Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery went well!!

Posted by Marty on 2/20/03 at 00:12 (109962)

Hello everyone,

7 years of this pain and now hopefully only one years left. HOPEFULLY

I just came out of surgery 6 hours ago and the doctor founder 3 varicose veins in the TTS tunnel along with an entrap nerve in my heel spur. So far so good, no pain not allot of drainage. I'm just trying to mentally gear up for the pain that will awaken like a monster from the dark deep abyss.

I have a question, is 5-325mg of percocet going to enough to keep this pain under control? Not sure what the 5 in front of the 325 means? I can to up to 2 if needed every 4 to 6 hours.

I want to thanks all those who have helped me out. There have a many who have really been a great help. This board is awesome!!!

Thanks,

Marty

Re: surgery went well!!

nancy s. on 2/20/03 at 01:02 (109965)

that's great to hear, marty -- congratulations on getting through it, and i wish you the very best of luck for a full recovery.

others can no doubt answer your med question better, but i thought i'd tell you that i sometimes take a percocet for shoulder pain (i had two frozen shoulders for a long time and have residual pain some nights). my dosage is 5-500 mg. i take only one now when i need it, but at the height i took two for a short while, which was what my doc recommended for acute frozen shoulder pain.

even one of the 5-500s does have an effect, but if i were you i'd seriously consider jumping right in to take two at a time, with your lower-strength capsules and so soon after surgery. don't let the pain get ahead of you; you can always cut back as your healing begins.

again, good luck and welcome back.

nancy

Re: I just had my surgery too

janh on 2/20/03 at 08:37 (109983)

Mine was last Monday the 17th. I am glad to have it over with. One thing though, I have PF in the other foot too, so it makes it hard to depend on it for walking. I also am taking the same dose of Percoset-it seems to be working well. I am alowed to take two at a time and am trying to cut down now. Two works pretty well though and sorta puts me in la la land. Hope you can keep in touch and let us know your progress.

Marty on 2/20/03 at 09:04 (109987)

I have both pf and tts in the other foot too and like you that's going to make it harder on that foot. I have a wheel chair for when I go back to work but don't plan on using it here at home. Don't plan on doing nothing but stay right here in my bed.

Best wishes to you Jan,

Marty

dave r on 2/20/03 at 09:11 (109990)

Hi Marty, great to here that your doctor found something wrong. I hope that you are on the road to recovery. How long will you be off of work? I just had pf surgery and i am doing well. i am using a wheelchair to get aroud. It is so much easier than crutches.

Re: Well I made it through my first night.

Marty on 2/20/03 at 09:28 (109998)

Well I made it through my first night. I slept from 4am to 7am. I feel the was super duper good!

I have pain all along the bottom of my foot but the area giving me the worst pain is my toes, ball of foot and the top arch area. I think my wrapping might be on a bit to tight. I repeatedly told the surgeon to make it loose since even a sock make my foot burn and like heck but nope didn't do it. I asked him afterwards about it and he said it's on tight to keep the swelling down. My toes don't look blue or anything so I don't think its that tight but boy I sure would like to just rip everything off right about now! Don't worry 'me not do'

I'm icing 30 min on 30 min off per doctors instructions but I really don't see how it's helping much with first my wrappings and this big strap on cast. He put me right into the one that goes from my upper calf and sticks out past my toes about 3 inches. Seem 2 really be keeping things stable.

Marty

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 09:29 (109999)

Marty,

3 varicose veins AND a nerve trapped in your heelspur! No wonder you've been in so much pain! I sure hope this will take care of all your foot and ankle problems, Marty.

As for the Percocet: Nancy S gave you good advice. For the record, the Percocet you're taking is a combination of 325mg Tylenol (acetaminophen) and 5mg of oxycodone (the oxycodone is the main pain releiver). If you take two of these, you'll be getting 650mg of Tylenol, or the equivalent of 2 REGULAR (not Extra-)Strength Tylenols and 10mg of oxycodone.

