Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is it?

Posted by Kath E on 2/20/03 at 00:27 (109963)

My son and I have been told we have a condition called 'Meralgia Paraesthetica'. My son has it in his left foot and I have it in both feet and it is extremly painful. I have had it since May 2002 and I am still trying to find a website etc.. or someone who can tell me more about it, as my doctor hasn't told me much about this condition only that it is hereditory. If you have any knowledge regarding this condition please contact me on my e-mail address. Thanking you Kathleen.

Re: What is it?

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/21/03 at 16:37 (110207)

Meralgia Paresthetica is a condition that causes pain and burning in the lateral aspect of the thighs, and is caused by an entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneuous nerve. The entrapment is usually at the area of the inguinal ligament. My experience with this is minimal, since it is usually seen by orthopedists or neurologists. Although a nerve entrapment can in theory cause pain more distal (further down the leg), I'm not aware of this condition causing foot pain. I believe that it classically presents with pain and burning at the outer aspect of the thigh, and I'm also not aware of any hereditary component. It is usually diagnosed via clinical symptoms, although an EMG/NVC may also be used. I would recommend that you see a neurologist for a second opinion, especially if the pain is restricted to the feet. That doesn't sound like meralgia paresthetica. Keep me filled in and let me know what type of doctor made the diagnosis.

Re: What is it?PLEASE REPLY

KATHLEEN EYERS on 2/22/03 at 22:36 (110438)

MY NAME IS KATHLEEN EYERS OF EASTWOOD I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO REPLY TO MY EMAIL THANK YOU KATHLEEN