Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Had ESWT done in Houston Tx on Jan 31

Posted by Jerry F on 2/19/03 at 22:39 (109945)

Approved by my insurance United Health Care. They gave me an I.V. which knocked me completely out.

In summary, I have a heal spur which was caused by P.F. on my right foot and have P.F. on my left. Orothics erased the pain in my left foot and but my right foot still had an acute pain like a tack stuck in the middle of the heel. I tried the stretching, the shots, the ice, and still pain mostly when I golf or stand still for a long time. I also run and normally feel no pain when running or walking. My weight is 165#, I stand 5'11'.

Before today and since the process, the foot has been tender and the pain is different than the acute centalized pain described above. More like all over the heel yet very manageable although I am afraid to do any kind of activity that will put pressure on it ( been swimming and doing the weight machines at the gym where the foot is not stressed). Today, I sorta feel that tack feeling again and therefore I am discouraged.

Re: Had ESWT done in Houston Tx on Jan 31

Jerry F on 2/19/03 at 22:53 (109951)

I am also disappointed that after 3 weeks come Friday I can tell it is too tender to do anything. If I have to wait 3 months to start my activities then I question the process. The recovery time seems longer than the conventional surgury.

Mar on 2/20/03 at 07:22 (109976)

Jerry --
If you are pain free in 3 months, it is well worth the wait! ESWT(PIPE) is certainly safer than surgery. Do you think you would be active a couple of weeks after surgery??? Believe me, all us PF sufferers know that patience is not easy, but try to be patient and give your body a chance to heal. Stick close to the board for support and encouragement -- it is important and helps. Good luck -- Mar

dave r on 2/20/03 at 09:20 (109995)

How right you are Mar! i am sure that the doctors will tell you that it takes up to 12 weeks or more to heel from eswt. For some eswt doesnt help. Right Mar!

SteveG on 2/20/03 at 11:41 (110031)

Mar and Dave are absolutely right. You are very early in the process, and surgery has a long post-op period in an attempt to get you to heal and to prevent any complications. With ESWT, you get off the table and go home the same afternoon.

Jerry F on 2/20/03 at 16:08 (110086)

Thanks for the encouragement but I would like to see more people post that have recovered completely using the Ossatron method. I was told 82% recovery just before I went in for the treatment. IF I dont recover I will report it to my insurance comapny as a waste of time at least in my case.

Mar on 2/20/03 at 17:58 (110122)

Well, Dave and I are 2 who haven't recovered from ESWT. I'm still ready to try a 3rd round when my doctor thinks it is time. We'd all like to hear from those who have recovered using ESWT, but unfortunately they don't come on the board. They're out running and walking!! Even if i never recover using it, I still would not hesitate to recommend it because it is noninvasive and certainly worth a shot and boasts a good success rate. Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/21/03 at 14:48 (110191)

Jerry:
The goal of ESWT is to allow (or induce) your body to rebuild the plantar fascia with healthier tissue. That is a far better long term outcome than with surgery. The recovery time for surgery ranges from 6 weeks to 6 months and has only fair predictability as to the outcome and recovery period.
Ed

Jerry F on 2/21/03 at 16:40 (110208)

I started a new thread on the subject and will do a weekly update. I have been reading up on the surgery and now I feel I did the right thing but I dont think I will do 2 treatments if this one does not work. I will do all I can to ensure I give the heel every opportunity to heal.

This procedure is truly the practice of medicine ;)

dave r on 2/23/03 at 09:12 (110458)

you should wait 9 months and then reevaluate your position.