Oxycodone is for 'moderate to severe pain'. Its more common side effects include sedation, sleepiness, clouded senses, dizziness, lightheadedness, low blood pressure, nausea, and vomiting. Its most SERIOUS (but not common) side effects include abnormally slow heart rate and depressed respiration -- and if you think you're having one of THOSE effects from it, you should call your doctor immediately.

I hope this helps, Marty. Again, good luck to you!

Sharon

Marty on 2/20/03 at 09:34 (110001)

Hi Dave, hope your doing well! I will be off work at least one week and I do have a wheel chair too. If I don't remember wrong from your posts you have 2 weeks off right? If I can't make it 8 hours at work I'll just have my wife come get me. I have a desk job and my boss is great! I think I will be ok if not I'll take more off.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Marty

Ps. Do you have it in both feet!

dave r on 2/20/03 at 09:48 (110003)

i will be off of work for at least 6 weeks and i too have a desk job. So far it has been 13 days. Pretty boring around here. Are you icing your foot.Do you have a cast on? Icing for me was very helpful. Especially the first couple of days. I was applying ice around the clock. Even while i slept. otherwise it was pretty hard to keep up with the swelling.

dave r on 2/20/03 at 09:51 (110004)

Sounds like you have the same type of cast that i did. I found that if i filled a large freezer bag full of ice and wrapped it on top of the cast that it kept my foot cool. Even through the cast. use a very large back and fill it up completely with ice. It should lat all day long. Works great at night to!

Marty on 2/20/03 at 09:56 (110006)

Yes veins and nerve entrapment can you believe it! I will deal with why my little toes are always numb and all the when this is all over. The Neuro took all my blood tests and they should be getting back the end of this week. But I'm so glad now that my pod talked my into doing this because yeppers he was right, there was stuff going.

Thanks for the information Sharon, your just oozing with knowledge. That's why the doctor told me not to take Tylenol with it. I can get what ever I need but so far just one of these baby's is enough. The neuro gave me some other pain killers, can't remember what they are but I have not needed to use them at all. The pod knows what they are and it's safe to take them along with what I'm taking now. I will double check if I need.

Marty

Marty on 2/20/03 at 10:12 (110008)

I have been icing but I do have a strap on dressing boot. I don't dare undo the straps and put ice under it so I've just been getting minimal benefit. The doctor is real big on no movement at all, I guess more so then ice. Kind of weird since I've been so big on icing for so many years, really helps as you know. I just want to take it all off and ice that baby real good!!!! But I wont of course.

Marty

Marty on 2/20/03 at 10:17 (110010)

GREAT IDEA!! JUST SENT THE WIFE TO MAKE ON UP. She's already back and wrapping it on. LOL

Thanks Dave

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 10:21 (110012)

Marty,

Actually, the LIMIT for how much Tylenol is safe to take at one time, is 1000mg. (More than that can be very toxic for your liver!) So please keep in mind that if you take TWO of your Percocets, you are getting 650mg of the Tylenol, leaving only 350mg. And MOST of the prescription painkillers these days do contain Tylenol, so if you decide to take whatever your neuro prescribed in addition to the Percocets, please DO check to find out how much acetaminophen each one of those other pills contains. (You can always ask me, if it doesn't say how much it is on the bottle).

Sharon

Marty on 2/20/03 at 10:36 (110017)

Ok I will, I'm taking percocet and the other drug is ultracet. I guessing the 'cet' at the end is the same same?

lauriel on 2/20/03 at 10:47 (110019)

Marty, glad to hear things are going well. Lucky you and the wheel chair! I wish I had one, I think it should be mandetory with this type of surgery! I thought WWIII was going to break out with my husband helping me with every little thing for over a month! Luckily he was between jobs and able to help 24/7. You mentioned you are going to work next week since you have a desk job. Are you and can you use your wheel chair at work? I was given the go ahead to go to work after one week. I went back but didnt last long. The reason is I couldnt keep my foot elevated. My foot would throb and swell leaving it in the down position. If I had a way like being in a wheel chair so I could keep elevated until the foot was ready, (not like above the heart or anything) would have really benefited. And I was told to keep it elevated above heart for 48 hours right after surgery, but basicly did this the whole week after which really helped with the swelling. wishing you well on your continued recovery
Laurie

