Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sleet and high water...

Posted by Suzanne D on 2/16/03 at 08:06 (109356)

Hello, Friends! We have had a couple of days and nights of heavy, continual rain and so are experiencing flooding. We live about a mile from a river which is out of its banks now. Our church is along 'River Road', and we are cut off from either direction, so no services today. Where I live is high enough to not be affected, though.

In the night, the rain changed to sleet, and now each branch and blade of grass is coated with ice as well as the road. This is to continue throughout the day, changing over to snow in the evening. It is looking like another snow day from school tomorrow...

I hope you are staying warm and safe in all the places you live!
Suzanne :-)

Re: sleet and high water...

Carole C in NOLA on 2/16/03 at 08:26 (109358)

Oh my goodness, Suzanne! I had no idea that you were having bad weather up there. You mentioned not being able to get to your church. Do you know yet if the high water damaged it? I hope not.

The ice coating everything is probably beautiful, though deadly. I do hope that you have another snow day tomorrow because it doesn't sound like a good time to be out and about!

We are fine here in New Orleans. We had rain yesterday afternoon, but it has been in the upper 60's and lower 70's most of the week. We are very lucky that somehow we escaped the recent bad weather that has been plaguing much of the country. I heard that the northeast has had bad weather too.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/16/03 at 08:37 (109361)

More unusual extreme weather! Suzanne, I hope you stay dry and warm. I think you have had more snow days this year than we have had in NH!

My sister, who lives in Annapolis, is getting this terrible snowstorm. I haven't yet talked to her today but as of last night, they had about 4'. The storm isn't supposed to end until Tuesday morning and I just heard that they already have 12' in DC. Down there, because they are so unaccustomed to snow, they are totally out of commission when they get it. The blizzard of 1983 closed down their schools for a week. My sister lives on Chesapeake Bay so sometimes they get less but it didn't appear to be the case according to last night's weahter reports.

Here in NH, we are having exceptionally cold weather, as we have had for almost a month now, with a few exceptions. It was 7 below last night with a windchill factor of 17 below. It was incredibly cold! The snowstorm is supposed to arrive Monday afternoon but only bring 1-3'. We haven't even had a January thaw! I'm ready for Spring!

Suzanne D on 2/16/03 at 09:51 (109366)

Thanks, Carole and Kathy! Yes, the ice is beautiful but so treacherous. I just hope we don't lose power due to frozen lines snapping.

Our church building is actually located on a small hill, but the road leading to it is lower and water is well over the road in two areas, blocking it from both directions. There are two families who are affected other than the church camp and church building. They are also high enough that they should not get water in their homes, but they are cut off right now from going anywhere. Of course the ice on the roads is such that people should be staying in anyway!

I just read on a weather forecast that it is to be 50 degrees on Tuesday, so that should thaw everything! In the meantime, my daughter and I will make good use of the time and work on addressing wedding invitations.

Glad you're warm, Carole! Kathy, stay warm, and I hope your sister makes it fine in their snow storm!

Re: sleet and high water...and snow

Leon S. on 2/16/03 at 17:59 (109418)

Here in central Jersey the snow started around 3PM with the temp around 12F. Expected accumulations by the end of tomorrow should be over a foot. Since I was supposed to work tomorrow, the extra day off (I called in sick, not that I would have gotten out anyhow) is a blessing. The little boy in me still gets excited when it snows...(I wonder if I should rephrase that?)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/16/03 at 18:15 (109422)

Leon, that is really COLD!!!! Just in case nobody told you, I thought I'd let you know. (grin) You are right; it's exciting to have a big storm on the way, as long as you know that you can be safe and warm inside. I'm glad you aren't going to work.

I was just reading about the storm's effect on D.C. and Maryland, and I learned about 'thunder snow'. That must sound pretty ominous! I just thought I'd mention learning that since Bev said she didn't know about gumbo. It's interesting to hear about life in other parts of the country and in other countries too, on this social board.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/16/03 at 20:10 (109428)

Glad you'll have the day off, Leon. I hope you enjoy the rest AND the snow!

