Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weight Watchers

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/03 at 12:42 (109672)

Some people are starting up a Weight Watchers 'At Work' program, where we can have our meetings at work. If we can get enough people it will start next week! And I am sure ready for this. I've had it with not being happy with my weight, and if we can't have meetings at work I'll sign up for meetings at their center. I'm ready and determined. By May, in ten weeks, I plan to be twenty pounds less. That would make me feel very good about life.

Weight Watchers really works for me, because they emphasize healthy nutrition but you can eat some of whatever you want (just not huge quantities). Calories, fat, and fiber are important in weight watchers and are used to computer the number of weight watchers points for each thing you eat. Then you have a set range of points to try to stay within, each day.

It's possible to combine other weight loss ideas with weight watchers, and I usually try to do some things reminiscent of Sugarbusters. I cut way back on sugar and carbohydrates even though a person could choose to eat a lot of those on Weight Watchers. I've found that the less sugar, the less I want to overeat.

Carole C

Re: Weight Watchers

Bev N on 2/18/03 at 13:13 (109685)

Carole, I joined a 'Weight Watchers At Work' program last year when I was working. It was held at the college that was just down the highway from our office so a few of us went there on our lunch hour. I lost 10 pounds, but now I am home and no longer working, but I have all the info and recipe books and all to follow, so hopefully I can lose 10 more pounds.I am not a very good girl though. I eat some things I should not, but then I try to be better the next days to make up for it. I am not able to do aerobic exercises as I can't be on my feet, and that is really bad for me, as I used to do a lot of walking. I really miss our walks at night, my poor hubby goes alone now. Good luck at WW, we can encourage each other. Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/03 at 13:30 (109690)

Great! I lost a lot at Weight Watchers for a while there, and then I got PF. I kept going to Weight Watchers but I know what you mean about the lack of exercise creating problems! Now I am determined to shed these pounds. Summer is coming and I want to get back into my smaller sized summer clothes that I bought last year.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/18/03 at 14:41 (109701)

As I have said, weight was never a problem for me until I got PF and had to stop exercising. Then I gained weight and while I was still not technically overweight, I was uncomfortable with how I felt and looked. Last April, I joined WeightWatchers online and it helped me to re-examine my eating habits. I wasn't eating a lot but I was eating the wrong things. I just didn't realize that my reduction in activity meant that I couldn't consume as many carbs as I had previously. You may not have much sympathy for someone like me, but I'll tell you, having never been heavy in my life and in fact, having had to work hard to gain weight during a few periods in my life, when I got PF and gained weight, it was a real double whammy. My weight is back to an 'acceptable' level and while I don't count points, I am careful about what I eat. I will never get back to the weight I was until I can once again become as active as I once was, but at least I don't feel as uncomfortable as I did and I don't cringe (as much) at the sight of myself in a mirror.

As you know firsthand, taking that first step and becoming in control is so important. It was one thing about my body I was, and still am, capable of controlling. You've already lost weight through the program so you know what it can do for you. Good for you! I'm so pleased to hear that you've joined. And it's nice to be able to do it with people you know from work!

Congratulations!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/03 at 15:20 (109710)

I have had trouble with my weight since I turned 30 and became a mommy. Probably the 'turning 30' part was more a factor than motherhood, for me, since I was already 15 pounds overweight when I got pregnant. I am quite overweight now, but I do know that Weight Watchers works for me. It takes forever, but at least it's reasonably healthy and flexible.

Now is the time for me to gradually step up my activity, since I am still able to do some things and since my PF is not a factor for me right now. I had hoped that the extra activity of being a single homeowner would help, with all the mowing and other responsibilities, but either I'm eating more or else that activity just doesn't count. Once I am back on Weight Watchers I'll be able to figure out which it is.

Today at lunch I tried the new non-fat yogurt that our snack bar just started carrying. It's only 210 calories, about four points. After a few spoonfuls, I thought it was cloyingly sweet. I looked at the label. Would you believe it had 36 grams of sugar? No wonder it had no fat. There was no room for any! LOL So I guess I will try something else or else bring another brand of yogurt for lunch.

Carole C

wendyn on 2/18/03 at 20:19 (109754)

Carole - I've kept off my 5 lbs that I lost on the cleanse...and it feels much better. I know it's not a lot of weight - but it can make a big difference on someone my size.

Hubby has lost 16 pounds, and he's very proud of himself (he's never really tried to lose weight - so this is a BIG deal)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/03 at 21:06 (109762)

That's wonderful, Wendy! You are right that a small amount of weight can make a lot more difference on a small person. Congratulations on keeping it off.

I think my first 'mini-goal' will be 4 pounds, because the last digit of my present weight is a 4. Besides, I might be able to lose 4 pounds before Mardi Gras (March 4th) maybe. At least it would be a nice goal. After that, another small goal or two and maybe after a while it will be easier to stay on track. So far it's not been too easy but I am not giving up.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/19/03 at 08:01 (109783)

My sister went on WeightWatchers when I did but she can exercise and her weight came off much more quickly than mine did. I had to remind myself to just hang in there and when I finally lost it, it did stay off. She continues to exercise but has gained. Of course, she has a different body type than mine so it's not a surprise. She has always had to monitor her weight. But I did find I was quite frustrated at first because she was losing so much faster than I. I didn't set any real goals because I figured if I lost anything it was a bonus! Once I started to lose, though, I became encouraged and I think I paid even more attention to what I ate. And having jeans that felt comfortable was a real plus!

I like Columbo Light Yogurt which has 15 g of sugar and is 120 calories. I use it as a mid-afternoon snack. I've been eating yogurt every single day for the last fifteen years. At first I hated it and I'd put a package of Equal into it just to make it palatable! I figured it was a healthy thing to eat. And you know what a picture of health I am. Yeah, right!!

I can't wait to hear about the Mardi Gras Ball. I just think it's so neat that you're going!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/03 at 09:32 (109804)

That yogurt sounds great!

I try not to think of weight loss as a competitive sport. If I compared my rate of weight loss to that of younger people without much weight problem, I'd be setting myself up. I found it very unconstructive when my brother wanted to constantly compare weekly weight loss a couple of years ago, and I ended up just not telling him how much I had lost. He lost a couple of hundred pounds at an average rate of 4-5 pounds/week, which I felt was too fast for me to emulate and remain healthy. Now I just try to do the best that I can, and if I'm averaging 1-2 pounds/week weight loss, I know that's a healthy rate for me and I'll get there eventually.

I am pretty excited about getting to go to a Mardi Gras ball too. I would probably think it was boring if I had done it before, but I haven't. It will be fun. :)

Carole C