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 10:57 (110021)

Yes, I'm pretty sure Ultracet is Ultram plus acetaminophen (Tylenol) -- although I can't verify that one with my nursing drug reference because Ultracet is more recent than my book! So unfortunately, I can't tell you how many mg of acetaminophen are in each pill -- does it say how many mg somewhere on your prescription bottle?

Sharon

Re: wheel chair

Marty on 2/20/03 at 12:49 (110053)

How long ago was your sugary? Do you still have pain at work? If so can you like take a cardboard box to work and put a pillow on it so you can put it under your desk to put your foot on?

I'm renting a wheel chair for $30.00 a week or $100 a month. My wife called around and found it. I know for many this is allot for many but I have been saving for this day. I'm fortunate

Best wishes,

Marty

dave r on 2/20/03 at 13:04 (110055)

my surgery was 13 days ago. I am using the wheel chair right now. i also have a box under my desk at work that i rest my foot on.

Marty on 2/20/03 at 13:42 (110063)

Yes I think your right. I don't want to the ultram at all. I'll just call the doc it i need somthing, he can call it in.

Thanks

Ps. here's some sites the pn'ers and others gave me, you probably have many.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs
http://www.herblibrary.com/
http://www.pain.com/frameindex.cfm
http://www.teleemg.com/Anatomy/QuickAnatomy/pnsqa.htm
http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/
http://www.medicalmultimediagroup.com/pated/foot_problems.html (good)0
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

Marty on 2/20/03 at 13:48 (110064)

Dave,

So you don't put up the leg piece on your wheel chair or doesn't your wheel chair have one? Is it better to use a box instead of the leg extensions?

Marty

Re: Thanks, Marty!

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 15:13 (110072)

That looks like a useful list; I'll check it out.

I went to see neuro #3 this last Monday, by the way. He seems much better, much more thorough, than the first two, but we will see... So far what he has done is a remarkably complete office examination, plus doubling my Neurontin (no, I know better than to increase the dose all at once, not that he bothered explaining that to me -- I think maybe he's not that much of a 'people person,' if you know what I mean).

But next Tuesday he's going to do nerve conduction tests, and not just on my feet -- all over the place. You know how THAT is -- on one hand, you hope he won't FIND anything, because anthing he found would be bad news... But on the other hand, you're a bit afraid that he WON'T find anything, too -- because that would make it look like you've made up all your symptoms. Ugh. Those tests are NO FUN, either... Anyway I'll let you know how those tests turn out.

Sharon

lauriel on 2/20/03 at 15:27 (110075)

Marty, I had my surgery 2 and a half months ago. I thought of the box for me but the way my desk is it wouldnt have worked, but that is a great idea. I was at work on the third week with no problem. I dont know if your insurance is paying for the chair, or how long you can keep it, and even though I complained about not having a wheelchair and how much I wished I had one, when I first had the surgery, I want one even more so now. (I am going stir crazy) Its because I am still pretty immobile. I have to use crutches to do stuff like grocery shopping, and stuff like that and the little automated carts at the stores work great. I can walk around home and office with no problem and no crutches (except for this week when I overstretched the area that caused hopefully only a minor problem.) I just want to get outdoors I want my husband to take me for a walk! If had a wheel chair I could do this!
Laurie

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 15:32 (110077)

Lauriel,

I don't know what your money situation is, of course, but it really didn't cost that much when I rented a wheelchair after my surgery. In fact, the regular price for a month's rent on a wheelchair without an (elevated) foot support was like $25.

And it was well worth the money!

