Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bring on the terrorists...

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 2/13/03 at 11:28 (109051)

Bring on the terrorists... I can breathe on them and they'll be sorry and repent for their evil deeds!! They'll feel horrible for ages.

I hate this virus. Just when I start feeling a little better then it just knocks me flat and I have to sleep for an hour. I first noticed it a week ago and it's worse now than it was then. Poor me!

I'm not going to see a doctor, though. I'm not THAT sick, just feeling crummy. The weather has finally turned absolutely beautiful now that I'm sick and stuck inside my house so that I can't really enjoy it.

Probably I would feel fine if I had just dutifully covered my doors and windows with duct tape and plastic like a good girl, rather than eternally questioning the dictates from on high. LOL

Carole C

Re: Bring on the terrorists...

pala on 2/13/03 at 11:37 (109052)

well i succembed. now theyre telling us to get a few days supply of water and we're gonna. i guess i'm a hysterical screaming idiot or whtever it was a previous poster admonished us not to be. it just seems like the only precaution we have any control over. duct tape was never an issue wether to buy it or not. since larry is a bama boy our house is standing because of duct tape and we have enuf left over to build another structure.

Necee on 2/13/03 at 11:52 (109055)

Carole, I sure hope you get to feeling better. I'm sorry to tell you but....the crummy weather is headed your way! We are expecting thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow, so get ready. Why is it that we have beautiful weather through the week and on weekends it's lousy. Oh well...

Take care, and drink lots of liquid. Let is know how your doing.

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 2/13/03 at 12:00 (109057)

I'm really sorry you're sick, Carole! I have had many sick children in my class, and - like you - some of them come back and then feel worse again. Sometimes they hold their stomachs and complain of hurting, and they look so pale.

I hope you get better soon!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/13/03 at 12:18 (109059)

Thanks, Necee. I'll do that. We are expecting the storms over the weekend too. I'll still be glad if I get over this soon, rain or shine. I have lots of things to drink and even some chicken soup, so between that and sleep I am hoping to recover in time to enjoy the weekend.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/13/03 at 12:20 (109060)

I need to replenish my hurricane kit before June anyway (when hurricane season begins). I'll need water and canned food for that. I would buy a roll of duct tape too, but not if it's overpriced. This is silly.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/13/03 at 12:24 (109061)

I know just how they felt, poor little things! They are braver than me if they are at school with this one. I came back to work on Tuesday morning and spent most of the morning with my forehead on my desk. By 10 AM I had no choice but to go home.

I'm doing fine at home, as long as I take frequent naps and do nothing. But tomorrow is my regular every-other-Friday-off, and I wanted to go antiquing. I hope I'm up to it but I might have to delay that a few days.

Carole C

Re: Antiquing

Necee on 2/13/03 at 12:50 (109066)

Oh Carole, can I go!? You know how I feel about antiques.
I'm going to an antique auction Saturday night, I've been hired to do the buying for a gal in Dallas who owns several shops, she pays good, and besides I get to be off my feet!!!

Take care, and get well soon.

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: Antiquing

Carole C in NOLA on 2/13/03 at 13:16 (109071)

Oh you lucky! That sounds like such fun. :)

I've been browsing through antiques online. I think I'm hooked! LOL I sure hope that I feel better tomorrow. It's easier to find parking down near my favorite antique stores on Friday than on Saturday.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/03 at 12:31 (109156)

I am feeling so much better today! Thanks to all of you for your good wishes. It's amazing what a LOT of sleep and chicken soup can do. This morning I got out and went to K-Mart, Office Max, and CompUSA. I really want to try going antiquing this afternoon, if I can find a parking spot down there.

Carole C

Mar on 2/14/03 at 12:42 (109158)

I say we figure out a way to give the terrorists bilateral PF -- that will stop them in their tracks!! Mar

Suzanne D on 2/14/03 at 19:21 (109191)

Can you imagine marching with PF?!

Glad you are better, Carole!

My feet have hurt since Wednesday - can't quite figure that out unless it is due to the very damp and rainy weather. Perhaps it is arthritis. It isn't really my arches or heels that hurt - my feet just feel extremely stiff and hurt all over!

Just when you think everything is under control and almost completely improved...!

Oh, well, I know it could be much worse.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/03 at 21:00 (109194)

That does sound like the weather, Suzanne. I know you are a sensible woman and will take extra good care of your feet until they feel better. It can't do any harm to do gentle stretching and other conservative treatments that have helped. I hope you are taking your anti-inflammatory; I think you said it was Naproxin, but whatever it is, it may help. Heat or cold (or both) might be worth trying, or maybe massaging your feet with some lotion so that they can relax and become less stiff.

