Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery

Posted by Rose M. on 2/18/03 at 14:08 (109695)

I have had plantar fasciitis in one foot and a neuroma in the other for a year now. I also have a slight neuroma in the foot with pantar fasciitis and slight plantar fasciitis in the foot with the bad neuroma. I have tried about everything from cortizone shots, chiropractor, acupuncture, casting, and orthodics. I have been referred to a surgeon who wants to do surgery on both feet at the same time. I don't have a date as yet. I would like your opinion on this.
Also, I was wondering, if I have this surgery, will the slight neuroma and plantar fasciitis continue in the feet? I just wanted an opinion about this. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from hapapening? Also, I have been told that I will end up with a weak arch after the surgery and some pulling on the outside of the foot. Will this mean 'ugly' shoes for the rest of my life? I know I will need orthodics. I welcome your comments.
Also, I was wondering your opinion as to what time line I might expect as a normal recovery. I am 58 years old. I need to be on my feet frequently as I work with middle school children.
Thank you so much for your time. Rose

Re: Surgery

Dr. Z on 2/18/03 at 16:28 (109717)

Hi,

I would be happy to discuss your foot surgery however there are two treatments available that can avoid foor surgery for both the neuroma and the chronic plantar fasciitis. For the pf ESWT is an excellent choice to avoid the foot surgery. There are many complications with pf releases which this board is full of . ESWT is a non-invasive procedure that can resolve your foot pain without any cutting.. As for your neuroma problem I have found local injections of scerotic solutions such as alcohol can resolve the nerve pain without any cutting to remove the neuroma.

The recovery for plantar fascia release can be one month up to six months or more. Time missed from work can be anywhere from one to three months
Have you ever heard of ESWT?

Rose M. on 2/19/03 at 08:50 (109792)

Thanks so much for the reply. Actually my doctor told me about ESWT and said it was very expensive and he hadn't seen much more success that with other methods. I don't know. Actually I can't afford it as I am trying to retire after this school year. I could live with it the way it is, but it has cut out so many of the activities that I used to do. I thought it would be worth the chance to try and get healed all the way. Also, if I am going to do it I need to do it soon while I still have the good medical insurance. I have Kaiser. What is your opinion of Kaiser? Please tell me more. Thank you again. Rose

Rose M. on 2/19/03 at 09:07 (109796)

One more thing. I have been seeing a chiropractor for some time and he has done a lot of untra sound on both feet. He did very heavy doses to the point of pain on the heel and I noticed improvement. Is this procedure similar? If I kept doing this, might it have the same results? He also 'cracks' both feet, which hurts a lot at the time, but it significantly reduces the pain for days. It seems to open up the area in the neuroma particularly. I have also been doing acupuncture. These things work for a time, but I don't thing they actually cure the situation. That is why I hve considered the surgery. I am looking forward to your reply.
Thank you so much for your help. Rose

Dr. Z on 2/19/03 at 20:30 (109911)

ESWT is very sucessful . IF you haven't gotten relief with ultrasound over a period of six weeks not really going to do the trick for you.
There is probaby micro-tears in your plantar fascia at the insertion which won't heal. Not sure why your doctor would say that ESWT doesn't work. I have seen hundreds of sucessful pain free stories with this treatment.