Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bilateral hallux rigidus

Posted by Marie on 2/18/03 at 09:14 (109641)

I have bilateral hallux rigidus and five pairs of orthotics which give no relief. Even though my big toe shows a great degree of osteoarthritis on x-ray, I have goodrange of motion in both toes. No matter what it still feels I am walking on the outside of my feet. I have big calluses on the fourth and five toes of each foot. I have bad pain in my knees, hip flexors and back. Where do I go from here? Is there anything anybody can suggest other than surgery? Thanks very much,

Re: Bilateral hallux rigidus

Dr. Z on 2/18/03 at 11:49 (109659)

This is a tough problem !! You probaby have an elevated first metatarsal head. Without a correction for the first met head elevation which was probaby done there is no hope except for foot surgery. Five pairs of orthosis is alot of attempts to help you. There are orthosis experts on this board.

Marie on 2/18/03 at 12:03 (109664)

This email is for the orthosis experts on the board. I have five pairs of orthotics to help correct my bilateral hallux rigidus. I still am walking on the outside of my foot with large, painful calluses on the fourth and fifth toes. I also have painful knees, hip flexors, and back. Is there anything anybody can do via orthosis to correct this problem? If not, what kind of surgery would this entail? Thanks very much Marie

Dr. Z on 2/18/03 at 13:08 (109680)

Trust me I am considered an expert. If the first met head elevation isn't addressed there isn't an orthosis that is going to help you. You may even have varus deformity of the heel bone. Five pairs of orthosis! did any of them ever work for any lenght of time. What type of orthosis have you had?

It is very difficult to determine what type of foot surgery you would need. It all depends on the ENTIRE struction of your foot. Are the calluses on the bottom of your foot or are they on the TOES.. If we are talking about calluses on the bottom of your foot with a big toe joint DJD involvment we are talking about a total reconstruction of your heel bone and forefoot. There will be other doctors etc that will give you other opinion so stick around

Marie on 2/18/03 at 15:04 (109707)

The five pairs of orthoses have been full length and 3/4 hard and soft orthoses which have worked for about a week or two then my knees, hip flexors, and back really begin to hurt. I can't do anything, not even a bike or an eliptical trainer. My left foot has big calluses on the fourth and fifth toes. My right foot has large calluses on the fifth toe. My calves are so tight that stretching three times a day for 10 minutes on an incline board doesn't help much and I do have a very tight plantar fascia. Where should I go from here? How can I stop walking on the outside of my foot and irritating my knees, hips, and back? Any suggestions? What tests would be needed to confirm the diagnosis? I just want to make the right decisions. Thanks marie

Dr. Z on 2/18/03 at 15:50 (109712)

You need someone who is an expert in biomechanics of the human gait. A podiatrist , certified pedothist. You may need physical therapy.