Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help! - Need advice

Posted by lauriel on 2/18/03 at 11:41 (109658)

It has been 2 1/2 months since surgery, and I have been doing pretty good. The PT started me on stretches two weeks ago to help relieve the tightness in muscles in the back of my heel (achilles tendon)? well, it swelled up, which immediately went down the next day. This happened a few times so he told me to stop that stretching for now. I decided to massage this area and up the back of my calf since I couldnt do any streching on Saturday. What a mistake!! I am now back on crutches, the incision area is swollen, kind of bluish/purple and still and I have a tingling pain. Question is hopfully this is short term and I just aggrivated it?
Laurie

Re: help! - Need advice

Dr. Z on 2/18/03 at 13:00 (109679)

I would call your foot surgeon regardless of what we tell you. It sounds like too much too soon. You are in shoes which probaby aggravatd the areas after swelling at the back of your foot. Rest, elevation, and call your doctor today This is an area that will swell alot off and on after achillest tendon surgery which I am guessing you had

Re: help! - Need advice

lauriel on 2/18/03 at 13:18 (109687)

Dr Z, thanks for the info, I will get a hold of my Dr. I have TSS so the incision was down my ankle, not in the back so I thought I was safe massaging the area to help loosen it up. I didnt think of it, but I bet my shoes are making the area tighten up and a combo of not walking right trying to keep pressure off the foot. I have only been able to wear one pair since the surgery, a pair of saucony running shoes, but I am now getting pain in my arch. I think I am going to try birkenstocks that lot of people on the board use. I am just concerned this may cause more pain as I have a pair of Tiva sandals with similar arch support and before sugery, these shoes really gave the electric shocks in my ankle.
Laurie