Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doctors instructions during convalescence after T.T. surgery

Posted by Leanne L. on 2/15/03 at 08:39 (109210)

I was permitted to walk immediately after my surgery as long as I wore a 'walking boot' which did not allow ankle movement. I'm wondering if this is the norm? According to the messages posted to this site the majority of people post Tarsal Tunnel surgery, are not allowed to weight-bear.? Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Doctors instructions during convalescence after T.T. surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/15/03 at 10:19 (109240)

Leanne:

There are different post-op protocols although the majority of doctors would discourage weight bearing immediatley after surgery.
Ed

Barbara S on 2/15/03 at 21:44 (109330)

Leanne L. I can't even image anyone being able to put weight on the surgery foot. I used a wheel chair around the house for 2 months. My foot was so swollen I couldn't even get it into a walking boot. The only time I left the house the first 4-6wks was to get my stitches out.
I am really conservative with my recovery as I don't want any set backs. My surgery was 10 months ago and I'm still recovering. I saw my Pod last week and he said it could be another year for a full recovery if that even happens.
So please take it easy.
Barbara S

Marty on 2/16/03 at 16:09 (109411)

did you get up and walk out or how long was it before you dared putting weight on it?

Marty

Leanne L. on 2/17/03 at 16:18 (109526)

I arrived home after my surgery and walked into my house (I had my walking boot on).

Leanne L. on 2/17/03 at 16:43 (109529)

To everyone who responded to my post, thank you! I would like to inform everyone that, so far, I am doing terrific! I am 24 days post-op and am walking (almost) like I was preoperatively. I do not have incisional pain when I walk, most of my pain is joint pain from severe degenerative arthritis in my ankle. I do not have much swelling at all! I keep an ACE wrap on all the time. I am curious about the ages of the people who responded to my post. Also, have any of you had muscle wasting?
Thanks