Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mind Bender (at least it's not the feet)

Posted by Leon S. on 2/18/03 at 20:00 (109748)

Try this web site to take your minds off your feet or the weather.

http://www.cyberglass.co.uk/assets/Flash/psychic.swf

Re: HOW????

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/03 at 21:11 (109763)

Leon, how does it work? It guessed correctly at least 15 times in a row, for me, when I selected a number as directed.

Then instead of selecting a number, I looked at the drawings and just selected a drawing; but it didn't guess correctly that way.

I'm absolutely baffled. This is mystifying!!!!!!!!

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/18/03 at 22:57 (109769)

Carole:

Take a second look at the numbers and symbols on the right but ignore the magic window for a minute. First you will note that the symbols shift each time you click back on the page. Second, take a number then add the two digits together and subtract and you will get to a number represented by a symbol -- but do not click on the magic window. The trick is in that clicking on the magic window shifts the numbers and symbols so that a different symbol will form the 'match.'

Staying on the right side of the page, without clicking, do the arithmetic as prescribed and the same symbol will be produced -- because of that, it soes not matter which number you use, it will always be the same symbol -- the shift to another symbol only occurs when you click on the window.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/03 at 23:18 (109774)

Well yes, I did observe that almost immediately, that the symbols shift when you click on things..... but ?????

That doesn't explain how it figures out which of the many symbols that are showing, correspond to the number I picked, each time.

I did the computation and determined which of the dozens of symbols corresponded, without clicking at all. Sure, when one finally does click to reveal the answer, the symbols change to set things up for your next shot at it. But that doesn't explain to me how this works, not at all.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/19/03 at 08:09 (109784)

I sure can't figure it out but I sent it out to a number of people. My neice, a PHD., works in an academic setting as does her husband, also a PHD. Maybe one of them or their friends can figure it out.

It's pretty neat!

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/19/03 at 10:49 (109817)

Carole:

Ignore the screen and the shifting but just focus on the number grid on the right. You will note that certain symbols recur -- some very often.
Now, take ANY number, add the digits together and subtract from the number.
All such computations give you the SAME symbol. It is simpler than it looks -- the screen is there to distract you and cause the grid to shift, making it harder to figure out.
Ed
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/19/03 at 10:53 (109819)

Kathy:
You don't need a Phd to figure it out. Read my explaination. Like all 'magic,' the real 'secret' lies in distraction of the viewer.
First, ignore the screen as that is the distractor. Clicking on the screen causes the symbols to shift. Take any number at all, add the two digits together and subtract from the number. The number you get will ALWAYS correspond to the SAME symbol provided you do not shift the grid by clicking on the screen.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/03 at 11:41 (109828)

OK, I get it. The answers are all multiples of 9.

For the numbers 0-9, the answer is 0; for 10-19, the answer is 9; for 20-29, the answer is 18, for 30-39, the answer is 27, and so on.

So the symbol on each multiple of 9 must be the same on any given turn, but changes for each turn. That explains it!

Thanks, Dr. Ed. I hearby crown you King of Mystical Math Puzzles! :)

Carole C