Let us know how you are doing, and whether it is getting better or worse. I sure hope your feet feel better soon. You have had enough aching feet for one person, for a lifetime.

Thanks for the good wishes! I had a wonderful day today and got to go antique-ing. I actually found a parking spot, much to my surprise! I browsed through my favorite antique store, which had many beautiful pieces but nothing that I felt I had a place for. Then I looked through a few more antique stores and although I didn't find any furniture there, I was surprised to find some inexpensive and tasteful antique artwork that will look nice here.

So, I am feeling happy and it is wonderful to be rid of that virus! I had it for a full week, and the amazing thing is that it was worst right before it disappeared.

Carole C

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D on 2/15/03 at 09:08 (109222)

Thanks for your concern, Carole. Yes, I am continuing my stretches and taking Naproxin. I have to admit that I had been slacking off on taking the medicine as I seemed so much improved. But I will take it regularly now at least through this damp weather. Particularly on the concrete floors, I must be so careful. Last night it just seemed that my feet needed heat. It felt good, so I sat around with my feet up with thick socks and heat.

To change the subject, I was thinking about your upcoming ball (so exciting!), and I wanted to mention to you that I found a beautiful dress to wear to my daughter's wedding at a consignment shop. This one shop has a connection with a bridal warehouse and once or twice a year they get bridesmaid and mother of the bride dresses which I suppose are overstocks or returns or the like. But my dress is just what I wanted, never had been worn, and cost $40. I'm not trying to be 'cheap', but there are so many things to buy that I was thankful to find that good deal! Perhaps if you know of any nice consignment shops in your area, you might find something for the ball.

Just for fun, I typed in 'mother of the bride' on search the web and came up with several sites. I just wanted to look and see if my dress seemed to be 'right' (not that I wasn't going to wear it anyway! I was just curious). I thought I'd send you the site as they have several selections of formal wear:

http://www.formalfashion.com/

Under the clearance section, there was a pretty jacket and skirt - I think J150 was the selection. Under MOB (mother of the bride), there is a dress that looks a lot like mine. It is G319.

Happy looking!

Re: Suzanne

Kathy G on 2/15/03 at 09:45 (109231)

Suzanne,

What a great site! I like the dress that you say is similar to yours very much. What color is yours? A consignment shop is such a great idea.

My son is getting married in September so I'll be in the market soon for a MOG (that's Mother of the Groom) dress. I was doing some research online about colors for bridesmaids' dresses as my daughter is my son's 'Best Man' and his fiance's sister is her Maid of Honor and they will be the only attendants. The question of wearing black came up. It happens that both the girls look particularly good in black. Anyhow, I found all kinds of info on the subject. The majority opinion, about 30 to 2, of all the websites I went to, was that black was indeed an acceptable color. After all that, I found out that they had decided on a plum color. I think that's a whole lot nicer, anyway. It's not a particularly formal wedding and I just think a color would be nicer.

That being said, I guess I could go with black if I wanted to but I doubt I will. I have only recently started to wear black, since my hair has started to turn white. I read all kinds of interesting information and I came away with just one question: Who decides what's acceptable and what isn't? One article I read said that the mothers could not wear a dress no longer than the ones the bride's attendants are wearing. I guess, that since their dresses are going to be tea length, I've got to go with the same or just street length. I was kind of hoping to wear a long dress. On the other hand, how many people know what's considered proper?

I haven't even started to look because I wanted them to lock in their style and color. I'll probably end up in some shade of blue because that's my favorite color. I'll have to check out some consignment shops!

Suzanne D on 2/15/03 at 10:07 (109236)

I'm glad you enjoyed looking at the site, Kathy, and that you liked the style of my dress! My daughter's bridesmaid dresses are 'victorian lilac' (darker than lavendar but lighter than purple). My dress is a periwinkle color, I think - somewhere between a blue and a lavendar. It is long, and I was pleased to find that length since I want to de-emphasize my shoes! I will wear a pair of SAS low-heeled, dress sandals which my feet can tolerate. Also, being tall, I never have worn heels, and I like longer lengths with low-heeled shoes.

You know, Kathy, I think that most of the 'rules' for these kinds of events are just not present any more. I have seen so many different lengths and styles and colors through the past years. When I was a little girl, my mother said one must never wear white to the wedding: that was reserved for the bride. (Last year the mother of the bride at a wedding I attended was wearing a white suit!) Females had to always have their heads covered with a hat and have white gloves. (Of course that went by the wayside years ago. I remember as a young teen coming home from a wedding and pleading with my mother, 'Mama, no one but me had a hat on! Please don't ask me to wear one again!') Those were the days when you 'couldn't' wear white shoes after Labor Day or before Easter, etc. I think there is much more diversity now, and that is good.

