Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercise bike

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/03 at 12:51 (109674)

My exercise bike will total up the number of miles that I've 'traveled'. It's 60 miles from here to the south side of Baton Rouge where I used to live. I'm going to gradually get back into riding my exercycle, paying attention to my feet to make sure I don't mess them up again. Then once I am riding a few miles each day without problems, it won't be too long before I've finished as many miles as going to Baton Rouge.

Last time I tried this I had never had PF, and just set a fixed number of miles to cover each day. However PF put a stop to that. This time I will be more careful and not push myself so hard. Also this time I plan to wear my New Balance 991's when I ride.

Carole C

Re: Exercise bike

Bev N on 2/18/03 at 13:20 (109688)

Carole, Can we ride a bike with PF ? I surely would like to once spring gets here, however I thought that would put pressure on the facia and would make it worse. I would be in my glory if I could go bike riding without doing any more damage to the feet then are already done. Bev

Re: Biking with PF?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/03 at 13:37 (109691)

You have a really good point, Bev, and I'm glad you are aware of the dangers.

A lot of people say that you can ride a bike with PF, and they have no trouble with it. However I really wouldn't recommend it until you are almost back to normal, and here's why.

I originally GOT my PF due to riding my exercise bike. However I was doing some dumb things; riding barefoot, with the bike on its highest tension, and with the seat too far back. With the seat in that position, my knees would straighten or hyperextend and I was 'twanging' my Achilles tendon on each go-around, and I had pretty bad Achilles tendonitis along with my PF.

This time I have the seat further forward so that my knees don't get anywhere near straight. I have the tension on the lightest level, and I'll be wearing my New Balance shoes. Just to be ultra-careful, I am going to pay attention to my feet. That's something that PF taught me. If I start feeling the slightest symptom I will stop.

I still wouldn't be doing this if I had bad PF symptoms. As much as I craved the exercise during PF, it's not worth the risk of harming my feet.

Carole C