Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z or Dr. Davis

Posted by dave r on 2/18/03 at 08:14 (109638)

is it wise to use a night splint after having a plantar fascia release. i had foot surgery 11 days ago. My doctor wants me to start using a cam walker.I was wondering if it is ok to start using a nightsplint to. What do you think?

Re: Dr. Z or Dr. Davis

Dr. Z on 2/18/03 at 11:08 (109653)

good questions. I never used it post-op. I see no reason why not

dave r on 2/18/03 at 12:28 (109670)

thanks Dr. Z
How much snow did you get over there? We dont have any here at all.
Usually we have a couple of feet on the ground.

Dr. Z on 2/18/03 at 13:10 (109683)

Two feet !!!!. I am bome

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/18/03 at 18:15 (109730)

Although there should be no harm in using the night splint post operatively, it depends on the splint. Some splints may cause too much dorsiflexion and cause discomfort. But most importantly, you should DEFINITELY ask your surgeon prior to taking my advice or Dr. Z' advice.

Dr. Z on 2/18/03 at 18:56 (109735)

I agree with Dr. Wander. Didn't you use the nite splint before the foot surgery? Very important not pass 90 degrees. I always though you were having the minimial incision plantar fasciotomy surgery. Is this true?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/18/03 at 23:11 (109773)

I find night splints to be helpful after PF release surgery because they maintain a light stretch on the fascia and prevent contracture of the achilles.

dave r on 2/19/03 at 08:51 (109793)

i have been wearing the night splint for 4 years without any trouble. My surgery was 12 days ago. i have a one inch incision on the side of my heel. It is between the akle and the bottom of my heel. The doctor said that he cut between 30 and 50 percent of the fascia. he did it by feel. So far i am doing ok. i started using a cam walker two days ago. But trust me i have only taken about 15 steps a day with it. My foot is a little sore today. It is the first time that i have had any pain at all. So i am wondering if i should be using the cam walker now or if i should wait a few more weeks. I thought that maybe i could incorporate the nightsplint in there to but i will wait until i see my doctor again next week.
My question to you pro's is what is the right thing to do? Do i just sit here with my foot up all day long giving it rest or do i try to put some weight on it by using a cam walker for a few steps each day? Thanks!!!

dave r on 2/19/03 at 08:52 (109794)

Thanks Doctor Ed! I thought that it may be a good idea.