I still get excited watching the snow come down. (Unless I'm out driving!) There's something about it that makes me feel like a little girl again. I remember making snowmen, standing around the radio with my little sister and mother, listening to see if we would have school the next day and jumping up and down when they said we had a day off (My mother was a teacher, too!).

Of course this ice today is something else...The limbs of our trees are bending over almost touching the ground, heavy from the ice...walking out on the porch is like stepping on an ice rink...We're out of school tomorrow. Originally it was to be a day off for President's Day, but we were to go tomorrow to make up another day.

I'm trying to rest my feet and have helped my daughter with her wedding invitations this afternoon.

Take care, everyone!

JudyS on 2/16/03 at 21:29 (109432)

Suzanne - like you I get all anticipatory when there's a good snow fall. Not that there are any here in Southern California! But, I'm leaving Friday for Michigan, DC and NYC and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be some snow left to call my own! I just spoke with my mom (In Michigan) and gave her specific instructions to still have snow when I arrive.

Nancy N on 2/16/03 at 23:29 (109434)

I didn't realize you're in Central Jersey--me too! Whereabouts? I'm a little ways outside Princeton, m'self. Must not be too far away because the snow started here around 3, too. And I think it should be the powdery kind since it's too cold for it to be heavy, wet snow. Advantages to that (easier to remove) but disadvantages, too (drifts).

At any rate, I had the day off school tomorrow regardless, but I am kind of excited about the snow--though I'd also like to be able to get out and do some things. But I still think snow is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down, so I'll do just that. I hope you enjoy it, wherever you are. I'm surprised Judy hasn't entreated us all to go out and make a snow angel! Though, at the rate the snow is falling, it'd be filled in rather quickly!

Suzanne D on 2/17/03 at 09:39 (109451)

I hope you really enjoy the snow, Judy! With the large amounts I'm hearing about on the news, surely there will be some left when you get there! Maybe you'll have the best of both worlds: the roads all clear and yet snow in the yards to enjoy.

We had about an inch of snow overnight to add to the 1/2' of ice covering everything. Several small branches broke in the night, and we could hear the cracking as it happened. Our dog was really upset; I think he was confused by the sounds and also perhaps heard a coyote in the distance. He was restless all night.

Leon S. on 2/17/03 at 09:53 (109453)

Nancy, Hi neighbor. I'm in Manalapan. Where in the Princeton area are you? We occasionally go to the movies at Rocky Hill because the theaters around here don't show the better films that Rocky Hill does. It's almost 11AM and it seems to be sleeting outside. I just spent an hour shovelling a narrow path down my driveway to get to my cars, and a clearing in front where the plows walled me in. By the time I finished, another 1' covered the original path I made so I'll probably have to do it a few more times.

Nancy N on 2/17/03 at 10:04 (109455)

Leon, I live in Lawrenceville. I've been here for about 6 years, a refugee from PA (I know, it usually works the other way!) The movies at Montgomery are definitely the place to go if you want to see the smaller independent/foreign films, though I don't particularly like the theater itself (too small, and not wild about some of the clientele).

I went out to clear my car off around 9 this morning, figuring I'd do this in two phases since my shoulder is still sore and I don't want to be overdoing it. I cleared off the top of my car, but you can't see the front and I'm not sure how I'm going to get into it for work tomorrow since the snow is up above the bottom of the driver-side door. I have a shovel, but that's going to be even worse for the shoulder than the snow brush, so I'm not sure what I'll end up doing.

Anyway, good luck with your snow and keep warm!

JudyS on 2/17/03 at 10:48 (109459)

Nen - I get to make my own this weekend.......:)

Nancy N on 2/17/03 at 12:09 (109476)

I'm glad to hear it, Judy--because the snow is so deep outside I might not be able to get myself back out of it again!!

