Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

flowers

Posted by Bev N on 2/14/03 at 10:29 (109136)

Does anyone know how to clean dried flower arrangements? I have tried the special sprays that are available - taken the arrangements outside and sprayed them - taken them outside and used the blowdryer on them - tried dusting but then they break off. Some of these cost a lot of $$ and I don't want to buy new ones, but some of them are so hard to clean. Any suggestions?? Thanks, Bev

Re: flowers

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/03 at 12:16 (109153)

How about dusting them with a soft brush like a make-up brush? Maybe then they wouldn't break. (?)

Carole C

Bev N on 2/14/03 at 12:50 (109159)

Thanks Carole, I will give it a try. I just knew you gals would come up with ideas,there is a lot of knowledge out there to share, right? Thanks, Bev

carynz on 2/14/03 at 12:58 (109161)

hi carole,

i have tried many things over the years because i have always enjoyed keeping flowers i have received and making wreaths or swags from all of them together. yes it is a difficult one to remedy especially when the dustwebs start hanging off them! i tried a cheap no scent hairspray, both in aerosol can and pump spray bottle. i take them outside because they stink for a while and spray the heck out of them. once the spray dries, you get a coating and it builds up so when you use a light brush or dust feather over them nothing breaks. this has worked for mine and even though the dust still settles a little, it does not look as grubby as they did before. we have a brand that walmart sells it is called french's hairspray for men, no scent and they used to use it alot at the barber shops so if you have a little barber shp maybe they can suggest something inexpensive. those silica gels and such you dip the flowers in are for the birds literally and cost you more than y ou need to spend. let me know if this works for your arrangements. spray everything, greens, leaves, stems etc. where do you dry your flowers? i use my storage shed because it is cool and dark so i have nails to hang the flowers on upside down and sometimes they sit for months before i decide what to use them for. the shed smells nice though. i just dried some roses and carnations that were given to me in hospital when i had my shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago and they ar just drying nicely now and hanging for a week.

cheers and happy valentines day!

caryn

Bev N on 2/14/03 at 14:12 (109173)

Wow, caryn, I don't have the ambition to make my own dried flower arrangements, that is great that you do it. I never learned how. I do it the lazy way and buy mine at craft shows. Thankyou for your advice. When the weather gets nice(it is FREEZING out now) I will take them all outside and try it. Thanks,Bev