Sharon

lauriel on 2/20/03 at 15:39 (110078)

Wow that is cheap. Two places I called I think they wanted $500.00 for a month I thought what are these cadillacs or what! I am going to recheck this.
Thanks Laurie

Marty on 2/20/03 at 15:41 (110079)

Oh thanks so much for letting me know how things are going. I asked you a few days ago how your hand was doing but I didn't know if you wanted to post about or not. Is it still clawing up?

Glad you have had better luck at the neuro. Man my last visit made me so mad that I woke up at 1:30 am and never made it back to bed. : -( 3 visits and nothing but attitudes sheesh. I remember about the first 2 you went to. I know you wont but don't give up
!

I wish you luck next Tuesday and you know what ...... not sure but ... I hope they don't find anything cause that could be bad news. Who know though not knowing is bad too. : (

Best Wishes,

Marty

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 15:41 (110080)

Were the wheelchairs you were looking at the motorized kind? Because, what I meant was just the plain old-fashioned hand-pushed kind...

Sharon

Marty on 2/20/03 at 15:53 (110082)

Wow great attitude! Don't know if I'm going out on my block in my wheel chair. Anyway I'm renting mine for 25.00 a week if I get a month and 30.00 is the weekly rate. I doubt it has a leg support on it, I think I will call and ask. The wife found the place for me and called bless her hurt. She's been lying here by my side all day reading her book. I know she would love to get out of the house but can't talk her into it.

So you can do some normal walking right without any aid?

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 16:02 (110083)

Yeah, Marty,

I know exactly what you mean! It really is hard to know quite what to hope for. One thing for sure, though, I'm hoping for a complete and accurate diagnosis this time!

Anyway, thanks so much for your support and your kind words; they mean a lot to me, and it's especially nice of you considering what you're going through right now yourself.

The claw hand thing does seem to be doing a lot better since the recent increase in Neurontin. Or, perhaps the claw hand thing was all about stress, after all... I am a LITTLE bit less stressed out these days as the grief over my sister's death becomes a little bit less new and raw.

Sharon

dave r on 2/20/03 at 16:04 (110084)

actually i sit on the couch as often as i can with my foot elevated and iced alot. the last two days i am able to rest my foot flat on the floor for periods of up to 15 minutes. I am also doing some of julies strteches now to. It seems to be helping. i took a few more steps today to without any pain.

dave r on 2/20/03 at 16:07 (110085)

Marty how is the ice treating you. Did your wife get you that big bag of ice?

lauriel on 2/20/03 at 16:36 (110092)

I think they misquoted, I called again and they said said 50$ a month So now if I can convince my husband to push it. I would roll it myself but my tendonitis really flared up with using the crutches.

Laurie

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 16:43 (110093)

Believe me, I understand that too :-(

I have something going on with my hands these days, as well, and it's driving me NUTS not to be able to use my hands and wrists as I normally would!

Anyway, I guess all that remains is to find out if your husband is willing to push. I saw your recent post, about the area behind your tarsal tunnel flaring up... It would be SO nice for you, if at least part of the time you were able to SIT instead of being on your feet while they are so sensitive.

Sharon

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 17:13 (110104)

Ultracet tablets (each) contain 37.5mg tramadol and 325mg acetaminophen (Tylenol). So, since your surgeon told you they were safe to take with Percocet, and since the 650mg of Tylenol in the Percocet PLUS the 325mg of Tylenol in the Ultracet add up to only 985mg of Tylenol in total (less than 1000, in any case), it SHOULD be safe to take 2 Percocets and 1 Ultracet together, if the pain starts getting really bad in the middle of the night or whatever.

Sharon

Marty on 2/20/03 at 17:39 (110113)

are you out of your boot? how can you do stretches with it on?

Marty on 2/20/03 at 17:41 (110114)

yes she did, not sure if it's helping or not? doesn't feel any cooler to me??

Marty on 2/20/03 at 17:44 (110116)

Sure think your a trooper Sharon! You're going through allot. How much neurontin are you taking now? I'm up to 2400mg a day.

Marty on 2/20/03 at 17:50 (110119)

I think i will call and awaken him if I have to, just to make sure. Don't you think? I do have his cel number.