Re: deep snow in NJ !!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/03 at 13:21 (109486)

Oh, neat!! You've just got to at least make a snowman, Nancy! I'll bet it would only take a minute with that much snow on the ground. Maybe you could make his ears out of discarded hard orthotics. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/17/03 at 13:29 (109489)

Carole--A snowman would be great fun! Unfortunately, this snow is too light and fluffy to be good snowman material. It'd be a great way to get some of this stuff out of the parking lot, though! And since I am still getting over my bronchitis, I'm trying to limit my time out in the cold. I went out this morning to clear off my car and have been coughing all day, so I know my lungs are still very sensitive. What a pain!!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/03 at 13:46 (109496)

Oh shucks! That's too bad! Yes, it would be a fun and convenient way to clear out a section of your parking lot. Orthotics would probably make odd looking ears anyway (sour grapes! LOL)

Take care of those sensitive lungs. You sure don't need a secondary lung infection. Guess you are limited to staying snug and warm, and full of chicken soup while you watch the snow on TV like the rest of us.

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/17/03 at 13:53 (109499)

Boy, Carole, I can't tell you how sick I am of chicken soup! Enough already! I'm on my second course of antibiotics, so I think it would be hard for any other infection to set in, but what do I know? This is why I am not the doctor :) I do have to go back out to clear my car off again or it'll be frozen solid by morning. I am really hoping for a delayed opening, though--it might take me two hours to get into my car, if I can get the doors open for all the snow around it!

I forgot to say earlier that I think Orthotic Ears are the best way to use those things since the old ice scraper idea! Bravo!

pala on 2/17/03 at 15:19 (109506)

hey nancy, do you need some guilt with the chicken soup? it seemed to cure carole and i'm just my jewish mother's daughter to do it. keep me posted.

Re: Nancy...

Suzanne D on 2/17/03 at 15:28 (109508)

Yes, after bronchitis or pneumonia, your lungs will be sensitive for some time. It seems that any change in the temperature, especially very cold and damp weather, can make you cough. This happens to my husband a lot. Of course he doesn't get bronchitis every time the temperature drops, but he will cough considerably and certainly notice it. With his being a chronic condition, I guess he notices things that affect his breathing passages like we notice how certain situations affect our feet.

He has found when almost over a bout of bronchitis that it helps him to do some exercise which loosens up any remaining congestion. Breathing harder helps to clear the lungs, I guess.

Again, I'm certainly no expert on asthma, bronchitis, or pneumonia, but we've dealt with all three a great many times at my house.

Glad you're almost well, Nancy. Take care!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/03 at 16:56 (109536)

I don't think I could ever get tired of hot chicken soup on a cold day when I'm sick. But then, I haven't been sick as long as you. LOL

I hope the locks aren't frozen shut on your car door once you get the snow off of it. I've heard of that happening. Is it unusual? Detroit really ought to think about installing lock heaters in car doors, so that potential problem would vanish.

I'm glad you like the Orthotic Ears! Don't forget, the next time you make a snowman. (grin)

Carole C

Re: Nancy...

Nancy N on 2/17/03 at 17:48 (109544)

Thanks for the info. I've had a touch of exercise-induced asthma since I was a kid, but was only diagnosed a year or two ago, at long last. The cold really irritates me if I'm doing anything strenuous, so it's hard to tell if my reaction this morning was leftover bronchitis or the asthma--probably a little of each. I decided, since I just got the call that school is closed tomorrow, to take my chances and not go back out again to clear until tomorrow. I don't want to over-irritate things.

I had been avoiding exercise (much to my chagrin) because of the lungs, but perhaps I should give it a try tomorrow, especially since I now know I'll have ample time!

Thanks again!

Nancy N on 2/17/03 at 18:14 (109547)

It's not uncommon for doors to be frozen shut. Not just the locks, but the actual doors can be frozen shut, too. You have to be careful when that happens, because if you pull too hard on the door handle and the ice is strong enough, you can rip the handle right off the door. Whenever that's happened to me, I've usually been able to open the opposite door and push from inside, which works pretty well. Sometimes you have to use de-icer, though.

But since I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow, I'm not going to worry about it until then. Hopefully, the sun will help a little. And unless the winds changed through the day today, I should still be able to open the passenger door.

I have two sets of perfect orthotics for snowman ears, which have now found a new use in life! Thanks!