I have seen black worn by wedding attendants and every other color. I have seen the bridesmaids in all different pastel colors, and I even played for one wedding on July 4 at which the attendants wore red, white, and blue!

With all that in mind, if you want to wear a long dress and your son and his fiance are happy about that, then I say go for it! When I bought my dress, my daughter was with me. I was concerned about the long length and wondered about her fiance's mother. I told her that if she did not want to wear a long dress, I could have this one cut off to a tea length. She said, 'No, Mama. Let her choose what she wants. You all don't have to try to look alike. Let her be her and you be you. This dress is you, and I want you to wear it.' So as long as she is happy, I'm not going to worry about it!

Good luck! Let me know what you end up choosing.

Re: Carole...

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/03 at 10:34 (109245)

Suzanne, that's a good idea to get back on the Naproxin, and I'm glad the heat feels good!

Your mother of the bride dress is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can imagine you in it, and it is just perfect. Some day Christina might decide to marry, and when she does I hope I find something as nice as that dress. Right now she's starting to feel the 'biological clock ticking' since her best friend (who married a few years back) is expecting. So maybe Christina and Brad will eventually tie the knot and have kids after all, though I'm not holding my breath.

I love J150 as an idea for Mardi Gras! I am going to look for something like that here. I am going out to look later this weekend. My favorite dress shop is in a strip mall nearby. It became my favorite when my feet were so painful, because I didn't have to tromp clear through a 'real mall' and could park right outside the door. Now that I'm better, I continue to go there and I'm hoping they have something gorgeous for Mardi Gras.

I have one dress that I actually bought to chair that meeting last January, and it might be marginally OK (but I'm going to keep looking). It is black and looks like velvet (though it isn't, but people commented on that and wanted to touch it). It is long, a little over half way between my knees and the floor, and it has a light cloth jacket type thing on top like J150, but longer and meant to hang open. The jacket is black with lots of shiny gold threads in it. Overall, the dress is nice and I suppose it will do if I can't find another, but maybe it is not quite as fancy as it sounds, somehow, so I will keep looking for another dress. Besides, how many times will I get to go to a Mardi Gras ball at my age? This could be a once in a lifetime experience for me, and I plan to enjoy it as though it is, and get the most out of it.

Frank e-mailed me yesterday and told me that it's formal and that he's wearing a dinner jacket. I already knew that, but it was nice of him to let me know in advance. I hope the local shops aren't sold out of formal wear.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/03 at 10:45 (109246)

Kathy, I was concerned about wearing black at my brother's wedding last August, too. Although I was 'sister of the groom', not 'mother of the groom', I wanted to look especially nice. Our mother is 94 and couldn't come to the wedding so our other brother and I sat up front and so on.

Luckily I found a blue and green swirly print long skirt with a white top that seemed just right. Don't forget that it might be hot in September. At least it was pretty hot in St. Louis in August at my brother's wedding. Black seemed like a much less desirable choice once I was there, even though I like black normally, so I was glad that I went with the bluegreen and white. I was given a beautiful rose corsage for the wedding, and it showed up nicely on the white.

As far as the length goes, I never heard of that rule although my sister-in-law's bridesmaids wore full length dresses.

Carole C

JudyS on 2/15/03 at 12:55 (109267)

Suzanne - Even though my PF is at least 90% cured, even now, as it was at its worst, my feet get stiff and achy during cold or wet weather. Or when I drink a soda. Go figure!

Re: Soda?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/03 at 13:30 (109275)

When you drink a soda? I wonder what could be causing that? How weird! Do you think you might have some kind of allergy that's causing this? Maybe Nutrasweet, or sugar, or artificial color or something?

I've got to admit that if drinking a soda caused my feet to hurt I'd definitely think twice about doing it.

Carole C

Re: AHA ! Here's a link for the "black dress at wedding?" thread

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/03 at 18:44 (109317)

http://www.drdaveanddee.com/black.html

Hope this helps.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/15/03 at 21:31 (109328)

Thanks for your response, Judy. It does help to hear someone else say they have had similar experiences. I guess I'm afraid of a relapse!

I wonder what is in a soda that makes your feet hurt?

JudyS on 2/16/03 at 11:59 (109390)

Carole - I think maybe a discussion about soda has been had here once or twice before - I'm not sure. I think the issue is with the carbonation and/or salt content. I usually can feel it in my hands also. It doesn't stop me from drinking it - which is easy to say because I seldom do anyway.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/16/03 at 12:37 (109396)

Oh!!! Thanks. I guess I wasn't thinking. Soda does make people retain water. I don't drink the stuff very much either.

Carole C