The main pain is the bandage, its to tight on the top where my foot meet my leg. You know right where it bends. Toes look ok so I don't know if I'm in any risk from it???

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 19:35 (110132)

Mine will only be 1800, but I'm not there yet, I'm raising it slow. It's only 1200 so far.

How are you feeling tonight, Marty?

Sharon

Sharon W on 2/20/03 at 19:43 (110133)

If you think the top where your foot meets your leg might actually be CONSTRICTED, then you're right -- it could be cutting off your circulation which is something you don't want. Best to jot things down that you need to know ahead of time (those pain meds do tend to make people forgetful!) and then make sure you ask everything you need to know at the same time. And in any case, be sure to call the Dr. BEFORE he actually goes to bed... they don't get as grumpy that way!

Sharon

Marty on 2/20/03 at 21:44 (110146)

My spirits are high and so is the pain. tts release point is waking up, the pf release still sleeping. It said hi earlier but was tired and went back to sleep LOL

I did call the doctor and he told me loosen up that brown sticky type tape that's under the wrap and on top on the gauss. Your right I didn't write down what I was to ask him. Once he started in on how to take the boot off and things I freaked out and lost my train on thought. I forgot to ask him about taking the 2 different drugs that we talked about eelier. LoL That's ok, he told me I could call anytime. I think tomorrow will be fine and who knows I might be doing better. :)

dave r on 2/21/03 at 09:00 (110159)

My cast felt the same way until the swelling went down. when do you see him next?

Marty on 2/21/03 at 15:33 (110198)

I go in monday. Swelling is less today.

Dave did you ever like undo the straps by you toes and put an ice bad in there?

dave r on 2/22/03 at 09:15 (110288)

No, i was able to get some relief with ice cooling the cast off. At least you will probably get that dam thing off in a couple of days like i did. My foot was never at 90 degrees either. My foot was acyually sort of pointed down that first week in the cast. Now that i have the cast off my foot is wrapped up so i really cant bend it up to 90 degrees yet. that should change in a couple of days when i get my stitches out. Marty do you know hoh much of the fascia was released?

Re: i think 30%

Marty on 2/22/03 at 11:27 (110319)

Man I'm glad you told me your foot wasn't at a 90 either. Sharon said hers wasn't either so maybe I can quit worrying about it. LOL

As far as how much fascia was released, man I wish I could remember. The doctor told me right when I was coming to and all I remember is that I was so happy when he told me that I had varicose veins in my tarsal tunnel. I told him there was going to be and he said he really doubted it. (So it was kind of a non formal bet going on) LOL If I remember correctly he told me I had an nerve entrapment in the heel spur, that it was thinker then normal and I think he release like 30 percent (posterior). I go in Monday so I will find out then more detail.

He cut 40 to 50% on yours right? Man I can't believe you got you're cast off so soon. Wasn't it only 2 weeks?

Re: i think 30%

dave r on 2/22/03 at 15:18 (110392)

i had my cast on for one week. i have been in a cam walker now for another week. Monday i get my stitches out. So far i am doing pretty good. i use a wheel cahir to get around the house. i havent had to ice my foot in two days. I havent taken any pain killers or aspirin in over a week.. i am starting to put some weight on my foot now. I am also doing some very simple stretches. So far its healing well. My incision doesnt hurt at all. I only have some irratation of the central fibers of the fascia. yes the docot said that between 30 and 50 percent of my fascia was cut. Are you going nuts yet at home? Did you have a heelspur too? Did your doctor remove the spur? Or was your fascia just inflammed?

Re: removed heel spur too

Marty on 2/22/03 at 19:49 (110421)

Yes I'm going crazy but I went for a ride today in the car. I went with wife to pick up my wheel chair for work. I sat in the back of the derange with my foot elevated. I also took a bath with my foot up on a bucket.

I'm doing real well. No pain at all today! But it's 6:30pm and it's starting to burn a bit. I'm 1-1/2 hours behind on my neurontin crap that sucks!

