to them with a certain time period. the first bank gave me the wrong wiring instructions twice. finally a supervisor, handled it and just before he completed the wire he said he was going to lunch. i had to call again, wait on hold, get another supervisor explain the whole thing again and it was done. just in the nick of time! my dinner is ready, tell you the mess up on the other end later.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/03 at 17:55 (108951)

Wow! What a hassle. It is so aggravating when people don't care enough to give you the right instructions, or to complete a transaction before going to lunch, or whatever. In this time when so many good people can't find work, I'm amazed that people like that can keep their jobs.

I can't imagine how the other end could have possibly messed up. This should be interesting.

Carole C

Leon S. on 2/12/03 at 18:28 (108956)

In that same line, my brother and I were the beneficiaries of some securities my father left us before he died. We called the bank (First Union) in order to sell them, spoke to some associate who said he would take care of it after lunch. Ten days later, we found out that nothing was done and when the sale was completed, we lost over $7000 in value. The bank claimed that it was handled in a 'timely manner.' They refused to respond to any other questions so we ultimately took them to arbitration. They even refused to respond to that and as a result we won the arbitration and surprisingly, the bank couldn't wait to pay us.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/03 at 19:41 (108961)

LOL!!! Good work, Leon. I love it when the person who is right triumphs. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/12/03 at 21:09 (108966)

Agreed! As I often say to my father after a run-in with a financial institution, 'Remind me again why this is better than keeping it all in my mattress???'

Necee on 2/13/03 at 01:29 (108979)

I've had several encounters with Banks.
I always reconcile my check book with the bank statement, and I've found many mistakes where they wouldn't make the correct deposit amount into my account, it amazes me how it's always in their favor!

Another consumer alert......
when going through the checkout line, always watch the cashier, make sure that things don't get scaned twice. I've had that happen to me more times than I can remember! I always pay close attention to the prices and the scan, you'd be amazed at how many times they make mistakes. I bought some produce one time, and the girl entered the wrong code number for squash, she entered some code for mushrooms and the price rang up $14.00, I didn't buy mushrooms! I don't even like mushrooms!

Happy trails...

Necee

pala on 2/13/03 at 07:44 (108998)

i'm impressed leon, thatt's great that you did that and won!

pala on 2/13/03 at 10:08 (109024)

leon you inspired me to call the fdic and see what my rights are and any consumer info that may be helpful to me.

Leon S. on 2/13/03 at 16:58 (109085)

Pala, the thing that helped us the most in winning the case is the fact that my brother was very annal in keeping detailed notes of every phone call and conversation he made (unfortunately, the only note he didn't get was the guy's name who dropped the ball to begin with). That way, when we proceeded with the arbitration, he had a detailed time line of every contact that we made. Good luck with your inquiry.

Leon S. on 2/13/03 at 17:03 (109086)

My 93 yr old mother-in-law who can barely walk, hardly hear and can only read large print books, goes to the supermarker with my wife, nails the cashiers every time. She does't miss a thing.

pala on 2/13/03 at 18:27 (109098)

my inquiry with the regulators of the banks ended when the regulator said tough luck, go away.