Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who feels more pain?

Posted by Sharon W on 2/21/03 at 13:33 (110179)

Something different:

Were you BORN to be either a 'stoic' or a 'wimp'?

Check this out:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20030221/ap_on_he_me/stoics_wimps&e=5

The article was written by LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer, and was published in Yahoo News.

A group of researchers claim to have found a genetic 'reason' for why one person, having had the exactly same surgery as someone else and being at the exact same stage of healing, needs more painkillers and more time off work than someone else.

I was particularly interested in this paragraph:
'Why would a gene that regulates dopamine also affect painkilling endorphins? Too much dopamine in the brain reduces endorphin content, Zubieta explained. People with the double-val gene make a very potent COMT enzyme that clears out dopamine rapidly, triggering more endorphin production, while people with the double-met gene have the opposite reaction.'

Who knows, someday perhaps genetic testing will be able to detect this at an early age and doctors will know to give drugs that regulate dopamine to control the pain of anyone who has the 'wimp' genetic code!

Sharon

Re: Who feels more pain?

Bev N on 2/21/03 at 14:13 (110183)

Have many of you been put on antidepressants for your severe chronic pain ? I have read often that it helps in our type of chronic pain. Maybe it is an idea for 'wimps' like me. Bev

Sharon W on 2/21/03 at 14:23 (110185)

That seems very possible. I think this new research is important and that it may eventually help to prevent people in terrible pain from being considered 'hypochondriacs,' at least by their own doctors!

Sharon

nancy s. on 2/21/03 at 14:36 (110186)

i have, bev, and i only wish i'd done it sooner. clinical depression is terrible, and if you're genetically oriented that way, chronic pain can send you right into a black pit.

Re: Note to Bev

SteveG on 2/21/03 at 14:41 (110189)

Bev - Many of the old antidepressants are used to treat neuropathic pain and the depression and anxiety that comes with chronic pain. I was on Doxepin when I ruptured a disk in my neck - and it helped. You could ask you doctor about trying one of these and see how you do

Marty on 2/21/03 at 15:57 (110202)

Isn't neurontin considered to be a pain killer/anti depressant?

I remember when I feel water skiing and landed on my ear. The pain I felt was like someone sticking a screw driver in my ear, I was so dizzy I couldn't even get in the boat. Had to be dragged in the boat. I went to the doctor and he told me I just had a pin hole size tear in my ear drum. The next year my son did the same thing. He got up in the boat and said his ear hurt a little. We were down at Lake Powell for week when we got home he said he couldn't hear out of that ear so he went to the doctor. Come to find he completely tore his ear drum off and had to have it put back on with some sort of patch inserted into his ear. I could tell you many more stories about this kid. Unbelievable! amount of pain tolerance.

This is proof that there's more to it then just being a wimp.

Re: What Neurontin is

Sharon W on 2/21/03 at 16:21 (110204)

Marty,

Actually, Neurontin is an anti-spasmotic (for people with seizures), and I believe that is still its only OFFICIAL (FDA-sanctioned) use. However, 'off-label' uses for this drug include relieving nerve pain (obviously) and relieving depression (a fairly new use for the drug, and one I suspect may be successful for some patients primarily BECAUSE chronic pain often leads to depression!)

Sharon

Pauline on 2/21/03 at 17:47 (110221)

Would the same genetic makeup hold true for the way people deal with adversities in their life not just pain?????

Sharon W on 2/21/03 at 18:06 (110225)

Good question.

Sharon

Bev N on 2/21/03 at 22:34 (110268)

Actually, they are trying neurontin 400 mg. for hot flashes now :)--Bev

Sharon W on 2/22/03 at 00:45 (110274)

Cool! I didn't know about that one. (So, maybe I won't get hot flashes!) :o)

Sharon