Doctor did remove the spur along with the nerve that was entrapped in it. It was a bit enflamed he said too. Not sure about that I was real out of it when he told me. But I'm pretty sure. I think he told me I will have some numbness in my heel forever. I can deal with that. Also took out 3 varicose veins in the tts release. He said I have a 1-1/2 incision for the pf and like a 6 to 8 inch incision for the tts. Told me he had to make it longer the normal.

Man I have 3 weeks non weight bearing, your lucky! Glad to hear your doing well. The 'irritation of the central fibers of the fascia' is probably from it taking more of the weight now you think?

Re: dave

Marty on 2/22/03 at 19:58 (110422)

Social board has gone insane! Have you been there lately? I haven't posted there in like 2 weeks it's to out of control. Sheesh

Re: Numb heel

Sharon W on 2/22/03 at 20:37 (110425)

Marty,

If he took out that calcaneal nerve then yes, part of your heel will be numb forever. My pod was thinking of doing that because my heel had kept throbbing, and NOT at the PF insertion point. Anyway, she looked at that nerve but it seemed in pretty good shape so she left it alone.

Glad to hear you haven't been in pain today!!

How about the swelling, though -- do you think it may be going down a little bit? My pod told me there is always a lot of swelling when veins have to be removed.

Sharon

Re: throbbin heel

Marty on 2/22/03 at 22:19 (110434)

Sharon,

Can't wait till I can get in to see the doctor and find out what he had to actually do.

Yes the swelling is going down. Once I loosened the wrapping it all started to drain. I'm so glad he put in that drain. I have filled up 7 vials with fluid so far. Boy what a diiferance I think it has made with regaurds to the viens that were removed. But I bet it's going to hurt like heck when he pulls it out. :(

Does your heal still throb or did that go away with the tts release? My heal throbbed only when I would get up in the night to use the bathroom. The location was at the back of the heal for me.

Right now the only sensations I have are that my toes and the ball of my foot tingles and burn a bit and I hope that's it's not pn, only time will tell. They are not swollen at all. Last night I had to take 2 percocet due to the burning caused by the boot. It was burning on the outside portion of my leg under the boot, no where near the nerves in question. This was my biggest concern with wearing this thing. I kept telling the pod there would be now way I could wear it but I guess so far I have been able to. But let me tell you it was a pretty bad flare up that's for sure. Thank goodness for neurontin and percocet.

Re: throbbin heel

Sharon W on 2/23/03 at 00:12 (110449)

Marty,

Yeah, I've never taken Percocet but for me Neurontin has been almost a miracle drug. Worked way better than I ever expected it to. Only problem is, I have to keep increasing the dosages...

Not that I should be complaining about the increase; I've been feeling much better since that new Neuro upped the Neurontin, and I still have another 600mg/day increase to go! Anyway, after those nerve conduction tests this Tues. hopefully I'll know a lot more about what's going on. I'll post you an update then. (I'm still pretty nervous about those tests.)

Yeah the thing on the social board is incredible. Can't believe so many level-headed people have been at each other's throats! I just hope none of the harm done will turn out to be permanent.

No, my heel doesn't throb any more, not at all, although it continued to bug me for several months after surgery while everything was still healing up. I think the throbbing was probably the blood pulsing through all those varicose veins inside my tarsal tunnel putting too much pressure on the nerve. At least that's my theory about it. The pain did seem to have the rhythm of a heartbeat.

Right now, EVERY part of your foot and ankle is probably under pressure from all the swelling, and swelling can cause nerve pain and numbness. So I wouldn't worry too much just yet about that burning on the outside of your leg, unless it starts to get really bad.

Remember, you have just had some pretty major nerve surgery, and you're likely to be getting some weird nervy symptoms for a while. After my surgery I got some shooting pains up my leg like I had at the worst part of my TTS, before Neurontin, and my foot was numb a lot of the time for the first 10 days or so. I was worried about it, at the time, but it turned out OK.

