Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recipies

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 2/13/03 at 09:48 (109021)

Ok...instead of going out and spending a small fortune on dinner for V-Day...I want to suprise my wife and cook dinner for her. I am looking for a simple healthy recipie. We both eat healthy, so anything I can use lean steak, hamburger or good old fashioned chicken.
Thanx guys!
Richard

Re: Recipies

Bev N on 2/13/03 at 09:54 (109023)

Richard, You are so--o-o sweet !!! Your wife is lucky you are thinking of treating her for valentines day, such a nice thing to do. Bev

Suzanne D on 2/13/03 at 10:26 (109031)

How nice! I would think that to be an even more special treat than going out to eat!

Here is a simple chicken recipe. If you like baked chicken and rice, I think you would like this:

Chicken Tremendous

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans of water
1 package of dry onion soup mix
1 cup of rice (not the Minute Rice but the slow-cooking kind)
chicken pieces (I use chicken breasts)

In a baking dish, pour both cans of soup and then 2 cans of water and mix. Stir in a package of dry onion soup mix and a coup of rice. Lay the chicken on top. Bake at 375 degrees for an hour and a half. (It helps to take the dish out a couple of times and stir the rice so it cooks evenly. But if you forget, just stir it well when it is finished baking.)

If you decide to use this recipe, I hope you like it! It came from my first principal's wife many years ago. It's easy, and everyone who has eaten it at my house likes it.

Suzanne :-)

pala on 2/13/03 at 10:43 (109033)

that sounds delicious. i'll try it. larry and i were born with an anti cooking curse placed upon us at birth. but this sounds easy enuf.

JudyS on 2/13/03 at 10:57 (109036)

Richard - there's nothing like a good steak grilled on the barby.....served on a small table in front of the fireplace with good wine, candles, chocolate......diamonds.... :)

Richard, C.Ped on 2/13/03 at 11:02 (109039)

That does sound easy Suzanne. maybe i can sneak out of here early tomorrow and have it done by the time she gets home.

Diamonds? She lost the last set of diamond earrings I gave her. I think I will pass on that...lol.
Richard

Necee on 2/13/03 at 11:47 (109054)

Richard, heres a helpful tip.......just remember to clean pot and pans as you cook, that way you won't be facing a messy kitchen afterwards!

Suzannes recipe sounds yummy, I've used that one many times myself.
If you like zuchinni squash then it's easy to fix. Just slice them longways and place in a pan with very little water, simmer slow until tender using about 4 tablespoons of butter, slice some onion and add with the squash, salt and pepper, cook until the squash and onions are tender, do not stir. When serving I always sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top.
A good salad would be great with Suzannes recipe. Buy only green leaf lettuce, (not iceberg), its much better for you. I wash my lettuce, then rinse good, add sliced hard boiled eggs, red onion slivers, tomatoes, shredded cheese, bacon bits (using real bacon). You can add just about whatever you like, sometimes I add fresh broccoli and cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces. Don't forget the dressing, and croutons.

For our first valentines together my hubby made me a sweet tater pie! He made me stay out of the kitchen, he bought the sweet potatoes, cooked them and made everything from scratch, it was the best tater pie I've ever had.
That was really something because he never cooks, and after 21 yrs of marriage he hasn't been in the kitchen since!

Good luck Richard, I know you'll do a great job, it's something that your wife will remember for a long time. Let us know what you prepare.

Happy Valentines and.....

Happy trails...

Necee

wendyn on 2/13/03 at 22:03 (109115)

Couple boneless skinless chicken breats....for sauce mix about a cup of salsa, about a tablespoon of brownsugar - and tabasco to taste. Pour onto chicken breasts. Bake at 350 for about half an hour.

Serve with a salad and over brown rice.

Re: I bet Richard is busy in the kitchen!!! Hey, what's that burning smell!!! (NM)

Necee on 2/14/03 at 07:58 (109125)

Happy Valentines day

Necee

Re: I bet Richard is busy in the kitchen!!! Hey, what's that burning smell!!! (NM)

JudyS on 2/14/03 at 12:39 (109157)

Richard - we expect a complete report by this time tomorrow....:) (Well, almost complete anyway...:) )

Richard, C.Ped on 2/15/03 at 08:46 (109214)

well...you are not going to believe this, but with all the prepping i did...she and the baby went to North Carolina yesterday for a friends wedding today. Needless to say, I spent last night watching CSI that I taped Thursday. I am going to make one chicken dinner tonight when she comes home, and another sometime next week.

Thanx for all the tips (and cracks about my cooking...lol)
Richard

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/03 at 08:58 (109217)

She will probably really appreciate not having to cook tonight after going on a long trip. It must have been pretty disappointing to have made all that preparation and then have this happen!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/15/03 at 09:22 (109225)

'The best laid plans...' :-)

Yes, she WILL appreciate your dinners, and I hope they turn out well!

Suzanne :-)