Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bilateral PF

Posted by Mar on 2/12/03 at 17:32 (108948)

I've been thinking -- is it curious that the PF started in both heels at the same exact moment or is that relatively normal??? Mar

Re: Bilateral PF

carmen h on 2/13/03 at 10:18 (109027)

happened with me within a week of each other.

Lara T on 2/14/03 at 22:19 (109196)

I have TTS, not PF, but the symptoms came on equally in both feet and are experienced perfectly bilaterally fpr several years now.

This is really curious because if I treat the right foot, I get relief in both feet, and if I treat only the left foot, I get no relief. This was discovered by accident, and I've continued to treat both feet the same since it's relatively easy and makes more sense that what the data proposes (whatever I do is both logical and illogical). I've asked some doctors about it. Some say it's cuz the body is bilateral so what hurts one side hurts the other side - I don't buy it - it isn't perfectly bilateral. The best answer was 'the body is a complicated computer'. My best guess is it has something to do with the way the body messages pain and/or possibly related to the same phenomenon that when athletes are in rehab and can't use both limbs, if they exercise with one limb, both limbs get stronger. I don't know if there is an explanation for it (probably is, but I don't know it).

Mar on 2/15/03 at 12:07 (109260)

I wonder if most who have bilateral PF or TTS got it at the same time in both feet or not. I wonder if there are any stats on this. I would think knowing this would help with figuring out exactly what is causing the PF and what needs to be done to get some healing going. I wonder if the docs have any thoughts on this. Mar

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/03 at 12:34 (109263)

Mar, until the doctors answer here's another data point for you.

My PF came on in one of my feet first. I've forgotten if it was the right or left foot, but very soon (somewhere between a week and a month, I think?) it progressed to both feet.

My doctor said (and I now agree) that the cause of my PF was riding a brand new exercise bike too enthusiastically, at the highest tension, and barefoot, with the seat way too far back.

Carole C

Mar on 2/15/03 at 13:55 (109280)

Yes, I guess whatever we did to bring it on, we kind of did it bilaterally, although some people only have PF in one foot even though they are runners or whatever. Hmm... Mar

Bev N on 2/15/03 at 14:46 (109286)

Mar, I started the pain in one foot and a short time later the other foot startd. I always spent money on the best shoes and bought new ones often, so I didn't think it was the shoes. Being a nurse, I was running the halls and on my feet 10 hours a day. The pain just continued to get worse over the next year even though I was seeing doctors, going to PT and doing what the doctors said, all except stopped working. I worked a year in this awful pain until I could not take it any longer.I stopped working in Nov. and been 'resting' since. Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/03 at 18:42 (109316)

Well, so did I at first... Does anyone have it in only one foot after 3 months or so?

Carole C

Mar on 2/16/03 at 08:31 (109359)

Bev -

Has the 'rest' helped at all? It doesn't seem to do much for me! Mar

Bev N on 2/16/03 at 09:15 (109363)

Mar, Yes I think it does help some. However I still need my Motrin 800 TID to get through the day. Some days are better than others. Do you think we will find a 'cure' for this or is it a chronic condition we will have? Carole and Julie and others were healed and I am jealous !! Bev

Julie on 2/16/03 at 10:02 (109367)

Bav, take heart. Most cases of plantar fasciitis do resolve. Just make sure you are getting the best possible care, and that you are fully informed as to the treatment options available.

john h on 2/16/03 at 11:19 (109379)

Mar: My Pf started in one foot. I was running every day and it was very hot. My foot was feeling very hot which I thought was the hot concrete. It would go away when I quit running so I continued to run. Eventually the hot foot developed into pain. After a couple of months both feet were in some pain and yes I continued to run. Not until the pain was really bad did I go to a Doctor and by now it was chronic. If I had access to this board at that time I think I would never have let it get out of control.

Bev N on 2/16/03 at 11:44 (109384)

Julie, Thanks for the encouragement. But how to get well when your doctors dismiss you and tell you there is no more they can do for you ? 2 pods and a neuro told me that. They do not believe in ESWT , they treat me as if it is all in my head instead of my feet and think I am a hypochondriac. I guess I will need to seek out another doctor in another area of Michiagn as these doctors have me discouraged. Thanks for listening. Bev

Julie on 2/16/03 at 11:54 (109388)

Bev, there is no excuse for a doctor to dismiss you and tell you there is no more they can do for you. It's definitely time to seek another doctor. Meanwhile inform yourself as fully as possible (through this website) about ESWT so you can educate the next doctor in case s/he also 'doesn't believe in it'.

You could also consider a journey to a doctor who is experienced in performing it. A number of people have done this.

Dr. Z on 2/16/03 at 12:06 (109391)

We have many patients travel to our Philadelphia office from your neck of the woods. ESWT is very effective in chronic plantar fasciitis. Just e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed) and I can have an ESWT packet sent to you . We will be very happy to see if ESWT is right for you

Lara T on 2/16/03 at 16:23 (109412)

Yea, I got told it was in my head too. And when I asked if a referral to a neurologist would be appropriate (having picked up that this sounded like nerve pain from my reading) he told me to quit reading so much and scaring myself. He referred me for more PT (on the basis it probably couldn't hurt, and I was a little stiff so might help, although probably not the source of my problem - which was my head) and told me to come back. I didn't go back.

Mar on 2/16/03 at 16:56 (109413)

Bev -

I have the same concerns as you do. There are days when I think that eventually I will get over this, how I don't know. But then there are other days when I think it will be forever. Let's hope that we will be cured -- hope is important. Mar

Bev N on 2/17/03 at 08:15 (109440)

Julie, Financially I do not see that I will be able to travel that far and have the ESWT done- Ins. will not cover it and it is a long trip and expensive to have done. I will have to wait and see how things go and some day I may HAVE to do it if I completly run out of other options. Thankyou for your help and advise, I read all of everyones posts and I really enjoy reading all about the PF and all your posts on the demonstrations and all that is going on, you sure are well informed and have really given us a lot to think about. Bev

Bev N on 2/17/03 at 08:20 (109441)

DO you know of any place closer than Philly where I can obtain ESWT ? That is a long way away. Is there any place in Michigan that you know of ? Thankyou for your help. Bev

Dr. Z on 2/17/03 at 08:28 (109443)

Take a look at the ESWT treatment sites on ESWT section of this board

Bev N on 2/17/03 at 10:49 (109460)

Thankyou very much. I found 3 in Michigan. Bev