Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I was PAIN free for 6 hours yesterday!

Posted by Ricky J. on 2/19/03 at 08:55 (109795)

Monday I told my doc that I needed help to deal with this pain, and I wanted a referal to a Pain Management Doc. I told him that the pain was so bad that I could not handle this by my self, and that it was destroying my life and my marriage. He calls back and sets me an appointmet to see him first thing yesterday morning. He told me that he could not give me anymore lorecets, and I said I didn't care, becuase that didn't help my pain anyway. I told him that I needed something else to help me with this pain that will work.
He schedule me for a never block that morning. He told me that it probally wouldn't last long, and that I would most likely be back in for another one before the weekend is out. The time between never blocks is supposed to get longer as you increase the times you have a shot.
I had the shot around noon yesterday, instantly I could feel my feet start feeling better, within thirty minutes I was feeling great, like before TTS. I was able to put my socks on without grinding my teeth. That was wonderful. I walked in docs office on cruthes and in great pain, and walked out pain free without crutches. I was the happiest I have been in over a year.
For nearly six hours I was without pain, even though my feet felt a little numb. I started feeling a needle here and then after that. I new that my time was running out. I was awaken about midnight to the tune of my burning feet again. I am going to try and sign up for another shot Friday. Oh yeah, the shot was given in the lower part of my back. My blood pressure was 155 over 100 just before the shot, it was 127 over 80 when I walked out.
I haven't even checked into these nerve blocks to see if they are harmful or not.

Re: I was PAIN free for 6 hours yesterday!

Terry Z on 2/19/03 at 09:24 (109801)

I'll have to do some checking on these blocks I've never heard of a never block. It's been six weeks since my tts surgery and the past four days have been horrible. I've been in tears each day at some point and sometimes it not long after I wake up in the morning. My range of motion is not improving very fast either, I'm not sure if that is due to the fact that I had a talar dome chip that was taken out at the same time.

I'm very happy too hear that this block has helped you it's always nice to hear when someone is pain free even if it only lasted six hours. Good luck on the next one.

lauriel on 2/19/03 at 10:44 (109814)

Terry, sorry to hear you are in much pain, regarding range of motion, Its been 2 1/2 months for me with almost 2 months therapy. I have gained a lot of motion in some areas and none at all in others. (dont know if you saw my post from yesterday where I tried to push it and really bruised the area) I went to the Doc yesterday and asked about the range of motion he said this very normal, that the range will come back in time and to take it slow and easy so I dont re-injure myself.
Laurie

Terry Z on 2/19/03 at 18:25 (109886)

Thank You Lauiel, yes, I did see your post yesterday but my range of motion still bothers me. It's now +5 for dorsiflexion which was -15, plantar flexion is 35 but that's not a lot of movement and a far cry from my left foot. I was told I would never recover 100% but it better get better than this. My foot has been this way for over a year I was just hoping for a quicker change and less pain. I'm just frustrated with this whole thing I want to have my foot and life back.