Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Gas boycott

Posted by Leon S. on 2/19/03 at 20:01 (109905)

This was forwarded to me today. Interesting

The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor. An interesting thought it to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia.
Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil
companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil (for the period 9/1/00 - 8/31/01):

Shell................ ...... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco....... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............. 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway.. 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco................ 62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Citgo................... 0 barrels
Sunoco............. 0 barrels
Conoco............. 0 barrels
Sinclair............... 0 barrels
BP/Phillips.......... 0 barrels
Hess................... 0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

They report on a monthly basis. Keep this list in your car; share it with friends. Stop paying for terrorism.............

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten
more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Re: Gas boycott

BrianG on 2/19/03 at 20:36 (109912)

Hi Leon,

I posted this further down the page, fully believing it was true. It was pointed out to me that it could be an urban legend. I'm quite familia with urban legends, and would never have posted it if I was positve thats what it was. I went to the two sites provided, and neither really convinced me that it was an urban legend.

I then went to the Dept. of Energy web site, and searched for over an hour, looking for this information. The web site is so big, I just could not find it. So, I checked, and still do not know if this boycott is entirely correct. Until I find out for sure, one way or the other, I will not buy gas from the stations listed above, that may be supplied with Middle Eastern gas.

Re: Gas boycott

Nancy N on 2/19/03 at 20:47 (109917)

Snopes.com is THE source online for urban legend information. It trounces all the rest. I have yet to encounter more than about two mass-forwarded emails that had any credibility to them at all--the rule of thumb is that if you're asked to forward to 'everyone you know,' you should instead immediately hit the 'delete' button. These types of emails are suspect unless proven otherwise.

Sorry. It's an urban legend. If nothing else convinces you, there's the fact that the email is well over a year old. If it were real, you'd have heard something about it on the mainstream news a long time ago.

Re: What's the reason for this?

Julie on 2/20/03 at 02:37 (109967)

Nancy, you've posted about this phenomenon before, and I've taken note of it and always delete (I never 'send messages to ten friends' even when requested to by people I know, as I'm usually annoyed when I receive them) but this time I've perked my ears up. Why do you think these mass emails get started? Is it a form of internet sabotage, people latching onto issues that people are worked up about and intentionally stimulating masses of posts with the aim of clogging the system?

Excuse the question if it's (a) unnecessarily paranoid or (b) naive.

Nancy N on 2/20/03 at 06:01 (109974)

I don't know why they get started. I know some of them are done by folks who are completely well-intentioned and just don't know any better (the 'save PBS' email petition from a few years ago is a good example--two college kids who thought it was a great way to get support for PBS, not realizing that email petitions are completely unverifiable and therefore useless). They find out the hard way when their email boxes are flooded with so much mail that their administrators cancel their account.

But that doesn't explain things like the missing child emails that are completely fake (if a child were really missing, you'd have heard about it already on the news, and the email would either come from the police or would include some sort of contact info for them, otherwise even if you've seen the child, there's no way to do anything about it). I suppose they are the work of some sad soul with nothing better to do than find amusement in the panic and concern of average people. But I don't know.

I suspect an email like this one is the product of an indignant person who found out just enough information to be outraged but not enough to have a solid suggestion. But it's hard to say. It's written in such an overly sensationalist style (as are the rest of them), that it could be a prankster seeing how much unnecessary panic he can generate. It's hard to tell.

But the only thing these emails really do is clog up email systems and inboxes, and take advantage of the good intentions of average people, which is a shame.

Kathy G on 2/20/03 at 09:12 (109991)

I agree, Nancy. I think many of these mass mailings or petitions are created by someone who genuinely believes in the purpose he is espousing. But maybe I'm naive. I don't know.

And, like Julie, I never pass any such email along. I especially hate the ones I get that are similar to the old-fashioned chain letters. These claim that if you don't mail out the email in 'x' number of hours, some terrible thing will happen to you, or on the flip side, some wonderful thing will happen to you if you do. I get quite annoyed when I receive mail like that!

Leon S on 2/20/03 at 09:23 (109997)

My apologies to all. My son is usually a good barometer of the validity of these messages and he concurred with those of you who said that my original message was bogus...It sounded good though...And more importantly, didn't we forget about our feet for a few minutes?

Re: From the Department of Energy - More information

BrianG on 2/21/03 at 18:03 (110224)

Hey Leon,

I would not say the chain letter is completely bogus. I went back to the person who sent it to me, who did some digging. He went to the Dept. of Energy web site, and was able to find the information we have been looking for. It is a little different from the original message, but parts are right on. Two of the companies that were reported as not importing ANY Middle Eastern oil, actually imported only 2% of their oil from the Persian Gulf. Those companies are BP Oil and Sunoco. Since they are in my area, I will patronize them both. Every little bit helps!

BrianG, the chart below is cut and pasted from the web.

Crude Oil Imports From Persian Gulf 2002  
(Thousands of Barrels)
Company Total Persian Gulf % Persian Gulf
MOTIVA ENTERPRISES LLC 126,969106,397 84%
CHEVRON CORP 124,84370,614 57%
PHILLIPS 66 CO 110,17211,872 11%
EXXON CO USA 104,96639,332 37%
SUNOCO INC 103,6252,428 2%
MOBIL OIL CORP 100,2766,029 6%
VALERO MKTG & SUPPLY CO 84,89560,212 71%
AMOCO OIL CO 80,63315,236 19%
CITGO PETRO CORP 62,1808,593 14%
LYONDELL CITGO REFG LP 45,5515,621 12%
PHILLIPS PETRO CO 42,4606,915 16%
PORT ARTHUR COKER CO 32,4442,969 9%
BP OIL SUPPLY CO 25,359524 2%
ORION RFNG CORP 24,183918 4%
MURPHY OIL USA INC 20,4832,963 14%
ARCO PROD CO 16,1144,242 26%
FINA OIL & CHEM CO 8,8824,039 45%
ULTRAMAR INC 7,881632 8%
LION OIL CO 5,4485,448 100%
TPI PETRO INC 5,4414,472 82%
KOCH SUPPLY & TRDG CO 4,9221,039 21%
BAYOIL USA INC 2,9652,965 100%

Persian Gulf includes = Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates.
File last modified: 11/27/2002
Need Help?
phone: 202-586-8800
email: (email removed)
Specialized Services from NEICFor Technical Problems
phone: 202-586-8959
email:wmaster@eia.doe.gov      Energy Information Administration, EI 30
1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20585 
Home (PIPE) Petroleum (PIPE) Gasoline (PIPE) Diesel (PIPE) Propane (PIPE) Natural Gas (PIPE) Electricity (PIPE) Coal (PIPE) NuclearRenewables (PIPE) Alternative Fuels (PIPE) Prices (PIPE) States (PIPE) International (PIPE) Country Analysis BriefsEnvironment (PIPE) Analyses (PIPE) Forecasts (PIPE) Processes (PIPE) Sectors

Re: From the Department of Energy - More information

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/21/03 at 18:49 (110237)

Thanks for the info. Does not seem like a lot of good choices for those of us in the Northwest. We have Texaco/Chevron, Shell, Arco, Costco and a few BP stations. Looks like BP is going to be it.