Sharon

Re: neurontin

Marty on 2/23/03 at 10:24 (110465)

Hey Sharon,

What are you talking the neurontion for? Is it your hands that are giving you the most trouble? Since I increased it last month all the burning in my hands has disappeared completely and I really think it has made a world of difference with this surgery. I haven't got any of the shooting pains that the doctor told me were going to happen. What a relieve! You know me a worry a bit. LOL The wife says only about certain things though. Hee hee

I hope this new neuro is going to address your needs unlike the other 2 turkey's. Just keep telling yourself they like to walk on water and that's fine as long as the walk right on over to you! LOL Who knows maybe all that water walking amounts to a good neuro. When is your md having her baby? You still have a ways to wait don't you?

Did your Pod put in a drain? I have not read anyone talking about such a thing. I woke up and there it was and I'm glad it's there, but don't know what it's going to be like having it removed.

I sure hope things get under control on the social board soon, with so many intelligent people here at heel spur dot com it sure can make for some interesting posts. I've been to some of the other site and you got to say this site is really cool. Everyone willing to help each other out.

Marty

Sharon W on 2/23/03 at 12:53 (110484)

Originally I was taking Neurontin for TTS. Now I don't know, really, what I'm taking it for (-- I STILL don't have a proper diagnosis, after all!) I just know that whenever I forget to take it on time, I feel horrible. As long as I take it on schedule, my feet almost never burn and they don't even tingle all that much -- and since the Neurontin got increased,(I know Neurontin isn't supposed to do THIS, but it does for me) the clumsiness and weakness and occasional cramping and tingling in my hands has gotten much better. Even the tightness and aching in my back and shoulders is feeling a lot better!

That really sounds like a litany of woes from a whining hypochondriac, doesn't it?? Yet I am actually quite stoic. Had a baby by 'natural childbirth,' no anesthesia or painkillers whatsoever. And I don't carry on about 'my poor aching tooth' after a root canal, either...

Never mind, I'm just rambling now. At least, I can blame it all on the Neurontin!

Sharon

Marty on 2/23/03 at 13:54 (110494)

You are stoic Sharon, You hardly ever talk about your own woes. Hyochoncdriac and stoic as you know so that neurontin doing somthing. I know it sure is for me. So blame it on the Neurontin ;-)

Re: About that drain, Marty

Sharon W on 2/23/03 at 21:20 (110560)

Drains are not always used after surgery, but what you had done was a LOT. They are used whenever the Dr. thinks there will be enough fluid buildup (once it swells) to be dangerous.

What color is the fluid that comes off of it?

Sharon

Marty on 2/23/03 at 23:56 (110572)

dark red 1st day, light red now, mostly water like fluid.

Sharon W on 2/24/03 at 07:01 (110573)

OK then, first day there was some actual bleeding, but now what you're getting is just serous fluid, which is not blood and is basically the liquid from swelling. You are right that the drain has probably saved you some misery!

I don't think I would say that taking out that drain causes NO pain at all -- but it won't be too bad, and at most it should only take a couple heartbeats to remove, so so't worry about it.

Sharon

Rose M. on 2/24/03 at 10:42 (110588)

I haven't had my surgery as yet, but last week my husband found a wheel chair for me at the swap meet for $50.00. That is another avenue. I have been practicing using it, but it is hard on the soft carpet.

Pauline on 2/24/03 at 12:08 (110595)

Good job on that wheel chair find. Around here many senior centers will allow people to borrow them for a while without charge. Others needing one and who are not lucky enough get one might consider trying a senior center to see if they will allow you to borrow one.

Their supply of items comes from donations of used equipment from seniors who have passed away or needed something different as their conditions changed.

It's a good resource to remember.

Marty on 2/24/03 at 15:16 (110623)

I didn't think to call around, could of save $60

Marty on 2/24/03 at 15:18 (110624)

Hey Rose,

Do you post on the neuropathy web sight? I know a Rose there.

Rose M. on 2/25/03 at 09:36 (110681)

That's not me.