Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for the pedorthists.

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 2/21/03 at 20:13 (110249)

BC, Richard:

I recently answered John's question on the 'treatments' board concerning rocker soles.

I often order distal rocker soles for hallux limitus/rigidus. Is there any convention or standardization as to what constitutes a 'mild,' 'moderate,' or 'severe' distal rocker sole? I know what to order intuitively and know what I will get from the pedorthists I use most often but may see a different interpretation of that order when patients go to pedorthist or ortho. shoe shop out of the area.
Ed

Re: Question for the pedorthists.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/22/03 at 09:19 (110291)

Ed,
Almost all the doctors I work with pretty much leave the material selection up to me, unless they have something specific in mind they want to use. I do have a few podiatrists that want me to fill their scripts exactly as they want. Pretty much I decide what type of material for soles as well as orthotics after spending time just chatting with the patients. While talking, I listen and try to find out what their lifestyle is like, such as being active or just walking around the house.

I also judge on their level of pain. If the toe is extremely ridgid, I will do a good rocker sole, but I may also add a strip or carboplast in order to get a more 'solid' rocker. We also sometimes add a layer of the carbon to the orthosis, heat it, then bend it slightly to add rocker. It seems to work very well.

I usualy tell my patients what I have in mind for them, but also let them know that I most often change my mind during construction. That is when I really start thinking about what they need.

Hope that helps.
Richard

Re: Question for the pedorthists.

BGCPed on 2/23/03 at 21:20 (110561)

There is no standard scale that I am aware of. I usually base it on the degree of rigidity and activity level. I also check position of 1st ray. I see too many fo that have a varus ff post on pt with rigid or plantarflexed 1st. If you post under 1st you preload the shaft and rob it of a few degrees of what motion it has left.

I like to use springlite brand graphite plates. not all people will wear a shoe with a build up that is visible. I try to get them into an athletic running type shoe then use a plate with an fo. I think in some pedorthic books they show different types of rockers but not a standard of measuring them