Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Personal Foot Trainer

Posted by Mar on 2/12/03 at 17:31 (108946)

To anyone who has used the Personal Foot Trainer --

1) Is it effective for PF even if i do not have first step morning pain?
2) Must it be used barefoot?
3) I have ball of foot pain in both feet -- will this device put extra pressure on the ball of the foot?

Thanks for any input before i purchase this -- Mar

Re: Personal Foot Trainer

Dr. Z on 2/12/03 at 23:45 (108975)

I would speak with mike wilmont. Go to his web site. He is very helpful.
There is alot of information abou this device in the search engines

Mar on 2/13/03 at 05:32 (108991)

Yes, I couldn't find any email address on his website, but did find it in a search here -- thanks -- Mar

Dr. Z on 2/12/03 at 23:45 (108975)

I would speak with mike wilmont. Go to his web site. He is very helpful.
There is alot of information abou this device in the search engines

Mar on 2/13/03 at 05:32 (108991)

Yes, I couldn't find any email address on his website, but did find it in a search here -- thanks -- Mar

Mike W on 2/13/03 at 10:44 (109034)

Hello Mar,

The old model was called the Personal Foot Trainer and now it is known as the Foot Trainer.

1. Yes the exercises are effective even if you do not have first step pain however we recommend performing them before the first step and then again some time during the day.

2. No you can wear a sock if you wish.

3. No because we are targeting the opposite muscles on the top of your foot. For PF the rubber pads are always on the top of your foot. Why? Because the muscles on the bottom are short and tight so it is not appropriate to perform exercises that promote shortening and tightening them. Instead if you strenghten the opposing weak opposing muscle you will automatically relax the tight muscles which over time will help reduce the pain.

My email address is at the bottom of my home page.

Regards,

Mike W

Re: Our Guarantee

Mike W on 2/13/03 at 10:54 (109035)

Hello Mar,

I forgot to mention that we offer a 30 day unconditional purchase price guarantee.

We offer this because our customers usually get results.

Regards,

Mike W

Mar on 2/13/03 at 11:04 (109040)

Thanks Mike -- Can shoes be worn to use this and how much pressure is put on the ball of the feet? Any extra weight or pressure there causes pain and inflammation. Mar

JenL on 2/13/03 at 12:44 (109065)

Hi Mike,
I have questions about your answer to 3rd Q. A lot of people on the board find doing non weight bearing stretching like Julie's Yogo exercise for foot heplful. But a part of it is to curl your toes downward in the way that you make a fist. But we should not do that according to your suggestion?
When I talked to my Chiropractic doc. the other day, I made a comment about the toes curling exercises they asked me to do, and he said muscle tightening and then relaxing in opposite way is very effective to cure back pain, and he is sure that foot muscle is different.
If we do the same kind of stretching as suggested with Foot Trainer but without using any tools, I guess you will not have any external presure put on the ball of foot?
Thanks for your input.

Mike W on 2/13/03 at 14:21 (109076)

Hello Mar,
Shoes can be worn for a couple of the exercises but not several that involve the toes, which are the ones that would probably be the most beneficial for you.

Please note that the point of contact with the Foot Trainer is ALWAYS on the top of your foot/toes so there is never any direct pressure on the bottom of your foot where you have pain.

The exercises are also meant to be performed in a gentle manner and you have complete control over the amount of resistance.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Mike W

Re: Foot Trainer

Mike W on 2/13/03 at 14:44 (109077)

Hello Jen,

I am not sure if Julie's Yoga exercise includes one where you flex your toes downward. I recall she recommends extending them upward towards your body.

I believe that any exercise that promotes shortening and tightening a muscle that is already short and tight is not correct. That is what happens when you flex them downward.

Just about every foot muscle works as a team. One flexes the toes/foot downward and the opposing muscle extends them back up. For example the big toe is controlled by 2 flexor muscles (Flexor Hallicus Longus and Flexor Hallicus Brevis) and two opposing extensor muscles (Extensor Hallicus Longus and Extensor Hallicus Brevis).

If you contract the extensor muscle you automatically RELAX the opposing Flexor muscle. This is exactly what anyone with PF should do.

If you go to my website and click Foot and Leg anatomy you will see some excellent pictures of all muscles of the foot. Perhaps you should make a copy and show your Chiro.

I do not think I understand your last question. There is never any pressure on the bottom of your foot with the Foot Trainer because the point of contact is always on the top of your foot.

If you extend your foot or toes towrds your body with no resistance you are doing more of a stretch than a contraction so you will not relax the extensor muscles as effectively.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike W

Mar on 2/13/03 at 17:59 (109093)

Thanks, Mike -- yes it does answer my questions! Mar